Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2021, 08:41 AM

7,978 posts, read 7,330,791 times

Advertisements

We have two joint checking accounts, one with a national brand and one with a local bank. ATM cards for both. The national account is "my" account and the local one is "my wife's".

The national brand has the latest whiz-bang technology and does everything you could imagine.

I just found out this weekend the local bank's ATM does not accept deposits (luckily the drive-up was still open). I know I can deposit a check using my Smart Phone and the bank's app, but what if I wanted to deposit cash? That seems weird to me. Is it very common for a bank to simply not accept ATM deposits in the year 2021?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2021, 11:17 AM

2,741 posts, read 2,981,608 times
Maybe the hopper is full. Did you try calling the bank and asking?

Old 04-19-2021, 11:31 AM

7,978 posts, read 7,330,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
Maybe the hopper is full. Did you try calling the bank and asking?
Sorry, I didn't give all the details. Although you are implying it's not common.

On Saturday morning when I tried to make a deposit and withdrawal at the same time, for convenience, I could make the withdrawal but there was no touchscreen "button" for making a deposit. So seeing that the drive-up was still open I went to the drive-up teller. She told me that their ATM's do not take deposits. I took care to clarify that the machine was not simply broken at that time. She indicated that no, it never accepts deposits, period.

Unusual in 2021, right?

Old 04-19-2021, 02:25 PM

37,480 posts, read 45,746,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Sorry, I didn't give all the details. Although you are implying it's not common.

On Saturday morning when I tried to make a deposit and withdrawal at the same time, for convenience, I could make the withdrawal but there was no touchscreen "button" for making a deposit. So seeing that the drive-up was still open I went to the drive-up teller. She told me that their ATM's do not take deposits. I took care to clarify that the machine was not simply broken at that time. She indicated that no, it never accepts deposits, period.

Unusual in 2021, right?
One would think. In order to make a local deposit, I now have to go to a BB&T branch, as they closed my old SunTrust branch. I went one evening right after work to make a deposit at the ATM and was stunned to see that there was no deposit feature. I had to takeoff work the next day to make the deposit. I thought maybe it was just something that they had to fix… And honestly I forgot about it until I read this post. So I’m going to call them and find out. It’s kind of ridiculous that you can’t make a deposit at an ATM. I can certainly make them at any of the other SunTrust branches. I have done so since then.

Old 04-19-2021, 02:29 PM

106,090 posts, read 108,054,666 times
I go to my corner chase and always make deposits with the teller ..never bothered to deposit an occasional check via an atm

Old 04-19-2021, 02:48 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,545,884 times
ive never felt comfortable with a deposit left in an atm. if i cant deposit it with my phone, ill go to the teller. definitely would be very nervous about depositing cash into an atm.

Old 04-19-2021, 02:52 PM

37,480 posts, read 45,746,600 times
I would never deposit cash via an ATM either. I am talking about depositing checks, and have deposited checks in an ATM for many many years and never had an issue

Old 04-19-2021, 09:27 PM

9,798 posts, read 7,607,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
ive never felt comfortable with a deposit left in an atm. if i cant deposit it with my phone, ill go to the teller. definitely would be very nervous about depositing cash into an atm.
Same here. I go through the drive through if I have cash.

Old 04-19-2021, 09:42 PM

13,011 posts, read 12,989,169 times
I use Chase, and their ATMs accept checks. I can also deposit via phone app by taking a picture of the check. On a personal level, I don't think that I have deposited cash into an account in ... 30 years?

Even checks are very rare. My employer pays travel reimbursement by check rather than direct deposit, so pre-pandemic I would get 6-8 of those a year. From other sources I might get the odd check as a rebate or similar, but those are probably no more frequent than 2 times/year.

I have done cash business deposits, but that has either been done by armored car or at the teller. In the past year, my wife's small business has become virtually all electronic, so even for business purposes cash deposits have become a non-issue.

All of which is to say it does not surprise me that smaller banks might not support cash deposits via ATM. They cannot get many of them, and I suspect the machinery to accept them is an additional expense.

Old 04-19-2021, 09:43 PM

17,703 posts, read 15,416,167 times
I only use the deposit function on the bank app on my phone.

That capability was a game changer when it came out several years ago.

I try to avoid the bank and ATM when possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance