Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2022, 12:19 AM

1,068 posts, read 1,457,079 times

Advertisements

Needing a new car. Somewhat flexible, between now and six months from now. Should I just buy the bullet and buy one today or wait for a few months hoping that the market will become a little bit more sane?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2022, 01:08 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,886 posts, read 58,541,065 times
Buy now if you can find and afford your choice of vehicle.

Car Prices will go down when inventory gets saturated.

Old 07-30-2022, 09:12 AM

32,782 posts, read 48,565,799 times
If car prices go down is going to depend a lot upon how bad the inflation gets. The car companies won't sell cars for less than it costs to manufacture them. If wages and materials have gone a lot higher, then the price of cars is going to be a lot higher.

If you have to take out a car loan to buy a car, interest rates are going to affect your monthly payment. My crystal ball is blurry about the future of interest rates, so your guess is as good as mine on that issue.

Old 07-30-2022, 09:15 AM

8,300 posts, read 4,144,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavia84 View Post
[b]Needing a new car. Somewhat flexible, between now and six months from now. Should I just buy the bullet and buy one today or wait for a few months hoping that the market will become a little bit more sane?
No one "needs" a new car. No one "needs" anything. You have wants and desires, not "needs."

So, you want a new car. Buy one.

There is no economic reason to expect the price of a new car to decline.

Old 07-30-2022, 01:24 PM

23,633 posts, read 19,445,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
No one "needs" a new car. No one "needs" anything. You have wants and desires, not "needs."

So, you want a new car. Buy one.

There is no economic reason to expect the price of a new car to decline.
This is what you get when you aren't specific OP. A person might need a "new" car because the one they own now has been totaled/non-op or so old/worn out it is too expensive to keep in running order. Until they elaborate, they could in fact need it. The car that meets that need could be used or brand spanking new.

So, OP, care to elaborate and refute this comment?

Old 07-30-2022, 01:27 PM

1,212 posts, read 747,263 times
I recommend a rwd Camaro with the base 2.0 turbocharged engine.

Well, for one case, there is often no mark-up and there is available inventory.

For another case, why spend an enormous amount of money for a car when car technology is rapidly changing and uncertain ?

Finally, there are a large number of premium rear-wheel-drive cars with 2.0 turbocharged engines. The Camaro is the least expensive in this category but it is a coupe and not a sedan

Last edited by T Block; 07-30-2022 at 02:06 PM..

Old 07-30-2022, 01:34 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,457,079 times
Fair enough. The poster above is correct, it is not a must but more of a want (or need for sanity). Currently Husband and I are sharing a car for daily errands, which makes life more difficult but not impossible. We are looking at a new luxury SUV. Since we work hard for our money and not sitting on a trust fund, I’d like to get the best deal possible. If it means waiting it out for a few more months, we can make it work.

Old 07-30-2022, 06:11 PM

6,667 posts, read 7,424,369 times
I would hope that prices drop when the supply chain problems are eliminated. Could take longer than a year.
Since wages are going up I think the costs will be going up and staying. Thus don't count on a big price drop.
I would hope that the costs will be lower in 6 months but if you have the cash and do have a use for the car I would buy now.

Old 07-31-2022, 08:19 AM

2,525 posts, read 1,967,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavia84 View Post
Fair enough. The poster above is correct, it is not a must but more of a want (or need for sanity). Currently Husband and I are sharing a car for daily errands, which makes life more difficult but not impossible. We are looking at a new luxury SUV. Since we work hard for our money and not sitting on a trust fund, I’d like to get the best deal possible. If it means waiting it out for a few more months, we can make it work.

OMG.......mogul's head is going to explode wtith that response !!

Flavia -- Shop this around, starting now. When the new model year comes out, you'll have an idea of what you can get as a 'Leftover '22 Model' or maybe a CPO with low miles and Extended Warranty.

Just about every Car Manufacturer has and SUV lineup, and most offer a Luxury model with all the goodies. We're currently looking at the Lexus NX, but there are examples from Toyota, Nissan, and even Subaru.

In my opinion, gas mileage is still important. Electric Vehicles are OK for the short 'Bread and Milk' runs, but any trip longer than a few hundred miles will expose the limitations of the EV types. Perhaps if Melon Musk would spend $40 Million on Quick Charging Stations instead of trying to resuscitate twitter ??

Good Luck with your search. New Models usually come out in September, so if there are Leftovers....be first in line for one of them. Generally speaking, car dealerships are more willing to make a deal around the Holidays inn Nov / Dec.

Let us know what you buy !!

Old 07-31-2022, 05:12 PM

271 posts, read 300,466 times
They say not to time the market, but I say time the market. Right now, there's a big increase in the number of repos. People can't afford their car payments due to inflation and the non-recession will lead to job losses. This hasn't led to a drop in used car prices yet because inventory is being held back intentionally. But eventually these cars will hit the market, probably within the next few months. I predict by October or November you'll see prices come way down and deals will be had on almost-new cars. This might even cause downward pressure on new car prices as dealers have to compete with the almost-new segment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance