Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2023, 12:45 PM

5,888 posts, read 6,955,799 times

Advertisements

We have a vacation trip planned for next year and I will need to make a one-time payment of around $10k, which is over the limit for any one of my credit cards. I don’t want to ask for a credit limit increase or to spread the charge over a couple of cards. I was thinking of pre-paying the $10k so I would have that as credit when I make the charge.

Are there any issues with doing this? I’m guessing I should make the payment about a week or so before I do the charge, to make sure everything clears.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2023, 12:50 PM

5,992 posts, read 3,731,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
We have a vacation trip planned for next year and I will need to make a one-time payment of around $10k, which is over the limit for any one of my credit cards. I don’t want to ask for a credit limit increase or to spread the charge over a couple of cards. I was thinking of pre-paying the $10k so I would have that as credit when I make the charge.

Are there any issues with doing this? I’m guessing I should make the payment about a week or so before I do the charge, to make sure everything clears.
I don't see the point of pre-paying the ENTIRE $10,000 if you have a $10,000 credit limit. Instead, pay only a few thousand so that even when you charge the $10,000 debt, you won't be over the $10,000 balance limit.

Old 11-29-2023, 01:09 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
We have a vacation trip planned for next year and I will need to make a one-time payment of around $10k, which is over the limit for any one of my credit cards. I don’t want to ask for a credit limit increase
What IS the limit, and why not ask for an increase?

Quote:
Are there any issues with doing this?
My CCs don't let me pay more than what is posted to the account.

Old 11-29-2023, 01:30 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,549,540 times
Quote:

I would call the CC company first to confirm that they'll let you do it. Some might, some might not.

Old 11-29-2023, 01:49 PM

24,553 posts, read 10,869,900 times
A pre paid card may not get accepted.

Old 11-29-2023, 01:54 PM

5,888 posts, read 6,955,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
I don't see the point of pre-paying the ENTIRE $10,000 if you have a $10,000 credit limit. Instead, pay only a few thousand so that even when you charge the $10,000 debt, you won't be over the $10,000 balance limit.
I don't have a $10k limit. I think it is around $5k. I do have to make a single $10k payment to the travel agency. I would prefer to do it on my rewards card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
What IS the limit, and why not ask for an increase?
See above. I don't want to go through the hassle of a credit limit increase for something that is a one time event.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
A pre paid card may not get accepted.
It is not a pre-paid card. It is a regular Citi Visa card.

Old 11-29-2023, 01:55 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
I don't want to go through the hassle of a credit limit increase for something that is a one time event.
It is not a hassle, really!
And you can ask for a temporary increase, although I think $5k is too low to carry.

Old 11-29-2023, 02:03 PM

4,542 posts, read 2,679,244 times
You know, you COULD just write them a check and be done with it.

If you're struggling with being able to pay for a vacation and have to do all kinds of special manipulations, I'd suggest you can't afford it and ought to plan on something less expensive.

Old 11-29-2023, 03:01 PM

2,747 posts, read 1,782,581 times
Quote:

Get your travel agent to bill $5k, pay that with the card any pay it off, then bill the other $5k. Shouldn't be any issues doing it this way.

Old 11-29-2023, 03:03 PM

9,860 posts, read 7,732,644 times
Quote:
I don't have a $10k limit. I think it is around $5k. I do have to make a single $10k payment to the travel agency. I would prefer to do it on my rewards card.

See above. I don't want to go through the hassle of a credit limit increase for something that is a one time event.

It is not a pre-paid card. It is a regular Citi Visa card.
You're still going to have to call Citi and ask if your plan will work.

They may not accept your overpayment.

They may not approve a $10K purchase even if you made a higher payment.

They may not give you rewards on all $10K.

I have customers who make large purchases that are over their credit card limits or daily limits. I will break their total due into 2-3 payments over a few days for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance