Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 06:25 PM

6 posts, read 8,814 times

Advertisements

I make 90k a year but I do not have any savings or retirement. I have been working for year and half after graduation but I have paid off my student loan 35k and paying for my younger brothers Tution. I am single and I wanted a reality check if I am making stupid a** decision of not having any savings so far. I plan to get married next year which will put in abt another 50k ( big Indian wedding ). I know I will be getting a raise in jan 2016 to abt 95k a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2015, 07:15 AM

18,550 posts, read 15,626,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkan View Post
I make 90k a year but I do not have any savings or retirement. I have been working for year and half after graduation but I have paid off my student loan 35k and paying for my younger brothers Tution. I am single and I wanted a reality check if I am making stupid a** decision of not having any savings so far. I plan to get married next year which will put in abt another 50k ( big Indian wedding ). I know I will be getting a raise in jan 2016 to abt 95k a year.
$50k for a wedding when you have no savings of any kind? Yes, this is dumb. Don't do it, don't do it, don't do it!!!

Old 04-19-2015, 07:26 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,261,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
$50k for a wedding when you have no savings of any kind? Yes, this is dumb. Don't do it, don't do it, don't do it!!!
Not an option. When it comes to culture, family, or religion, sometimes you just have to obey the customs. Nothing is worth being boycotted by family for the rest of your life. Thankfully the OP seems to be able to afford this one-time beast of an expense.

Old 04-19-2015, 07:39 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,220,189 times
You make a lot for being a recent college grad. Just start with a small percentage contribution toward retirement, and increase it gradually. The more you contribute when you're young, the better.

Old 04-19-2015, 07:52 AM

18,550 posts, read 15,626,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmFest View Post
Not an option. When it comes to culture, family, or religion, sometimes you just have to obey the customs. Nothing is worth being boycotted by family for the rest of your life. Thankfully the OP seems to be able to afford this one-time beast of an expense.
The problem with this way of thinking is, what's to say they won't demand the same thing for funerals and other ceremonies as the wedding? Is it really a one-time thing? What if OP gets divorced and re-marries? Another $50k?

Would a loving family really force you to spend your golden years eating dog food? It's hard to say but this seems a real risk.

OP can always just cancel the credit cards and then tell the family that a $50k wedding is impossible because there is no credit. It's not even a white lie as long as OP doesn't say the CC company closed the account. But in this case I would argue even a white lie could be justified if the alternative is to put your new household in grave financial danger.

Old 04-19-2015, 07:52 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,280,517 times
Before I even finished your post I was thinking "this guy sounds Indian". lol. You don't need us to tell you that you need to save.

Old 04-19-2015, 07:53 AM

2,432 posts, read 2,698,194 times
A savings is number 1 priority to me, and important to anyone! You never know what could happen down the road or loosing job, illness ect. I say at least 20k in savings at all times (more possibly if you live in a higher cost of living area). I wouldnt get married until finances were in order, expecially if you HAVE to spend 50k (over half your yearly wages) on a wedding!

Old 04-19-2015, 07:56 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,751,586 times
How old are you?

I think it's fine if you are just out of school, and you are obviously concerned about it. But, you did pay off your student loan, helped your brother. If you want to spend 50k on your wedding that is your choice. I would make sure with your boss first that your job is secure. You are an at-will employee and could be laid off in a moments notice, if that happened and you just finished spending 50k on a wedding without any savings what would you think?

I always suggest people have a savings account with "oh sh** money" set aside. "Oh sh** money" is for when surprises happen. Once you have that you should relax a bit on the savings, don't stop saving just relax on it (and of course plan for retirement).

Old 04-19-2015, 08:20 AM

466 posts, read 645,501 times
I am familiar with Indian customs for large weddings, but not with who pays for them? Don't the parents of the bride or groom traditionally contribute?

Old 04-19-2015, 08:56 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,261,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
The problem with this way of thinking is, what's to say they won't demand the same thing for funerals and other ceremonies as the wedding? Is it really a one-time thing? What if OP gets divorced and re-marries? Another $50k?

Would a loving family really force you to spend your golden years eating dog food? It's hard to say but this seems a real risk.

OP can always just cancel the credit cards and then tell the family that a $50k wedding is impossible because there is no credit. It's not even a white lie as long as OP doesn't say the CC company closed the account. But in this case I would argue even a white lie could be justified if the alternative is to put your new household in grave financial danger.
I surely would not expect you to understand Indian customs if you have never traveled to Asia or have frequent contact with people from Asia. You do not understand how families are structured in Asia. Just like religion, culture is something you do not rationalize. Except for you maybe , because you have a tendency to rationalize everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance