Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2021, 07:39 PM

779 posts, read 425,576 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the input everyone. To answer a few questions/comments:

It will be a goldfish pond, not a koi pond. About 1000-1500gal. We'd rather have a nice big school of Comet and Shubunkin goldfish than a few large koi.

We purchased current house last summer with the expectation of staying a long time. Obviously things can happen out of our control, things can come up, but we don't intend to move any time soon. We are relatively late to start a family (I'm 36, wife 40) and we fully intend to be "one and done". But even if that didn't end up being the case we have room in the house.

I think the main thing is this is the first time we're thinking of doing something to a house that's "just for us". The previous house we knew we weren't going to stay long term. So we did maintenance, kept things up, fixed what needed fixed. But it was all needs, no wants. Now I'm having a little difficulty giving myself permission to spend on a want.

I think we do definitely need to start better defining what our savings are for. Put things into different buckets that are going towards a specific goal/item.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2021, 07:43 PM

10,366 posts, read 8,004,461 times
One non-financial thing to consider: you'll need a sturdy fence at least 4 feet high around the pond (not just a fence around the yard), or you're looking at a potential tragedy down the road when your new baby becomes an active and busy toddler. Will the impact of the fence mar the aesthetics of the pond for you? Because that fence is NOT optional!

Personally I'd wait until the last of your kids is well past the mobile-but-stupid stage before putting in any sort of large water feature, just because the fencing needed to make such a water feature reasonably safe for a household with small children would spoil the aesthetics of it in my eyes.

Last edited by Aredhel; 07-26-2021 at 07:57 PM..

Old 07-26-2021, 07:56 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,848,314 times
Those who save for a comfortable, long-lasting retirement, are typically a little conservative, if not frugal - during their pre-retirement years. Then, after one retires, it's often difficult to loosen-up and enjoy the situation one has saved towards for many years.

Having grown-up poor, I found it difficult during my working years (most of my adult life) to not overly fret about financial matters. I even carried this attitude into retirement, but, have learned to live comfortably and enjoy what I saved for. (My "comfort level" still includes an awareness of financial matters, but, not concern or worry.

One thing that helped was to simply put all our bills/payments/spending on auto-pay and only look at statements every month or two ... to ensure there are no large, unexpected/ unauthorized expenditures.

Old 07-26-2021, 07:59 PM

3,066 posts, read 3,330,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplechamp View Post
Thanks for the input everyone. To answer a few questions/comments:

It will be a goldfish pond, not a koi pond. About 1000-1500gal. We'd rather have a nice big school of Comet and Shubunkin goldfish than a few large koi.

We purchased current house last summer with the expectation of staying a long time. Obviously things can happen out of our control, things can come up, but we don't intend to move any time soon. We are relatively late to start a family (I'm 36, wife 40) and we fully intend to be "one and done". But even if that didn't end up being the case we have room in the house.

I think the main thing is this is the first time we're thinking of doing something to a house that's "just for us". The previous house we knew we weren't going to stay long term. So we did maintenance, kept things up, fixed what needed fixed. But it was all needs, no wants. Now I'm having a little difficulty giving myself permission to spend on a want.

I think we do definitely need to start better defining what our savings are for. Put things into different buckets that are going towards a specific goal/item.
There is a point where you need to enjoy the money. A goldfish pond may fill that bill. This may be your cruise, fancy vacation, fancy car. Put in a barbie to entertain friends. Your choice. Maybe this is your choice of hobby you can do together.

There is a point to have fun with money, be generous with the charity of your choice.

Old 07-26-2021, 08:00 PM

26,194 posts, read 21,621,745 times
I’d never spend 15k on a goldfish pond but I would spend that on a saltwater fish tank + goodies so it’s all relative I guess. It’s a lot of money though and not a purchase I’d make on a whim or if I wasn’t solidly on track for all my other financial goals

Old 07-27-2021, 12:33 AM

6,777 posts, read 5,498,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplechamp View Post
Maybe frivolous isn't the right word. But spending on things strictly for enjoyment when there are other more responsible places the money could go.

So my wife and I love aquariums and fishkeeping. And one thing we have both wanted for awhile is a goldfish/koi pond. And now that we're in a house we plan on being in for the foreseeable future we decided to move forward with it. We met with the company we want to use and they quoted $15k for what we wanted. It was a bit higher than we anticipated but we're thinking we'll probably move forward with it.

But then I get this back and forth going in my head something like this:

For building the pond - We will pay cash and it's only a small fraction of our savings. We don't have any debt except the house. We're working towards paying off the house early. We have excellent retirement savings for our age group. Last year we did the work that the house needed (roof, tree removal, appliances). Now we want something for enjoyment. What's the point of saving if we can't spend some of it on things purely for enjoyment.

Against building the pond - We do still have $200k left on mortgage. We have a baby girl born this year. You should put that towards the mortgage. You should put that towards a college fund. You should put that in your retirement savings.

Any thoughts? How do you balance out decisions like this?

In our monthly budget we have no issue balancing wants, needs, and savings. I guess the thing is when it comes to savings we haven't earmarked what we are saving for. Maybe we need to do a better job of that going forward.
Simplechamp,

I know it's what you "want", but how about you compromise?

Reduce your expectations, do some/all of the work yourself, go fir a smaller pond.

In the words of Sophia Petrillo on The Golden Girls:
Picture it, small upstate NY town, mobile home park:

The tongue, even though covered with wood top and plastic skirting sides, really bothered me.

I got the "standard 5'(?) Long kidney shaped preformed pond with two shelf's for plants" and began my plan.

I stacked the wedge shape small retaining wall blocks (gray, other colors available) in a curved shape around the tongue and used 4x8x 16" hollow space cinder blocks for the back against the tongue and trailer (they wouldn't be seen).
I had, to keep the weight of the 6 stacked blocks even, dug about 8" down and using a few rebar pieces, mixed and poured a 4" concrete base and leveled that. That would ensure it to stable, even and in order for years to come.
I dug down 1' to recess the deepest part of the preformed pond in the ground, settled it in and back filled with dirt.

I bought a "rock waterfall" (plastic), the necessary pump and filtering equipment, and piped the water up to top of "rock waterfall" so it would tumble down into the pond.

Bought a few koi, a few water plants and the anti algae solution, wired it up under the trailer.
I planted nice plants in the dirt around the pond.

It was "spactacular", if I do say so myself. And that was verified by the neighbors!

Somewhere I have photographs, but who knows where.

One thing I can alert you to, is that unless fenced in securely, the feral cats, domestic cats or other wild animals kept making a meal out of my koi, even though the koi had plenty of places to hide in and around the plants.
Black bear were known to live in the nearby woods, so maybe they made a meal out of my fish.

Now, I grant you, that it cost about $600(?) At the time about 16 years ago to build this, and that you might want an actual rock formed waterfall, and a bigger pond, but I was working with a smaller space, and you might not physically be able to execute the digging/building if said feature, but my main point is why not just build or have built a smaller feature, perhaps one that can be expanded in the future??

One this is, an outdoor pond does require a LOT more attention, care and maintenance than even my 60 gallon salt water fish tank inside.

The sun will make algae grow, wildlife eating your fish, changing the filtration system more frequently, maintaining the algea control and other water related control, feeding, etc.

I even had the hd the water heater set in for winter freezing time, which had to be regulated so as to adjust to temperature and so as to not freeze or fry the fish.
Then there was plant maintenance in and around the pond.

Fir me, it became a "labor of love", and I thoroughly enjoyed the comments from neighbors walking or driving by.

I kept it going for about 8 years, through, and as the fish would be eaten or gone by winter, I could shut down the pond, drain and store the pump, but eventually it was too much.

I drained/pulled the preformed pond filled with dirt, and turned the ample space into a veggie garden Instead.... requiring less maintenance.

So, while you may have funds to pay, if you are asking the question if whether to spend $15k on it, you have doubts about it.

So maybe have a water feature, but choose to spend say $5k to set a basic but expandable system.

And while mine was simple, and the waterfall ricks DID look "fake and plastic", that's my point...maybe keep it simple.

You might find, after a while that moderating temp, algae control in the sun, fish being eaten, leaf removal in fall, spring cleanup that it might be more than you bargained for, and may just wish for a simple water feature.

If you've got the funds, go ahead and do it.

But if you're even asking the question, you might want to reduce expectations, do some of the work yourself, and set up a future expandable smaller system.

You could do waterfall and a higher smaller pond, that could be expanded by adding another waterfall or overflow trough to go into a future lower larger pond, fir example.

Best to you as you figure and plan.

(PS, I'm 58 now, I was about 40 at the time, so all that work was easier on me, and didn't involve 800# rocks strategically placed!)

Old 07-27-2021, 03:45 AM

10,614 posts, read 12,147,558 times
Get the pond!

Old 07-27-2021, 09:52 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,797,180 times
Better to leave this world happy, then regretting the joy you could have had. Please make sure it's fenced off (from the child, little ones can be persistent in breaching gates) and have a nice time relaxing by the pond...

Old 07-27-2021, 09:53 AM

779 posts, read 425,576 times
So we actually already have what I would consider a water garden/feature. Was already installed when we bought house. It's the molded tub (100-150gal) with some pond liner creating a small stream area. It's nice, we've enjoyed it. But for us it definitely falls short of what we'd really want. It's too small/shallow to overwinter fish (we're in MI). Also the liner portion is very old, starting to crack and lose water, needs replaced. It was enough to wet our whistles, but if we're going to tear that out and put something in we want to get what we really want.

As far as the DIY portion. I don't mind yardwork. I don't mind house maintenance and smaller projects. While I can only speculate based on maintaining the current water feature, I won't mind pond maintenance. I actually enjoy it as part of the hobby. But installing the pond myself is a no-go. I'm just not equipped or motivated to move that amount of dirt, move giant rocks, etc. Nor do I think I have the skill to do as good a job. We talked about DIY but I think we'd end up compromising too much, ending up with something sub-par based on what I'm capable of and willing to do myself.

We certainly do have doubts about spending this amount of money on a pond. We have these doubts during any big purchase. I don't think we'd be where we are financially if we didn't do that. But at the same time I don't want to be so caught up with the need to save, that we forget what we're saving for. And part of that is being able to have a nice house with the features we want.

When we first moved into this house the plan was to re-do the kitchen as our first "big ticket" thing. It's pretty dated but everything is in good shape. Then the other night my wife says to me "I don't care about the kitchen anymore, I'm fine with it as it is, I'd much rather do the pond. I think we'll get more enjoyment out of that." Which was music to my ears! I wanted the pond more too but wasn't going to win that battle LOL.

I guess the thing is now when we're about to write a check the doubt comes in. We'll talk about it one more time tonight but we're pretty set on moving forward I think.

Old 07-27-2021, 10:41 AM

26,194 posts, read 21,621,745 times
What’s 15k in relation to your income? What are you retirement savings/ overall investments? Debt?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance