Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2022, 01:46 PM

158 posts, read 91,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
The problems expressed here are why I always try to be a little under withheld (or underpaid estimates) and have to pay. If I ever do over withhold, I always apply that to the current year taxes and revise my current year withholding/payments.
So you've never had any issues with getting credit towards the current year taxes? That is my only reservation, imagining going through the process of proving you paid it the year before with your refund. Obviously it should be easy given the previous year's tax return, but nothing is ever easy with the IRS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2022, 03:50 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,757,369 times
I've probably applied an overpayment 6-7 of the last 20 years and never had any comment from the IRS. I have a copy of the tax returns should they ask, but they never have. I have an overpayment from 2020 taxes to apply when I do 2021 taxes from issuing more QCDs than I planned on, but I reduced withholding in 2021 to compensate.

Old 01-13-2022, 06:24 PM

23,401 posts, read 23,827,131 times
Update 1/13:: I was finally able to reach someone at the IRS today. I tried calling several times over the last few months without success. The IRS representative informed me that my amended return has been assigned to someone and will be reviewed soon. She said that I should hear updated news or receive my refund within 30 days.

Waiting time before speaking to a representative was 35 minutes. Entire call took 56 minutes.

She reiterated that the IRS was extremely busy and apologized for the inconvenience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
Update:: still waiting on the IRS to process my 2018 amended return. I looked up the status of my return on the IRS Amended Return Status website today and my return was received and has not been processed yet. The IRS has had my return since April 2021.

Still waiting…

Old 01-14-2022, 04:50 AM

1,598 posts, read 854,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
Update 1/13:: I was finally able to reach someone at the IRS today. I tried calling several times over the last few months without success. The IRS representative informed me that my amended return has been assigned to someone and will be reviewed soon. She said that I should hear updated news or receive my refund within 30 days.

Waiting time before speaking to a representative was 35 minutes. Entire call took 56 minutes.

She reiterated that the IRS was extremely busy and apologized for the inconvenience.

I had to file on paper this year because when I went to e-file some ********* had already used my SSN. I owed, as I always do, and mailed it in April before the deadline, certified mail. They deposited the check into the Treasury three weeks later. Got the return card in July, stamped July 15th. Haven't heard a peep since. Talked to my accountant in the fall and was told that the IRS was 25 weeks behind, so they should get to it "after New Years." Hoping to hear something soon as I'm going to end up filing on paper again if I don't.

Not looking good:

https://www.foxbusiness.com/money/ir...og-crisis-2022

Old 01-14-2022, 08:29 AM

67,652 posts, read 60,589,303 times
For once, I am getting a significant refund and I'm still waiting. It's been about 5 months here. The IRS website says it's still processing.

I'm not holding my breath.

Old 01-14-2022, 08:40 AM

106,244 posts, read 108,257,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
For once, I am getting a significant refund and I'm still waiting. It's been about 5 months here. The IRS website says it's still processing.

I'm not holding my breath.
Wow that is a long time to wait

Old 01-14-2022, 02:01 PM

15,409 posts, read 25,725,485 times
We filed the first week of April last year. I checked my IRS account and it still has not processed. Our 2019 was processed two days after we had mailed in 2020 taxes. If we had waited two days, we could have e-filed. We’re not getting a refund. We sent a check for the $300 we owed. It was cashed two days later. It shows in my account, but since the taxes still have not processed it is not credited as paid yet.

Old 01-20-2022, 08:29 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,172,138 times
The IRS, which relies on some software built in the 1960s, is facing a big backlog of paper filings from last year, including 6.2 million unprocessed 1040s. The IRS doesn't have scanning technology, and relies instead on humans to open the mail and manually enter information.

Last year the agency received 282 million phone calls and answered just 29 million.

Old 01-20-2022, 09:29 AM

6,751 posts, read 5,457,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
I wrote my Congressperson...took them 2 plus months to get our refund.

I really wasn't concerned about the refund. But under Obama, after I had a couple of articles reprinted in a conservative web site....the IRS lost three copies of my tax return. ALL THREE had SIGNED return receipts that the IRS had received my return from the USPS.

So when the IRS lost my tax return in the first year of the Biden Administration I thought NOT AGAIN.

I did quit writing articles as it is not worth it to be on the IRS list....but I guess the Federal government has a long memory.
Hmm. Definitely smells of "Big Brother is Watching You"!

My posting here is the extent of my "social media" online.

I guess we now definitely have to watch our P's and Q's!

And mind our manners.

And dot our i's and cross our T's, BUT only as is for necessary info.

Data mining is a lucrative career, wish I knew how to do it thoroughly, so I could get rich.
Then again, not interested in what John Doe bought, searched, or said anywhere online!

I don't make it a habit of "keeping up with the Joneses". Or the Smiths or the Blackwell s for that matter.

Best

Old 01-21-2022, 08:55 AM

7,631 posts, read 4,553,061 times
FYI, the IRS has millions of unopened mail items. They really never got caught up from the first stimulas checks. If you are filing for a refund, have someone do it electronically. Most of the prep sites can do it for you at home. The IRS really doesn't want mail any more. Companies don't even have a mail option available for payments.

I feel a bit bad for the workers of the IRS, but what scares me are well funded agencies like the CFDTA/BOE here in California. I took over for a company here, saw they were behind on their taxes. Filed and paid them with penalty. Two agencies share a building and another agency cashed the check. Got a contact from both, showed the cashed check front and back and you'd think this could be handled....walk it down to the next cubicle or return the money and I'll send again. So then we paid it again, just because the fees were going like crazy....but they haven't gotten around to opening the mail or something....so now they put a lien on the bank. I'm like....you've been paid twice already. Now they want returns filed from 10 years ago that apparently weren't filed.

Not saying that's right...but cripe, this place generates like $500 of tax a year. Yet if I just say send a bill, they're going to assume every purchase was taxable unless proven otherwise. It's a guilty until proven innocent approach.

And that is why you cut funding to taxing agencies. Those stats they generate on finding taxable income are almost always false extractions of what they use power to take.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance