Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2021, 02:47 PM

779 posts, read 425,576 times

Advertisements

Maybe frivolous isn't the right word. But spending on things strictly for enjoyment when there are other more responsible places the money could go.

So my wife and I love aquariums and fishkeeping. And one thing we have both wanted for awhile is a goldfish/koi pond. And now that we're in a house we plan on being in for the foreseeable future we decided to move forward with it. We met with the company we want to use and they quoted $15k for what we wanted. It was a bit higher than we anticipated but we're thinking we'll probably move forward with it.

But then I get this back and forth going in my head something like this:

For building the pond - We will pay cash and it's only a small fraction of our savings. We don't have any debt except the house. We're working towards paying off the house early. We have excellent retirement savings for our age group. Last year we did the work that the house needed (roof, tree removal, appliances). Now we want something for enjoyment. What's the point of saving if we can't spend some of it on things purely for enjoyment.

Against building the pond - We do still have $200k left on mortgage. We have a baby girl born this year. You should put that towards the mortgage. You should put that towards a college fund. You should put that in your retirement savings.

Any thoughts? How do you balance out decisions like this?

In our monthly budget we have no issue balancing wants, needs, and savings. I guess the thing is when it comes to savings we haven't earmarked what we are saving for. Maybe we need to do a better job of that going forward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2021, 02:56 PM

5,907 posts, read 4,440,392 times
“You can’t take it with you. The Egyptians tried, and all they got was robbed” Denzel Washington

Old 07-26-2021, 04:05 PM

4,441 posts, read 8,139,975 times
The way I look at it, if you've covered most of the bases then splurge a little with the understanding that you'll have to catch up in another category. If your baby was just born, you'll have several years to build up a college fund.

Maybe create a fun fund that you contribute to with the understanding that any spending from it is guilt free?

Old 07-26-2021, 04:20 PM

815 posts, read 983,179 times
If you have thought it through and researched and firmly believe that a koi pond would contribute to your happiness, then you should definitely invest the money with no guilt whatsoever.

I have always been very frugal and am grateful to be financially secure, but I do regret not spending a little more money when I was younger on things that brought me joy.

A koi pond sounds wonderful!

Old 07-26-2021, 04:38 PM

27,622 posts, read 28,714,640 times
Hmm... let's see. A $15,000 koi pond, or a new born baby girl? Which one should take priority in one's life?

Let's think about this one for a while.

Old 07-26-2021, 05:05 PM

23,353 posts, read 18,930,669 times
Another angle to consider this from: how long you plan to stay in this house. Especially as your family is now expanding. Whether investing in such a specific feature as a large koi pond would be an asset to the property or a liability. Are you likely to get more or less for the property when you do sell it? For some, a backyard pond is a liability and maintenance headache. I understand you'd get pleasure out of the pond (and I am someone who doesn't think every single house decision needs to be made based on resale value), but if you are being diligent about the direct and indirect costs of your hobby, this additional aspect might help tip the scale one way or another.

Old 07-26-2021, 05:18 PM

37,647 posts, read 46,061,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplechamp View Post
Maybe frivolous isn't the right word. But spending on things strictly for enjoyment when there are other more responsible places the money could go.

So my wife and I love aquariums and fishkeeping. And one thing we have both wanted for awhile is a goldfish/koi pond. And now that we're in a house we plan on being in for the foreseeable future we decided to move forward with it. We met with the company we want to use and they quoted $15k for what we wanted. It was a bit higher than we anticipated but we're thinking we'll probably move forward with it.

But then I get this back and forth going in my head something like this:

For building the pond - We will pay cash and it's only a small fraction of our savings. We don't have any debt except the house. We're working towards paying off the house early. We have excellent retirement savings for our age group. Last year we did the work that the house needed (roof, tree removal, appliances). Now we want something for enjoyment. What's the point of saving if we can't spend some of it on things purely for enjoyment.

Against building the pond - We do still have $200k left on mortgage. We have a baby girl born this year. You should put that towards the mortgage. You should put that towards a college fund. You should put that in your retirement savings.

Any thoughts? How do you balance out decisions like this?

In our monthly budget we have no issue balancing wants, needs, and savings. I guess the thing is when it comes to savings we haven't earmarked what we are saving for. Maybe we need to do a better job of that going forward.
As long as I could fund the college savings, then sure. But college savings has to come first, in my book.

Old 07-26-2021, 05:34 PM

9,364 posts, read 14,134,458 times
Koi grow really big while goldfish can use a smaller pond for a long time. That might be your compromise money-wise.

Old 07-26-2021, 05:51 PM

4,441 posts, read 8,139,975 times
Koi can become very valuable so consider it a backdoor college fund lol

Old 07-26-2021, 06:03 PM

10,614 posts, read 12,147,558 times
I, also, debate wants vs needs....sometimes -- many times to ad nauseum.
Get the pond.

You've said:
-- You'll pay cash and it's only a small fraction of your savings.
-- You don't have any debt except the house.
-- You're working towards paying off the house early.
-- You have excellent retirement savings for your age group.

You're not robbing your baby's college fund. You have plenty of time for that. I'm sure you'll make regular contributions to a fund for that.

You only live once. Be happy.

You didn't get to where you are financially but NOT being responsible. I think it's clear you ARE responsible.

People act like parents have to save every dime for an education fund so they can pay for all four years their kid's college out of pocket. Uh, no they don't. Would it be great to have money -- perhaps even half or most of the money for it? yes. But it's not like parents need to pay for undergrad and grad school -- NO loans, NO grants, NO scholarships, NO working on the kid's part.

OP, I'm sure you'll have money set aside for college....IF the kid even wants to go to college.

Some people responded as if you said you couldn't afford food and diapers or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance