Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2021, 07:09 AM

346 posts, read 308,925 times

Advertisements

This happened to me just recently. The state of SC cut me off I guess since I didn't update an address with them. I am transient, have had no permanent address, thought I reported my last address but I guess their records show I didn't and thats somehow my fault?

I left to go to Florida. Only thing is, now I don't know if I will get them back, or if I lost them.. it could be a blessing in disguise maybe?? Its not like SSI ever helped me a ton. It was a guaranteed 700 plus a month, but its still not a living wage. You pay the rent and then what? you have nothing leftover. Plus you gotta report to them any side hustles, any other accounts. Taking my freedom just might be Option A at this point.

So have you or others you know get cut off of SSI, and how did it effect them? Was it for the better or worse especially if they been on it a long time?

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2021, 07:14 AM

8,630 posts, read 9,137,436 times
Isn't SSI medical? If so what was your medical issue?

Old 10-05-2021, 03:51 PM

7,517 posts, read 13,624,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
SSI is welfare income for low/no income people. It is administered by SSA ( Social Security Admin). Paid out of general IRS revenue taxes, NOT SS funds.

https://www.ssa.gov/benefits/ssi/

Old 10-05-2021, 05:57 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongLeggedOne View Post
This happened to me just recently. The state of SC cut me off I guess since I didn't update an address with them. I am transient, have had no permanent address, thought I reported my last address but I guess their records show I didn't and thats somehow my fault?

I left to go to Florida. Only thing is, now I don't know if I will get them back, or if I lost them.. it could be a blessing in disguise maybe?? Its not like SSI ever helped me a ton. It was a guaranteed 700 plus a month, but its still not a living wage. You pay the rent and then what? you have nothing leftover. Plus you gotta report to them any side hustles, any other accounts. Taking my freedom just might be Option A at this point.

Thoughts?
The whinier parts of this post made me think about the dog who bit the hand that fed it. If you don't want your SSI any longer that's up to you. There are plenty of others who appreciate theirs.

Old 10-05-2021, 06:20 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,488,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
SSI stands for Supplemental Security Income. It's a max of $775/m (thereabouts) fir 2021.

It is basically a "welfare" payment to those whose income is below that for various reasons, paid out of US govt general fund.

It CAN be medical..if one has not earned enough SS credits by working, OR to "SUPPLEMENT" a lie income that may not be earned income.
OR it can boost a person's SS payment UP to that $775/m IF their SS is below that amount.

SSDI (Social Security Disability Insurance) is an early payout of ones FRA based on the estimate FRA amount, IF one has earned at least 20 SS credits in the past 10 years to applying.. and IS medical in nature.
(Side note, one CAN work and earn up to $1260/m gross for 2021)
SSDI is paid out of the SS trust fund.

There's a big difference in the two.

OP,
You NEED to keep them updated, or you will get exactly what you got.
You also need to keep bank account info up to date with them.

No, it WON'T follow you to Florida, UNLESS you update them.

You need to CALL them to see:
A) is your SSI still valid, or do you need to reapply
B) can you get the missing payment reissued
C) update new direct deposit for your FL bank or CU so you will get the payment
D) stop it and close your case if you don't want it

As a poster above stated, others are in need, if you feel so bad, get a job that pays you more and stop SSI.

You could live in your vehicle, and then the SSI might mean more.

Also there are people who live in SS only that is more than the SSI maximum, but still less than the average SS check of around$1500/m.

Be GREATFUL, or stop it and quit whining.

Also, you can apply for food stamps, home energy assistance, visit food pantries, rent a cheap studio, live in your car, etc that will make the SSI work for you more.
Also find a low rent zone.

This isn't to shame or bash you, but give you a reality check!!

Old 10-05-2021, 07:27 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Quote:
............. thought I reported my last address but I guess their records show I didn't and thats somehow my fault? ............
You didn't report your address change and how is that your fault?

You have two options. Get the mistake straightened out or figure out how to live without the payment. Either way, it's entirely up to you to get it taken care of.

Old 10-06-2021, 04:42 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,814,526 times
If they sent a letter cutting off your benefits then the letter will tell you how to appeal the decision. Don’t delay. The time to appeal is limited.

Old 10-07-2021, 02:08 PM

558 posts, read 434,946 times
Is it just me, or does anyone else doubt that the OP is for real?

I have never met anyone receiving what is basically welfare express that it is basically a "blessing in disguise" when they are cut off. Maybe later when they've made something of themselves, but not at the beginning.

Old 10-07-2021, 04:30 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,260,559 times
Quote:

So have you or others you know get cut off of SSI, and how did it effect them? Was it for the better or worse especially if they been on it a long time?

Thoughts?
You’re welcome. Oh, And by the way, I have never, ever missed paying my Fed, State, taxes.

Old 10-07-2021, 04:44 PM

166 posts, read 156,791 times
Quote:

Thoughts?
You can get back on them. With the SSI Restoration Act, the monthly rate will be raised to 100% of the Federal Poverty Level. That is about $1171 per month. You will also be able to earn up to about $350 a month without it affecting your benefits and be able to keep up to 10k in the bank.

$700 is alot of money to loose per month. Maybe see how it is to be a transient for a while then sign back up. Of course you can keep trying and you will likely get them back
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance