Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2008, 08:30 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,340,922 times

Advertisements

Interesting article on calculating for various salary ranges how much more it will cost this year based on National averages. Gives a good perspective and was based on April CPI data. Bottom line it will cost much more this year than last for the same amount of services and goods.

" The inflation rate for energy far outpaces the others, but you already knew that. More to the point: You'll cough up another $1,000 or so, depending on your income, for gasoline and $700 or so for utilities. Ouch." See full article.

The 15-minute tip: Here's how much more you'll pay for food, gas - MarketWatch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 06:54 AM

37,451 posts, read 61,360,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdrive View Post
.... You'll cough up another $1,000 or so, depending on your income, for gasoline and $700 or so for utilities. Ouch." ...
I would think that it depends more on your standard of living.

Old 05-22-2008, 07:48 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,361,056 times
CPI is a joke and shouldn't be relied on solely to figure out inflation.

As for cost of living, I think people living in really far out suburban areas and for those living in areas with poor mass transit, its gonna be a really tough ride moving forward. I heard some where that global oil production may have peaked which accounts for SOME of the increase in prices (along with inflation and to a MUCH lesser degree speculation). People better figure something out quick instead of living in la la land and thinking we will return to cheap gas, thats just not going to happen.

Old 05-22-2008, 08:03 AM

1,710 posts, read 5,680,009 times
I've already noticed the food I purchase on a regular basis has gone up anywhere from 20 cents to 1.00. Heck I went to Chick-Fil-A yesterday and it has even gone up 30 cents for a #1 combo. lol

Old 05-22-2008, 08:56 AM

1,914 posts, read 7,147,586 times
Yes, I think that gas will not go down. I think we are going to be lucky if it tops out at $6 per gallon. I am planning on purchasing another vehicle that is more fuel efficient. I am looking for a PT Cruiser, old Toyota Previa or Ford Festiva. I really need something that gets better gas mileage than my ford f-150 YIKES!!! But it's a business vehicle and we get to write off some costs at the end. But, yeah, I think it's not going to get better.

Old 05-22-2008, 05:59 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,846,995 times
Some people eat a lot of food they don't need... some eat snacks, some go to restaurants instead of cooking at home... this is all "upgraded" lifestyle choices and not standards of living... I know there are probably MILLIONS and MILLIONS of college students who take their student loans and use it to go to the movies, restaurants, clubbing, buy alcohol, etc. etc. Every weekend, the places are crowded with college students spending "financial aid" money for lifestyle choices. I don't blame them, plenty of adults take out HELOC to go on vacation, go gambling, play with the stock market, etc. etc. Americans USES loans for mostly lifestyle choices....financial aid, HELOCs, and credit cards to support luxuries in life... if they continue then they risk losing their homes and their security... I don't feel sorry for them... One day they will be expected to pay back their loans and you will see them in their foreclosing houses without electricity and barely any money for food because they spent it all already the last 5-10 years and don't have the money to pay it back... you will see them on TV and feel sorry for them because the news will portray them as a victim of bad luck... it wasn't bad luck when they charge all that money on their credit cards, took out a HELOC to go on vacation...

The only people I feel sorry for are the people of "TRUE" victims of circumstances... those who incur debt because of medical reasons not of their own fault, victims of natural disasters, victims of corporate downsizing, etc. etc. Those are the people I would like to help... victims that WORK every day to make life work for them and are wiped out by acts of god.. I am not talking about lazy victims who have done nothing for YEARS and YEARS but sit home and take a part of my paycheck with them... that is until gas and food prices rise and you see them asking for more money... these type of people I don't want to help... I don't like to help leeches... I help those who deserve help... hard working people that are victims of bad luck...

Old 05-23-2008, 09:59 AM

1,225 posts, read 3,228,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Some people eat a lot of food they don't need... some eat snacks, some go to restaurants instead of cooking at home... this is all "upgraded" lifestyle choices and not standards of living... I know there are probably MILLIONS and MILLIONS of college students who take their student loans and use it to go to the movies, restaurants, clubbing, buy alcohol, etc. etc. Every weekend, the places are crowded with college students spending "financial aid" money for lifestyle choices. I don't blame them, plenty of adults take out HELOC to go on vacation, go gambling, play with the stock market, etc. etc. Americans USES loans for mostly lifestyle choices....financial aid, HELOCs, and credit cards to support luxuries in life... if they continue then they risk losing their homes and their security... I don't feel sorry for them... One day they will be expected to pay back their loans and you will see them in their foreclosing houses without electricity and barely any money for food because they spent it all already the last 5-10 years and don't have the money to pay it back... you will see them on TV and feel sorry for them because the news will portray them as a victim of bad luck... it wasn't bad luck when they charge all that money on their credit cards, took out a HELOC to go on vacation...

The only people I feel sorry for are the people of "TRUE" victims of circumstances... those who incur debt because of medical reasons not of their own fault, victims of natural disasters, victims of corporate downsizing, etc. etc. Those are the people I would like to help... victims that WORK every day to make life work for them and are wiped out by acts of god.. I am not talking about lazy victims who have done nothing for YEARS and YEARS but sit home and take a part of my paycheck with them... that is until gas and food prices rise and you see them asking for more money... these type of people I don't want to help... I don't like to help leeches... I help those who deserve help... hard working people that are victims of bad luck...
Rep points for you...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance