Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2023, 08:00 PM

17,536 posts, read 13,324,825 times

Advertisements

https://www.checkbook.org/washington...uldnt-pay-for/
Quote:
Let’s face it: We often waste money on stuff we don’t really need. Five-dollar lattes. Top-of-the-line appliances and granite countertops to plate up takeout and microwave frozen meals from Trader Joe’s. Golfing gear. Home theaters. Designer clothes, shoes, and handbags.

But there’s a big difference between splurging on luxuries and throwing away money on services and stuff that, while marketed as useful, are bad buys—sometimes really bad. Equally wasteful: Paying for services and products that are worthwhile but that you could get for free.

We’re often warning about products, services, and extras that aren’t worth shelling out for, from duct cleaning to lousy insurance plans to tire rotation. Drawing from that advice, what follows is our list of 65 things that aren’t worth the coin.
Several ways we can all save our hard earned cash
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2023, 08:10 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
I grew up with tile countertops with grout in the middle.

That grout was impossible to keep clean. It looked like trash after a few years.

I bought my house in 2019. It had basic builder grade granite countertops. They look good as new. I wouldn't say that's wasted money.

Old 10-16-2023, 08:26 PM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
CLICK

BAIT

When a link says "should" or contains a number like 65, roll your eyes and move on. Those who want to tell you what you "should" do or not do are relentless (not going to state the obvious object of the phrase...).

Old 10-16-2023, 08:31 PM

2,041 posts, read 990,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
CLICK

BAIT

When a link says "should" or contains a number like 65, roll your eyes and move on. Those who want to tell you what you "should" do or not do are relentless (not going to state the obvious object of the phrase...).
THANK you. I notice the same kind of lists featured on the covers of magazines at grocery store checkouts. Seeing "118 ways to simplify your life" instantly overwhelms me with decision fatigue. It's all BS. How about 10 ways? Less is more.

Old 10-16-2023, 08:37 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
A lot of them I don't....but some things are necessary. Take exterminators, for example. On some fronts, not a problem with 6 cats, but then again, living out in the country, it is necessary for after all, there are plenty out here with WE WERE HERE FIRST!. But as said, many of those things I don't for I am far outside that world....but some are very necessary......like the eye treatments I get monthly to keep me seeing.

Old 10-17-2023, 10:38 AM

37,591 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
CLICK

BAIT

Yup. A nonsense article.

Old 10-18-2023, 08:04 AM

11,103 posts, read 9,744,154 times
How does anyone really know what someone else SHOULD do? We don't know the particulars of someone else's life. To say you probably shouldn't be paying for manicures or something like that. What if getting a mani/pedi is the only time you ever have physical contact with another person and that pampering and little massage is the one time you feel a gentle, caring human touch? The same for many other things we "probably shouldn't be paying for". I didn't read the article; I hate the click bait where it takes 65 clicks to read one article.

Last edited by TheShadow; 10-18-2023 at 08:21 AM..

Old 10-18-2023, 08:23 AM

2,041 posts, read 990,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I hate the click bait where it takes 65 clicks to read one article.
65 pages of ads, ads, ads. Those are the sites I immediately abandon.

Old 10-18-2023, 06:11 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,237,132 times
Smile You've worked all your life....why not?

Why shouldn't you treat yourself once in a while?

I'm tired of feeling or made to feel guilty if I want something.

If I ever get a chance to work less hours, I want to feel I can go out and do something for myself.
Not that I will.

I don't even have a car anymore so that expense is gone. Sure miss having a car.
(Vision issues).

Old 10-18-2023, 07:17 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
"Let’s face it: We often waste money on stuff we don’t really need. Five-dollar lattes."

Post that again and there'll be the Groan Heard 'Round the World.

It's nobody's business how people use their money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance