Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2022, 01:28 PM

846 posts, read 684,614 times

Advertisements

Apologies to some if these may be too basic, but it's a good baseline for younger people to start out with.
[LIST=1][*] Set a monthly budget on an app, spreadsheet or notebook.[*] Spend less than you earn. Save a portion of your income.[*] Have an emergency fund to cover 3-6 months of basic living expenses.[*] Buying things outright is usually than monthly payments. For example, saving up that emergency fund means you can pay $600 for 6 months of car insurance, instead of $125 a month[*] Have a few credit cards. Make purchases, even small ones, and pay them off promptly. Over years, this will build your credit.[*] Before going to college, know what you want to do, pick a major that’s in demand, and have a plan of what steps you need to take to get into that industry.[*] Cars are a depreciating asset, and they depreciate the most in the first 2 years. This current market may be an exception, but in normal cases the sweetspot is buying a 2-8 year old car. But always check the service history and do a pre-purchase inspection with a mechanic before buying used.[*] Buy a car from a brand that's known to be practical and reliable with widely accessible parts (i.e. Toyota, Honda). If you don't need the space, you can consider a sedan instead of a SUV for lower price.[*] Calculate the cost of renting vs owning a home for your specific circumstance. With a mortgage, you build equity but you have to pay for home insurance, HOA, maintainance, etc.[*] Before you marry someone, have in-depth conversations with them about finances. Get an understanding of their income, assets, spending habits, debt. Make sure they’re financially responsible, and that you both share the same values and goals financially.[*] When investing, put the majority of your portfolio in lower-risk investments (i.e. index funds). And diversify; don’t put everything into just 1 or 2 industries. Industries can crash and you don’t want to be left with nothing.[*] Don't gamble or do scratchoffs/lotteries. This should go without saying, but the companies did the math; they are designed to take in more money than they give out.[*] Avoid impulse buys by having a waiting list. If you want to buy something, add it to a list. Wait 2 weeks, a month or however long. If you still want it, buy it. But in many cases, you realize you don't actually need it. [*] Just because an item is on sale by a large margin doesn't mean you need. If it's something you've wanted for a while and it's a lower price, it's a good buy. But if it's something you never really had interest in and suddenly its on sale, then it may just be an impulse buy. [*] Your time is worth money too. For example, spending an extra hour of time to save $20-30 may be worth it, but not to save $5.[*] Limit your alcohol intake. When people get drunk, they can be very happy and spend a lot of money on things that they later regret when they’re sober.[*] Keep track of your monthly subscriptions. Only pay for what you actively use. Rotate your monthly subscriptions (i.e. streaming services). Subscribe to 1-2 this month, cancel them, and then subscribe to other ones next month. [*] No one is perfect. Everyone makes some mistakes and wastes money here and there; don't beat yourself up. It's okay to splurge a little bit every now and then. Especially on things that can turn out to be valuable life experiences (i.e. travelling, road trips, social events, pursuing your passions), so that you have no regrets.[*] Spending money on designer clothes, luxury cars, etc. to impress people isn't worth it. It's not necessary for the people who like you for who you are, won't care. And to be honest, most people are so enveloped in their own lives, that your Hermes belt is the last thing on their minds.[*] Loaning money to people is unwise. They should have savings or access to credit. If they don't, that means they're very high risk to loan money to. Also consider that if they're asking you, they're also borrowing money from other people, and they may have other people they already owe money to.[*] You have the right to say no. Whether it's a pushy salesperson, or any person pressuring you to buy something, or someone asking you to loan them money. General rule of thumb is to not make financial decisions under pressure.[*] Don’t trust a gentleman’s agreement. If a transaction isn't in legally binding writing or on a secure platform of some kind, it's not legitimate.[*] Being frugal and limiting spending is nice, but it's equally or more important to learn new skills (i.e. education, trades or certifications) so you can raise your income. raise your income. [/LIST]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2022, 03:33 PM

9,166 posts, read 6,208,590 times
Sounds like a dull life.

Old 11-03-2022, 05:27 PM

16,442 posts, read 8,242,983 times
Many of these things are things people should start doing in their 20's and 30's but many don't due to lack of maturity. Overall these are rules people should try and follow but life throws curve balls and things don't always work out according to plan. Living beneath ones means is always a good idea.

Old 11-04-2022, 01:26 AM

106,740 posts, read 108,937,910 times
Except the term living below one’s means is rather a meaningless saying

One of my pet peeves is the meaningless mantras out there that sound good but really mean nothing .

It isn’t actionable in the sense no one really knows what that means .

For many their means can vary yearly

Our income changes with how the markets do each year since we get to spend a percentage of the value of our portfolio.

having 5 dollars left at the end of a year is living below your means but it isn’t a good idea is it ?

How much of what you spend should be discretionary vs non discretionary ?

The reality is you need a certain percentage saved .

You also need a healthy ratio of discretionary to non discretionary spending so you can cut back on years you are over budget .

So I find the ole Live below your means advice spewed all the time but it really does not mean much by itself nor is it actionable.

Real spending advice is actionable and provides what one should actually do .

Here is an example of good actionable spending advice .

It accounts for savings , a 30% non essential spending budget , short term savings , long term savings .

In short , it has meaning

Last edited by mathjak107; 11-04-2022 at 01:41 AM..

Old 11-04-2022, 10:11 AM

3,925 posts, read 6,843,555 times
Great list Lair! Certainly one of the best comprehensive lists of general advice for people starting to get serious about their finances.

Old 11-04-2022, 01:10 PM

6,627 posts, read 7,351,846 times
Good list.
I would add take advantage of your employers retirement plans and Gov IRA's.
Consider your need for life insurance, health insurance and disability insurance.

Estate planning, especially if you have small children.

Old 11-04-2022, 02:21 PM

10,489 posts, read 7,019,483 times
The best advice I can give (and wish I gave to myself much earlier) is buy property as early as you can. If you want to rent, buy an investment property then. You might not have a lot of money when you're young, but you have time on your hand. The United States market has shifted drastically, and there will be two classes of the people, the land owners and renters.

Also, you do not need 20% down, in most scenarios 3.5-5% is all that you need. Most first time homeowners do not have 20% down, but most 2nd+ homeowners do as they built equity into their property. I'd also recommend putting money into a Roth 401k/IRA when you're younger, as you can pull that money out to buy a home.

Old 11-04-2022, 03:14 PM

2,066 posts, read 1,075,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
The best advice I can give (and wish I gave to myself much earlier) is buy property as early as you can. If you want to rent, buy an investment property then. You might not have a lot of money when you're young, but you have time on your hand. The United States market has shifted drastically, and there will be two classes of the people, the land owners and renters.

Also, you do not need 20% down, in most scenarios 3.5-5% is all that you need. Most first time homeowners do not have 20% down, but most 2nd+ homeowners do as they built equity into their property. I'd also recommend putting money into a Roth 401k/IRA when you're younger, as you can pull that money out to buy a home.
If I could get all of my employer's 401K matching $ employees are willingly and knowingly giving up by not contributing to their 401K I'd have Musk and Bezos working as my butlers.

Old 11-04-2022, 04:44 PM

6,763 posts, read 5,066,113 times
Here's a much shorter list...

Spend less than you earn.
Invest savings in vehicles that grow faster than inflation.
Don't use high-interest-rate consumer debt.
If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

Old 11-06-2022, 10:39 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,104,566 times
I mean, honestly, if your whole approach to life is going to be based on financial security at an upper-middle class level, then just sacrifice the years of your life between roughly ages 8 and 26 and become a doctor or dentist. Preferably dentist.

Then you don't have to worry about any of this garbage.

That's the 1st generation Asian mentality. Obsession with financial security and that's why so many parents push their kids to be doctors.

Note ... I didn't say that creates a perfect life or that those kids who did become doctors and dentists thought that was such a good idea that they will push their kids to do the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance