Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2021, 02:16 PM

500 posts, read 571,277 times

Advertisements

This has happened to me twice in the last 20 years or so. Both times, the credit card company called me to verify a suspicious transaction before I even knew it had happened. Also, both times they were quick to remove the charge and send me a new card.

I don't allow "card not present" transactions on any but one card. That includes online transactions. The card that can work online gets alerts for transactions over $100. I have a separate bank account that is used for cash withdrawals and I only keep about $200 in it. That limits what can be taken out should my debit card info get stolen. I rarely need cash anyway so it works. My main bank account debit cards are locked up.

I don't know anyone who has been stuck with a bad charge. Bigger risk is that you don't check your statements carefully and don't realize a bad charge is even there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2021, 03:08 PM

61,637 posts, read 86,981,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
You should check yours online on a regular basis. A month is a lot of time for fraud to add up.
I have fraud protection (free offer from the banks) and purchase notifications to the phone.
I like to use my two main cards per GPay application where I need to go through quick two-factor verification. The setting is pretty secure.
Wireless and contactless purchases are the best because mobile payments and contactless cards don’t transmit your name, card number, or three-digit security code.
All my cards are stored in aluminum sleeves.

Old 09-21-2021, 08:06 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,140,218 times
My AmX Platinum gets compromised every c. 18 months. I really don't care, other than the mild annoyance factor of updating my encrypted utilities that keep all the important stuff locked away. That's AmX's problem. They're good about catching it, I notice, and I can guess how but don't care enough to examine it all that closely. I'm in IT (Cloud apps) not security. The latter is a fascinating discipline with good growth potential...staying a step ahead of dirtbags is a full time job.

By and large, irrelevant to my day-to-day happiness. I keep cash handy for that and other purposes to cover me while it's replaced.

Old 09-23-2021, 09:39 PM

364 posts, read 213,711 times
Moforthewin,

We have had credit cards compromised alot over the last 43 + years...

Both personal and corporate.

We lived oversea's and had credit cards compromised due International Travel.

I will say though that over the many instances the Credit Card companies handled each case properly and we were never out any monies.

We put extra Security on all our Cards and Accounts - due to living in Africa for so many years and doing much travel thru Europe, etc.

We monitored our Credit Cards and had Alerts set up and also our Bank and Investment Accounts. We were and are to this day very vigilant - even in retirement.

Old 09-25-2021, 06:38 AM

2,471 posts, read 2,690,365 times
I used to get hacked once a year. I then got a card with a chip. Hasn’t happened since.

Old 09-25-2021, 07:24 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,565,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
I used to get hacked once a year. I then got a card with a chip. Hasn’t happened since.
Having a card compromised and getting hacked aren’t the same thing. Both can pose issues but they are vastly different things

Old 09-25-2021, 08:20 AM

9,846 posts, read 7,709,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
I hear a lot of horror stories about paypal being compromised all the time.
We have multiple PayPal accounts for our businesses, for decades, never had a problem.

Old 09-25-2021, 08:23 AM

9,846 posts, read 7,709,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
Anybody ever left to pay for purchases made with a compromised card? Anybody? When I lost my wallet and contacted the credit card companies they could have cared less I lost my card. Their only interest was in overnighting me a new card.
Well, if someone uses a stolen credit card to purchase something from my business, my business takes the loss. The bank refunds the customer, they take back the money from me (chargeback) and I'm out the money and the merchandise. Plus they charge me $35.

Thank goodness I'm in a business that doesn't attract criminals too often.

Old 09-25-2021, 08:42 AM

106,557 posts, read 108,713,667 times
The credit card companies do have programs you can join for a bigger fee that will cover card not present transactions like web orders ….

The price is to much more per charge if you don’t do a lot of web sales .

As long as the card was present they cover us but any phone sales we do has us on our own if the card is bad

Old 10-03-2021, 07:06 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,586,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
Anybody ever left to pay for purchases made with a compromised card? Anybody? When I lost my wallet and contacted the credit card companies they could have cared less I lost my card. Their only interest was in overnighting me a new card.
I think you're making a point / being sarcastic - but unless there is serious doubt about legitimacy of the fraud, FCBA is extremely protective of the consumer. Much more so than debit cards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance