Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2024, 02:18 AM

5,907 posts, read 4,440,392 times

Advertisements

Right now, I am locked into outrageously cheap housing. We bought it new and refinanced at historic low rates during Covid. It’s about 10% of gross pay. Typically, I think anything over 30% of gross pay is too much as a rule of thumb.

Due to many changes in life circumstances, it’s time to move and to move back to a larger metro. With interest rates still high and housing costs still so high, this is causing me a lot of stress thinking it’s making a mistake. However, we/I can’t make decisions based on only money but rather quality of life and happiness. There is also massive risk for staying where I am with no alternative job opportunity.

I’d expect my housing cost to basically double or worse to get the expanded accommodations we’ll need now and in a much more sought after area.

How bad of an idea do you think it is to keep sales proceeds from a house sale rather than putting down money?

Against other peoples judgement, my first two starter homes were bought with nothing down as I rolled the dice to get into the market sooner rather than saving. I paid PMI, but I gained housing equity and it allowed me to have more cash to invest in the stock market when I was young and had major competing factors for my money.

Let’s say for the sake of simplicity, I will have $100,000 of net proceeds. I could roll it into the down payment. This will help lower my monthly payment some.

Or I was thinking…3 things to do as a group to take pressure off cashflow

I have student loans that restarted that have pretty high interest rates(particularly on the unsubsidized portions) from a much earlier time period. I have a decent amount of debt left. I could pay this down. This can free up cashflow going forward.

I could hold the cash in a CD at somewhat higher interest rates to ease this time of much higher housing costs.

I also do a particular aggressive form of using credit cards on zero percent interest 18 month windows and run them up 20-30k and free up cash, which I have then been parking in CDs. I could exit this strategy and get a reset. I have more cash than my debt but this strategy sometimes gives me heartburn when it gets so high.

What say you?

All this movement and uncertainty has me wanting to move my 401k funds to a hugely conservative position and exit my 90% equity position and lock in my gains…but I know that is a terrible, fear based idea and I’m trying to avoid it. I want to slap myself for even suggesting it as a 1-2 year “solution”.

Do you think this alternative decision is equally bad and short sighted? I’m trying to balance what I think/know is financially right with what my anxiety/stress is telling me I want to do to meet my risk tolerance.

Last edited by Thatsright19; 03-03-2024 at 02:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2024, 01:58 PM

18,549 posts, read 15,608,581 times
Don't try to time the market - a 401(k) is supposed to be a passive investment.

Also, be careful about tying up too much money in CD's especially if they are long-term and cannot be resold. You can, however, do a staggered or laddered approach where you keep 6 months' expenses in cash and then keep more money in a CD that matures once every 6 months. Just stop rolling it over when you plan to buy a house in less than 6 months.

Old 03-05-2024, 02:12 PM

4,441 posts, read 8,139,975 times
It kind of sounds like emotions are swaying your decision making process. I'd just put the proceeds into the next home. If interest rates drop, then refinance to lower the % of gross pay. Keep things simple instead of Rube Goldberg things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance