Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2024, 06:05 AM

5,874 posts, read 6,940,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyLark2019 View Post
OP you sound like a very out of touch person complaining about this.

Back in the day this was called "layaway" & no one judged because everyone's mom sometimes had to "borrow out of the piggybank" so the kids could have a nice Christmas.

Some things are worth putting on credit.
With layaway, you don't get the item until it is paid for. With BuyNow, PayLater, you get the item immediately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2024, 10:17 AM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
Not so, layaways have no interest charges, but CCs do.
Not always. I just bought a couch and a TV with no interest for 12 months. I have the money, and I will pay them sooner, but I want to continue to earn interest on the money in the meantime.

Old 02-27-2024, 11:34 AM

23,252 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Not always. I just bought a couch and a TV with no interest for 12 months. I have the money, and I will pay them sooner, but I want to continue to earn interest on the money in the meantime.
This. I see ads for interest free and "introductory" CC offers all the time. Just have to read the fine print carefully!

Old 02-28-2024, 03:29 PM

24,476 posts, read 10,804,014 times
I do not see the trap. You buy something you pay for it. The debt does not disappear. If you do not understand that basic concept you have issues.

Old 02-28-2024, 03:46 PM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Or else a new generation is just finding this out.

I once had to live in the land of financial embarassment because I was married to a person with bad habits. I borrowed from Peter to pay Paul, carried high-interest balances, kited checks to make ends meet, set up payment plans with the IRS, even went to landlord-tenant court to work out a deal so that I wouldn't get evicted. I got rid of the main financial problem by getting a divorce, but it took me years to recover. Now I pay off credit cards in full each month and my mortgage is my only debt.

However, this week I've spent a lot of money as I am trying to furnish an apartment, a second residence, as cheaply as possible, but I still spent more than I intended. I woke up this morning in panic about it until I calmed myself down by reminding myself that I will be able to pay for all of it when the bills come.

I never want to be in that position again where debt overwhelms me.
my ex wife wanted me to be proud of her when she paid cash .

yeah , she paid cash with the money she was supposed to send to the credit card company .

she had awful money habbits

Old 02-29-2024, 01:18 AM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
my ex wife wanted me to be proud of her when she paid cash .

yeah , she paid cash with the money she was supposed to send to the credit card company .

she had awful money habbits
Mine owed money almost every week during football season to bookies in the Bronx. Oh occasionally he'd win. But books make money because you mostly don't win. And they get their money before rent or other bills.

Of course, financial arrangements can be made through loan sharks...at 5% per week.

Getting rid of him was the best financial decision I ever made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance