Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2023, 10:03 AM

361 posts, read 726,663 times

Advertisements

I recently got a credit card with PenFed and I'm not understanding this transaction discrepancy. I had a charge in the amount of 1024.40 on Aug 11 from Sixt but it got refunded a couple of days later and i saw the credit in my transaction history. I thought i was done with it until I saw a new charge on my statement for the same amount, right before my statement closed in Sept. Penfed is telling me that the merchant took over a month to actually charge my credit card. I contacted the merchant and their response to me didn't make much sense but apparently there wasn't any mistake. The only place I can see the credit now is on my Aug statement but i'm not seeing any charge from Sixt for that month. I'm also no longer seeing this credit in my transaction history and the Penfed supervisor I spoke with opened an IT ticket. Apparently they have a lot of issues like this but he wasn't seeing any discrepancy on his end! I'm very suspicious of this transaction now and this bank in general. HOW CAN A BANK'S SYSTEM SHOW THIS KIND OF DISCREPANCY?? Credits and debits should clearly reflect in both the transaction history AND statement. I have never heard of a bank that cannot properly display customer's transactions because of "common systems issues". I'm very curious to know if this is a common thing people have experienced and your thoughts on this.
Attached Thumbnails
Credit Card transaction showing up on my statement but not in my transaction history (PenFed)-img_6592.png   Credit Card transaction showing up on my statement but not in my transaction history (PenFed)-img_6593.png   Credit Card transaction showing up on my statement but not in my transaction history (PenFed)-img_6591.png  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2023, 01:38 PM

23,447 posts, read 19,085,388 times
Don't know what to tell you. Banks have their individual methods for displaying and processing transactions. Was the initial cc charge legitimate or bogus? Was there a mistake in the order? Can you verify that your money was actually refunded?

FWIW, once in a while when I've experienced some sort of glitch with a cc purchase the timeline for the corrected transaction as displayed on the customer website portal or snail mail paper statement (does anyone still get those?) doesn't always mesh up perfectly, especially if it occurs close to the end of a billing/statement cycle. Sometimes there's a lag in posting dates even though the transaction itself went OK. In the end, what matters is that the bank has reconciled the account correctly, not what date something shows up on.

Old 10-07-2023, 08:35 AM

361 posts, read 726,663 times
Thanks for your input!

Old 10-07-2023, 10:10 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,619,408 times
Looks like the first image shows a charge transacted on 8/12, but the charge came thru on 9/20. The third image shows a credit dated back to 8/12 for the same amount. So it seems you were charged the correct amount and credited back the same amount. I don't see a problem, except in the lag time of the actual charge being on 9/20. Who was responsible for that lag time doesn't really matter. The merchant said there was no mistake, and he could be right. it could be that in their normal business routine, sometimes it takes a month for a charge to come through, especially if it's a small business.

If it was the credit cards fault that the charge didn't come through for over a month, you might want to rethink whether you want to use that card, Or at least keep a close eye on it. I looked penfed up. it's a credit union, so it may take longer for them to process transactions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance