Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2021, 10:29 PM

346 posts, read 308,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSusana View Post
Is it just me, or does anyone else doubt that the OP is for real?

I have never met anyone receiving what is basically welfare express that it is basically a "blessing in disguise" when they are cut off. Maybe later when they've made something of themselves, but not at the beginning.

Well thats the point! maybe it has to now allow me to make something of myself where being on SSI, I had limits and I always have been bad about reporting things to them. I don't go with a "system" like that too well even if THEY give me the money. SSI is not free money, its designed to keep people down and not have them better themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2021, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnProbation View Post
You can get back on them. With the SSI Restoration Act, the monthly rate will be raised to 100% of the Federal Poverty Level. That is about $1171 per month. You will also be able to earn up to about $350 a month without it affecting your benefits and be able to keep up to 10k in the bank.

$700 is alot of money to loose per month. Maybe see how it is to be a transient for a while then sign back up. Of course you can keep trying and you will likely get them back

That might happen then, I might in the future but I need to see how being without benefits goes for me. Seems to be working well. The happiness I feel, my manifestation levels seem to be a lot better. I all of a sudden see more possibilities.

Old 10-14-2021, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
Maybe he is a taxpayer and wonders where the hell his tax money is going to!

I'm just curious how so many posters here seem to know all the details about welfare. I didn't know that a person had the option in this country of just choosing to do absolutely nothing for year after year and get paid for doing so. And that's in addition to food stamps, utility assistance, and all those other taxpayer supported freebies.

I was under the mistaken assumption that welfare was for those people who were temporarily down on their luck or between jobs and just needed a little assistance for a few months until they found another job. I didn't know it was a "way of life" choice to just do nothing and get paid by the government, i.e. taxpayers because for some reason you just don't want to go to work.

There is now. You would be amazed how many people know how to milk the system that knew how to get a lot more than me. Thats work in itself to do that though. I'd rather make money at a job.

Old 10-14-2021, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
No.

You are paying only a small portion of his benefits. Probably less than a penny. It’s not your business. Your concern should be that SS catches people taking advantage, which they seemed to do here. I suggested hee try the appeal process knowing that if he doesn’t qualify, SS will catch that. If he has been doing it for years when he’s qualified they will require he pay back whatever he got that he wasn’t qualified for. SS does that all the time. At one time, I paid back $10,000. I know some paying back even more. They have a system and it works pretty well.

Remember too, that $700 isn’t paying for anyone’s lifestyle unless they are homeless.

Homeless or living rent free at their parents. It does not cover rent long term. After that you have 0 or negative 0 unless you saved money at a job while on SSI. The SSI system is F'D. So if I did wanna make money on the side. I shouldn't have to report it to them. Its like no one can even have a side hustle and keep all that money to themselves with the crumbs that SSI doles out to people. Its not enough money. The taxpayers get ripped off and so do the people receiving. Its not like you get 2400 a month, you should at least get 1000 off it if nothing else. 1070$ even. SSI is not a living wage, no one should even think about going on it really anymore. The only way to make a living is at a job or if someone rich is supplementing you.

Old 10-15-2021, 05:39 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,811,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongLeggedOne View Post
Homeless or living rent free at their parents. It does not cover rent long term. After that you have 0 or negative 0 unless you saved money at a job while on SSI. The SSI system is F'D. So if I did wanna make money on the side. I shouldn't have to report it to them. Its like no one can even have a side hustle and keep all that money to themselves with the crumbs that SSI doles out to people. Its not enough money. The taxpayers get ripped off and so do the people receiving. Its not like you get 2400 a month, you should at least get 1000 off it if nothing else. 1070$ even. SSI is not a living wage, no one should even think about going on it really anymore. The only way to make a living is at a job or if someone rich is supplementing you.
Agree with you, but there are people on it who have little choice for anything else, at least not right away. Eventually, though, no one should be on it for super long periods of time. It’s just not enough.

Old 10-15-2021, 06:01 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Quote:
Still looking for a sugar daddy?

Old 10-16-2021, 06:33 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,166,401 times
All along, you had it in your power to get a job that supports you and give up SSI. You had the power all along, Dorothy.

Old 10-19-2021, 02:20 PM

37,611 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
LOL. I guess there is entertainment value in this thread, if nothing else.

Old 10-21-2021, 05:29 PM

2,245 posts, read 3,009,468 times
Got to wonder what inspires people to start a thread like this, when they've been around internet forums long enough to know the kind of responses they're going to get. Maybe they're just masochists, and enjoy it.

Also the "I'm a taxpayer" card, doesn't entitle one to make value decisions on what benefits other citizens get from the government. There's a system in place to do that. Don't like it? Get the laws changed. Otherwise, it's a waste of time complaining about it. It's a time worn lament that's been expressed since at least the FDR administration.

Old 10-21-2021, 05:47 PM

2,161 posts, read 1,152,932 times
Quote:
Please stop calling your free tax payers money a wage.
Quote:
wage

noun: wage

a fixed regular payment, typically paid on a daily or weekly basis, made by an employer to an employee, especially to a manual or unskilled worker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance