Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2021, 02:29 PM

315 posts, read 300,450 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Hi all. For the experienced financial professionals among us.....I have $2500 available every month to split into paying these outstanding loan balances. How should I split the payments percentage-wise to achieve the least interest burden? Thanks in advance for your advice, suggestions, participation, etc.

Personal Loan......$1900 [ 11.23% interest]
Credit Cards........$1800 [21%]
Care Credit.........$2450 [18%]
Auto Loan...........$8100 [10.74%]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2021, 02:35 PM

5,907 posts, read 4,431,507 times
Pay off the credit card first with available funds. You’d achieve the least interest burden by paying off the highest interest first without regard for the total amount of balance.

Credit, care, personal, then auto.

None are tax deductible debts so that’s not a consideration either.

Old 08-13-2021, 02:38 PM

1,955 posts, read 1,760,204 times
Snowball.

Each month, make minimum payments on each loan except for the one with the highest interest rate. Put all of the rest of the money into the highest interest rate loan. Do that until the first one (Credit cards) is paid off.

Repeat. Each month, make minimum payments on each loan except for the one with the highest interest rate. Put all of the rest of the money into the highest remaining interest rate loan. Do this until the second one (Care credit) is paid off.

Repeat until debt is gone. This results in the least amount of interest paid overall. Good luck!

Old 08-13-2021, 03:54 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,785,743 times
IMO - Best is to pay OFF the high interest loan, NOT make a minimum payment on each!! Pay as much as you can between those that are left - starting w/the highest interest rate one (care - whatever that is).

Old 08-13-2021, 07:13 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
There’s two snowball methods. Smallest balance first rolled to the next or largest interest first rolled to the next. The smallest balance often is more successful even though it’s not the best mathematically. Why? Because people see results faster and it’s positive reinforcement for the change they have made. Personal finance is personal

Old 08-13-2021, 09:14 PM

3,048 posts, read 3,315,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheuss View Post
Hi all,

Hi all. For the experienced financial professionals among us.....I have $2500 available every month to split into paying these outstanding loan balances. How should I split the payments percentage-wise to achieve the least interest burden? Thanks in advance for your advice, suggestions, participation, etc.

Personal Loan......$1900 [ 11.23% interest]
Credit Cards........$1800 [21%]
Care Credit.........$2450 [18%]
Auto Loan...........$8100 [10.74%]
Before you start on debt be sure all other bills are current. Your house, utilities. Cut the cable bill, cut extra phone charges. Get current with minimum payments on all loans & don't buy anything on credit.

Then start with Credit Cards, smallest to largest. Kill the small ones first. Getting rid of that 21% interest will help the most. With $2500 get it done in a month or 2. Start October with no credit card debt. Maybe set up calendar schedule so you pay each one as it comes due. Pay the current balance before the statement date.

Second do Personal Loan. With $1800 not going to credit cards + $2500 pay it off in October.

Third do Care Credit next. With $1800 in credit cards gone & $1900 in personal loan gone use $2500 to pay that off in November.

Fourth do Auto Loan. Keep payments current while you payoff Credit Cards, Personal Loan, Care Credit. One option may be to save the $2500 and keep with the program paying down the loan. In 4 months maybe have $8,000 to use. The loan may be in the $7000 range by then to payoff by March.

So by April 1 don't be a fool be debt free (except for the house).

Once this is cleaned up maybe use Credit Karma to find a lower interest credit card or get a no fee rewards card. For spending $2500 maybe get $25 back.

Old 08-14-2021, 12:08 AM

Wait a sec. Before engaging these techniques should I attempt re-financing first? I was out discussing all these tips with a buddy and he told me if it's possible to drop the interest rates with a refinance. wow, all this is so new info to learn about.

Old 08-14-2021, 06:13 AM

6,817 posts, read 11,545,464 times
Quote:
Wait a sec. Before engaging these techniques should I attempt re-financing first? I was out discussing all these tips with a buddy and he told me if it's possible to drop the interest rates with a refinance. wow, all this is so new info to learn about.
Following GWoodle’s plan, you are going to have everything paid off (except the car) by the end of the year or close to it. I wouldn’t mess with “refinancing” anything. Just get everything paid off, then use the $2500 for several months to establish a good emergency account so you don’t find yourself in the same boat again.

Old 08-14-2021, 06:58 AM

5,907 posts, read 4,431,507 times
Quote:
You’re kind of giving us a black box scenario, but seeing as how you say you now have $2,500 of free cash flow, I wouldn’t think it’s worth it to spend all that time and effort to “refinance” (and I don’t see how you’d do that on many of those items anyways). The debt would be gone in 5 to 7 months anyways.

Old 08-14-2021, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
You’re kind of giving us a black box scenario, but seeing as how you say you now have $2,500 of free cash flow, I wouldn’t think it’s worth it to spend all that time and effort to “refinance” (and I don’t see how you’d do that on many of those items anyways). The debt would be gone in 5 to 7 months anyways.
Ok, so refinancing is a bad idea?. Is there anything else to it besides paperwork or online forms?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance