Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 01:21 AM

432 posts, read 1,659,811 times

Advertisements

What are the pros and cons of a money market deposit account? Does a money market deposit aco**** accrue interest on the principal amount that you put in on a daily basis? Can you always deposit more money into the money market deposit account? What questions should I ask the bank institution before I open up an account? Can someone tell an in-depth information about compounded interest because I just know that it is interest growing off previous interest, but I need an example of like say $2,000 USD in a newly-established account so how does compounded interest come into play, is it monthly or quarterly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 06:43 AM

702 posts, read 3,010,173 times
Money market are mutual funds. You buy shares that are $1 per share and never fluctuate. Every month, you'll earn a dividend that will be reinvested into the account. Essentially, this is just like interest.

For example, let's say you have $100 to put in a money market. You would then buy 100 shares of $1 each in a money market account. Lets say it earns 1% per month (Usually money markets are around 3%-5% a year, this is for simplicity sake). After the first month, you'll earn a $1 dividend that will be reinvested into the fund. So after the first month, you'll have $101. The next month, you'll earn $3.03 (3% of $101). This is compounding interest since your interest increases. Of course, this assumes the 1% that you earn per month is constant, which is not the case in money market mutual funds. They go up and down since a lot of funds invest in treasuries and some bonds. Overall, the interest rates are usually higher than checking accounts because there is a risk since it is not FDIC insured, which means, there is a possibility that the fund can go below $1 a share, which means you will lose money. However, it has never happened and is considered the safest of all mutual funds. It is also very liquid, which means you can pull it out anytime you want and some brokerages even offer check writing privileges.

Pros:
Usually earns more money than regular bank checking/savings account.

Cons:
Not FDIC insured.

Old 05-15-2008, 07:06 AM

Thank you for the advice, but I wasn't talking about money market mutual funds, but a money market deposit account which I know that it is a high interest saving account!

Old 05-15-2008, 08:11 AM

823 posts, read 3,688,614 times
Because of the drop in interest rates no money market is paying high interest. I use a money market fund as a plce to keep my emergency money. For higher, safe interest rate buy I bonds. Vanguard & Fidelity have the best money market mutual funds.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:33 AM

879 posts, read 1,962,164 times
The pros of a MMA are that they generally pay more interest than a regular ol' savings account. Interest usually compounds daily (sometimes monthly) and is usually credited monthly, depending on the bank. The cons--if you can call them cons--are that you're limited to 6 withdrawals per month and many banks have minimum deposit/balance requirements for getting the higher interest rates.

If I were opening an account, I'd ask:

1) How often is interest compounded and credited?
2) Is there checkwriting?
3) What minimum balances are required for the different interest rates?

Here's a page from Bankrate.com that lists various MMAs and gives you an idea of what to look for:

Money Market High Yield ( MMA ) and Savings Account Rates

Old 05-15-2008, 09:00 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,093,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BORGUSX View Post
What are the pros and cons of a money market deposit account? Does a money market deposit aco**** accrue interest on the principal amount that you put in on a daily basis? Can you always deposit more money into the money market deposit account? What questions should I ask the bank institution before I open up an account? Can someone tell an in-depth information about compounded interest because I just know that it is interest growing off previous interest, but I need an example of like say $2,000 USD in a newly-established account so how does compounded interest come into play, is it monthly or quarterly?
At what banks are paying, dont owrry about "compounded interest".. Inflation is eating away more then compounded interest is acruing..

Old 05-15-2008, 11:05 AM

So, what kind of bonds should I look into, norm?

Old 05-15-2008, 07:18 PM

Quote:
So, what kind of bonds should I look into, norm?
He said I-bonds. Now is not a good time to buy I-bonds, IMO. As of this month, the fixed rate, which lasts the life of the bond, is 0%! There's also an inflation-adjusted rate, which is adjusted every 6 months. That one will ensure that your real return won't be negative, anyway. Now there's an investment to get excited about, eh?

I was a big fan of I-bonds a few years ago. When I bought mine, the fixed rate was 3%. Those babies are currently paying 7.84%. Not bad for a risk-free investment, especially these days.

Old 05-16-2008, 09:01 AM

Is still a good idea to open a Vanguard Star Fund because people on this forum told me to get at least $1,000 and open this fund?! Is anyone willing to help me with the jargon at the Vanguard's Star Fund webpage? I'm a scared 18 years old boy, lol! P.S. I will get a job and can you put the Star Fund into a ROTH IRA?

Old 05-16-2008, 09:18 AM

Quote:
...can you put the Star Fund into a ROTH IRA?
As I said in your other thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongArm
You can stick a mutual fund INSIDE of your Roth IRA. A Roth isn't an investment in and of itself. It's just a vehicle for which to PLACE investments in order to gain favorable tax treatment. If you want the Star Fund, open a Roth and purchase the fund within the Roth.
And yes, I like the Star Fund, particularly for people like you who are new to investing. If you have questions on the Vanguard jargon, feel free to PM me or ask 'em here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance