Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 12:58 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,508,655 times

Advertisements

Hey guys.

Anybody in the cattle or meat processing industry? I just have a question. OK so I've been go to the supermarket and have noticed for the last 6 months or so beef prices are actually down. (at least on sale that is.) Like last night I picked up steaks for $1.59 per pound on sale. And this is not a new thing. Like I said for the past 6 months or so I been picking up beef product from $1.29 to $1.99 on sale.

So is there any particular reason that beef prices on certain Items are so low?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 01:10 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,545,794 times
That's an easy one.

Feed prices (corn) are up.

Cheaper to dump the cattle on the market than to feed them.

And factor in that there have been various on-and-off bans of US beef (Korea and Japan) due to our sloppy testing for "Mad Cow" and all that combines to lots of beefy goodness (or not so good ) being dumped your way.

So you buying?

Old 05-21-2008, 03:31 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,852,928 times
Stock up cause I can assure you it isn't going to last long when cattle stock is low and demand is the same... they dump cattle fast and drain the inventory... once inventory is low, they will have an "excuse" to pump prices high... so stock up... price manipulation has been going on for a long while... U.S. regulations help create it... keep on regulating..

Old 05-21-2008, 04:22 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,186,749 times
I agree they are taking the cattle to market because of the high corn prices to feed. Also agree it would be wise for everybody to stock up now while the prices are lower because once the cattle going to market is lowered prices will sky rocket due to the corn prices. Just look at the prices we are paying for gas now. We hit $4 a gallon today in Indiana in my area which is north central.

Old 05-21-2008, 05:55 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,545,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Stock up cause I can assure you it isn't going to last long when cattle stock is low and demand is the same... they dump cattle fast and drain the inventory... once inventory is low, they will have an "excuse" to pump prices high... so stock up... price manipulation has been going on for a long while... U.S. regulations help create it... keep on regulating..
Why would you want to stock up on a marginal product? Sort of a case of might not be real good, but we got a lot of it, cheap. No bargain, there. Pardon the comparison, but that would be like marrying a lazy fat chick. While you might get a lot of it . ..

But you have it backwards about the cause and effect of regulations on this market. It is the lack of decent inspections (regulations) that cause the international bans on US export beef. We have outlawed the individual inspection of ill cows (so as to what? ensure we can put out bad beef, or what?). Is anti-regulation law now considered regulation? It is this irresponsible trash behavior of non-inspection and non-regulation that have caused responsible governments to ban US beef.

Old 05-21-2008, 07:10 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,155,071 times
Man, I love all the arm-chair experts on this forum. I've noticed this too, it would be interesting to hear from someone that is actually in the industry. I can make my guesses too, but its just that.

Old 05-21-2008, 07:27 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,186,749 times
PhilipT I agree with your post about USA inspections. But common sense tells me I should also agree with my local butcher & farmers telling me beef prices will sky rocket at some point in our near future. When my family was larger we bought a side of beef each year from a local farmer it didn't go bad in our freezer. So now that I buy that same type of beef in smaller quantities due to decreasing family size why shouldn't I stock up with today's prices for a consumable product we will be buying anyway?

For the ones that don't have the benefit of having a local butcher that is supplied local meat products they could have the meats at their box stores ground up for hamburger couldn't they if the meat cut is not high quality?

I think anything we use that can be bought "ahead" is a good use of my money don't you? When hoarding or panic starts that is when it isn't a good use taking away from others just to have more for our own self. Just a thought.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:30 PM

23,597 posts, read 70,402,242 times
The drought in the southeast caused a lot of farmers to sell off herds last fall. The price of hay and the failed corn crop created a local disaster, where the herds couldn't be overwintered. I know some neighbors that had to sell off. The last of those cattle should be on store shelves about now, given that they are often fattened in feed lots for a while, and processing and curing takes some time. Did that affect the price? <shrug> dunno.

So far, this year looks a lot better rainwise, but those who sold off animals aren't all getting back in the business. What is increasingly popular around here are goats. Smaller animals, able to forage, and fairly self sufficient. What is odd is that none of it ends up in supermarket meat cases, which may mean a lot of direct sales to migrants.

What I find as scary as some of the other monetary and fuel cost issues is that most of the farmers I see are at or beyond retirement age, and I'm not seeing sons following in their footsteps.

I think it may soon be again profitable for small rural families to have a couple of cows for milk and meat. The price of milk is about the same as the price of gas, and pasture fed cows may soon be cash cows.

Old 05-21-2008, 10:56 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,793,604 times
Quote:
I think it may soon be again profitable for small rural families to have a couple of cows for milk and meat. The price of milk is about the same as the price of gas, and pasture fed cows may soon be cash cows.
I was thinking the same thing....it wouldn't hurt to buy a couple calves this year.

Old 05-21-2008, 11:21 PM

2 posts, read 2,479 times
Unhappy Beef Is Better Than Frozen Food That Lasts Years

Beef Is Being Cut To Utilize All The Product Instead Of Being Ground Into Ground Beef. Ground Beef Is What Is Actually ? Beef As Long As It Is Cooked Correctly Is Low In Fat And Calories. I Suppose You Do Not Like Potatoes Either. Go Get A Frozen Product That Can Stay Frozen For Two Years And See What The Bacteria Level Would Be...OH I FORGOT I AM A JOURNEY-WOMAN MEAT CUTTER
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance