Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2023, 12:21 PM

578 posts, read 302,599 times

Advertisements

I have a friend coming to Dallas from Hong Kong. I have a $13k bank check payable to only me in Hong Kong currently. I thought having her bring it on her next trio but am worried about the $10k limit. Why not mail it to me? Any ideas on private companies who might do so vs some gov owned mail carrier etc? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2023, 12:48 PM

22,587 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Does it really matter WHO brings a check to you?
According to the Bank Secrecy Act, banks are required to file Currency Transaction Reports (CTR) for any cash deposits over $10,000. That happens when you deposit the check.

Last edited by Pitt Chick; 08-25-2023 at 01:51 PM..

Old 08-25-2023, 01:40 PM

7,515 posts, read 13,618,508 times
If you are that worried, have the check sent via FedEX

Find a HongKong location here:
https://local.fedex.com/en-hk

Call an HK location and inquire if a paper check is OK to ship, or not.

Also the $10K reporting is for actual cash currency, not checks. Checks are traceable, the feds are more concerned about "money-laundering" of currency.

Old 08-25-2023, 02:10 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,984,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Also the $10K reporting is for actual cash currency, not checks. Checks are traceable, the feds are more concerned about "money-laundering" of currency.
Clarification, per The Currency and Foreign Transactions Reporting Act of 1970 and it's amendments:
"§ 5312. Definitions and application

...bearer securities, stock on which title is passed on delivery, and similar material;
(C) as the Secretary of the Treasury shall provide by regulation for purposes of sec
tions 5316 and 5331, checks, drafts, notes, money orders, and other similar
instruments which are drawn on or by a foreign financial institution
and are not in
bearer form; and
(D) as the Secretary shall provide by regulation, value that substitutes for any ..."

So, if the check is from or drawn on a foreign entity or financial institution as defined earlier in that regulation, it's reportable if over $10,000.

Old 08-25-2023, 05:38 PM

Not concerned about reporting it just trying to simplify her flight process as much as possible. She was denied a boarding pass for not having at least 5 to 6k cash in her and no Covid test. We scan fix those w but just soon not add the over 10k limit to her process.

Thanks for the fedex info I will speak to them.

Nice to see peopld don’t assume the worse lol

Old 08-25-2023, 05:46 PM

24,529 posts, read 10,846,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw222 View Post
Not concerned about reporting it just trying to simplify her flight process as much as possible. She was denied a boarding pass for not having at least 5 to 6k cash in her and no Covid test. We scan fix those w but just soon not add the over 10k limit to her process.

Thanks for the fedex info I will speak to them.

Nice to see peopld don’t assume the worse lol
Getting denied a boarding pass for lack of cash? Please check on that.
Depending on airline and entry requirements the lack of Covid test is on her.
Have your check sent via one of the big shippers such as FedEx.

Old 08-25-2023, 07:21 PM

Trust me we did. The rule is tourist visa to USA you have to prove you can afford to sustain yourself, cash or a credit card works., the visa company who booked her flight did not advise of the new added Covid test requirement nor the cash show which we had in China but converted it to the bank check with their knowledge.
I offered her my credit card info,as I plan to pay for the visit but that would not suffice.

Am I over reacting mailing the check rather than have her bring it and of course report it on flight?

Old 08-25-2023, 09:42 PM

350 posts, read 196,334 times
WHY would you EVER consider mailing a bank check. From HONG KONG of all places.

NO! She wasn't denied a BOARDING PASS she was denied a TOURIST VISA. There is no "VISA COMPANY" it's the US Government.

There are other ways she can get a visa. Like you signing to be her sponsor. See a lawyer. Before you end up in jail for money laundering!

How do I prove I have enough money for a visa?
  • Evidence of financial ability includes but is not limited to:
  • Family bank statements.
  • Documentation from a sponsor.
  • Financial aid letters.
  • Scholarship letters.
  • Letter from an employer showing annual salary.

How to apply for a visa to USA from Hong Kong
https://www.ustraveldocs.com/hk/hk-niv-typeb1b2.asp

How to Apply
  • Complete the Nonimmigrant Visa Electronic Application (DS-160) form.
  • Pay the visa application fee.
  • Schedule your appointment on this web page. You need the following three pieces of information in order to schedule your appointment: ..
  • Visit the Consulate General on the date and time of your visa interview.

Why is this YOUR problem? If it's HER money she can put it back into HER account, right? HOW did you not know how this works? You can't believe other people about this stuff.

Something fishy here with this lady. Like a ROMANCE SCAM.

Lemme guess. Somehow...she's asking YOU to cough up some money to cover this story. DON'T DO IT. DO NOT GET INVOLVED IN HER MONEY OR HER IN YOURS AT ALL.

Like....she's gonna "give" you a check for $13K then after some monkey business YOU'RE gonna "give" her or somebody thousands of dollars for some weird unbelievable reason.

And do NOT let her or anybody else on your computer or take control of it from a remote location.

Last edited by jaxrivers; 08-25-2023 at 09:54 PM..

Old 08-26-2023, 09:09 AM

9,857 posts, read 7,724,981 times
Quote:
I have a friend coming to Dallas from Hong Kong. I have a $13k bank check payable to only me in Hong Kong currently. I thought having her bring it on her next trio but am worried about the $10k limit. Why not mail it to me? Any ideas on private companies who might do so vs some gov owned mail carrier etc? Thanks in advance.
Why a bank check? Why not have the bank transfer the funds into your account?

Old 08-26-2023, 09:10 AM

3,933 posts, read 2,190,360 times
Quote:
Trust me we did. The rule is tourist visa to USA you have to prove you can afford to sustain yourself, cash or a credit card works., the visa company who booked her flight did not advise of the new added Covid test requirement nor the cash show which we had in China but converted it to the bank check with their knowledge.
I offered her my credit card info,as I plan to pay for the visit but that would not suffice.

Am I over reacting mailing the check rather than have her bring it and of course report it on flight?
Is it on-line dating?
Sounds like a bit of scam comments from her
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance