Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2023, 11:43 PM

76 posts, read 60,550 times

Advertisements

I've been wanting to get into the film directing business and I am producing and directing my first feature film.* However, I am also in the process of buying my first home and why these two things had to happen in my life at the same time, I am not sure.* Because after these two things, and will no longer have any savings hardly, and so I will be*making money as I go after.

It's life of course, but does the fact that both are happening at the same time, mean something has likely gone wrong here?* Or am I just anxious and should not be thinking about it is a sign at all, and just happenstance?

Thank you for any advice on this!* I really appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2023, 12:11 AM

7,643 posts, read 4,589,722 times
Congrats on the film. Guessing that directing gig allowed enough income to make a home purchase possible. A correlation is fairly normal.

While I don't know, I would imagine directing is a lifetime of project work, and all the ups and downs in between. It's not wrong to want cushion, especially as you start increasing responsibilities....so don't celebrate too expensively at the Oscars. Bank it and keep some liquidity so you can keep making payments when times are tougher.

Rule of thumb: How long will it take for you to get a replacement gig. If the answer is 10 months...that's how many months of consumption you are looking to save. (But at least get money market returns).

Old 07-21-2023, 07:44 AM

I'm not sure how long really, it's been completely unpredictable. However, I think there is a good chance I won't make money off the movie, unless we find a distributor.

Old 07-21-2023, 08:10 AM

4,437 posts, read 8,122,653 times
I'd be concerned depleting savings as a new homeowner. Maintenance can crop up unexpectedly and sometimes at high expense.

Old 07-21-2023, 08:27 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
By "producing and directing" What do you mean? This is a home project? Do you have any experience in this area? Is this to make money, or is it a money pit, vanity project?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-21-2023, 09:04 AM

7,643 posts, read 4,589,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonica44 View Post
I'm not sure how long really, it's been completely unpredictable. However, I think there is a good chance I won't make money off the movie, unless we find a distributor.

I have a friend I grew up with in a small town who is a really cool artist. I truly love her work. She works with metals and has a little shop in which she performs her trade. In the front of her shop, however, is the reality of where she lives. She has a hair dresser studio and she cuts hair. She has to cut enough hair to make sure her ongoing bills are paid. When her art sells, then she has money for savings. That savings is what needs to build to someday allow her to eventually replace having to cut hair.

In some way or another, you'll need to have ready income available to make those payments and keep the home up. If you invest those bursts of cash, the income thrown off that money can help in turning the steady earning job into a series of investments. However, if you need that cash because that's the only money coming in, you'll need to do everything to ensure you can start to predict the completely unpredictable above. So it would indeed be a bit worrisome I think.

Be smart and be frugal until you can figure that out. Good luck to you. I hope it all works out.

Old 07-23-2023, 04:27 PM

18,804 posts, read 8,462,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonica44 View Post
I've been wanting to get into the film directing business and I am producing and directing my first feature film.* However, I am also in the process of buying my first home and why these two things had to happen in my life at the same time, I am not sure.* Because after these two things, and will no longer have any savings hardly, and so I will be*making money as I go after.

It's life of course, but does the fact that both are happening at the same time, mean something has likely gone wrong here?* Or am I just anxious and should not be thinking about it is a sign at all, and just happenstance?

Thank you for any advice on this!* I really appreciate it!
IMO it is a bad and risky sign. The future of your film is very far from guaranteed, as is your income. My daughter and husband are in this business, and the last year or so it has been very unstable and unpredictiable. Despite having an Emmy under their belt, they were out of work recently for the first time in their lives. They have the cheapest house in the Hollywood Hills, fixing it up themselves. And can afford it, but had to rely on savings recently. It does not sound like you have savings or a back up plan. So IMO very risky commiting to home ownership at this time.

Old 07-24-2023, 05:13 PM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,789 posts, read 4,151,892 times
OK... someones got to say it. Brief and right to the point: I don't think you've thought this through very well.

Old 07-25-2023, 02:33 PM

23,255 posts, read 18,764,714 times
. Part of this might come down to why these two events ended up popping up at the same time. How much control did you have over either one?

Did you choose to start the film project at that point or did funding/support just happen to jell at the time?

Did you choose to start the house purchase knowing about the film or did your financing/loan pre-approval application just happen to jell right then?

The answer to those questions might tell you a lot about your planning skills and your level of risk tolerance.

Old 07-27-2023, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
IMO it is a bad and risky sign. The future of your film is very far from guaranteed, as is your income. My daughter and husband are in this business, and the last year or so it has been very unstable and unpredictiable. Despite having an Emmy under their belt, they were out of work recently for the first time in their lives. They have the cheapest house in the Hollywood Hills, fixing it up themselves. And can afford it, but had to rely on savings recently. It does not sound like you have savings or a back up plan. So IMO very risky commiting to home ownership at this time.
Oh okay thank you for the input! I have savings, but since houses are more costly now, I will have to spend a lot of the savings on the house right away in order to not have to pay as much interest later, if that's a good idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance