Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2024, 10:31 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,013,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
I briefly looked at SmartAsset. It didn't seem to calculate property taxes, a pernicious form of a wealth tax.
I guess you looked at SmartAsset a little too briefly because it most certainly does calculate property taxes.

https://smartasset.com/taxes/property-taxes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2024, 10:52 AM

11,442 posts, read 5,980,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
I guess you looked at SmartAsset a little too briefly because it most certainly does calculate property taxes.

He is correct.
It is not in their tax friendliness calculator
or they would include home values in their input variables. While they have a way to compare property taxes, they don't include property taxes in the overall calculator. They should.

Old 02-08-2024, 11:57 AM

1,852 posts, read 881,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin65 View Post
I entered my information for two different zip codes, (B'ham and Atlanta area) that was not the case. The "state taxes" in Georgia were double Alabama.

Atlanta is very much high income while Birmingham is the exact opposite. If you want a better comparison, try Birmingham and Macon or Huntsville and Atlanta.

Old 02-10-2024, 05:14 PM

558 posts, read 434,439 times
I live in Alabama so know nothing about Georgia taxes. Alabama doesn't tax SS or pensions. I believe the legislature passed some exemption for 401ks, but it wasn't a lot of money. However, anything helps.

Property taxes are low, but sales taxes are relatively high (close to 9 or 10%). That includes food, which Georgia might not tax. The legislature passed a small reduction in the tax on food that is supposed to phase in. But the city and county sales taxes aren't affected.

I had about $65k worth of income last year from SS and pension. I earned $7500 from a part-time job and paid $200 worth of Alabama tax. I got it all back when I filed my taxes.

Old 02-13-2024, 10:26 AM

946 posts, read 775,210 times
Thank everyone for your insight. I did enter everything pretty exact on location and income sources.

I'll have to look at the property tax thing.

Old 02-13-2024, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
Atlanta is very much high income while Birmingham is the exact opposite. If you want a better comparison, try Birmingham and Macon or Huntsville and Atlanta.
No ideal why this would matter at all. If anything, it seems to imply B'ham would be much cheaper than Atlanta which goes even further to say that the implication they make that Georgia is better for retirees is way far off.

Old 02-13-2024, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSusana View Post
I live in Alabama so know nothing about Georgia taxes. Alabama doesn't tax SS or pensions. I believe the legislature passed some exemption for 401ks, but it wasn't a lot of money. However, anything helps.

Property taxes are low, but sales taxes are relatively high (close to 9 or 10%). That includes food, which Georgia might not tax. The legislature passed a small reduction in the tax on food that is supposed to phase in. But the city and county sales taxes aren't affected.

I had about $65k worth of income last year from SS and pension. I earned $7500 from a part-time job and paid $200 worth of Alabama tax. I got it all back when I filed my taxes.
This seem close to my situation. Thanks for the information.

Old 02-13-2024, 10:37 AM

Quote:

It is impossible to answer that question without knowing your age at retirement as well as the specific amounts and sources of retirement income.
Age 58.75. I'm not even planning to withdraw from the 401K until 59.5. I'll just start taking the pension at 58.75.

So what I'm really trying to look at is the taxes from 59.5 and onward. I realize that's probably being to analytical, but I just wanted to look at it.

Old 02-13-2024, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post

Property taxes at my zip code in B'ham metro $1625. Marrietta Georgia same value house, $2373.

So again, Alabama much more tax friendly.

Old 02-13-2024, 10:53 AM

I've also checked some other states. It's just the Alabama versus Georgia that is sticking out like a sore thumb. For lack of a better term. Maybe SmartAsset made a mistake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance