Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2024, 05:55 AM

3,141 posts, read 1,595,514 times

Advertisements

Private. I don't see what purpose it serves to tell anyone. My grandmother was a wealthy woman and she became distressed by my aunt frequently "borrowing" money from her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2024, 06:07 AM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Those are personal situations with family

Odds are she would ask for money even if she didn’t know

Some families always have someone looking for something

Old 03-23-2024, 06:22 AM

746 posts, read 837,904 times
I have been helping my parents do some Roth rollovers so have a pretty good idea what their net worth and income stream is.

They really don't know what I make or have other than they know I am comfortable and knowledgeable enough to build up my net worth.

I have one good friend that we discuss investing strategies with but we really don't share numbers.

Old 03-23-2024, 06:32 AM

774 posts, read 1,047,704 times
I would share with family only. Of course my wife knows everything. My adult children (35 and 37) probably have a good idea but they don't know specifics. They both know we're comfortable financially and help them out occasionally (just recently gave each of them $10,000 gifts). And they know I'm contributing to VA529 accounts for my 3 grandchildren.

On the other hand how would you or should you ask your parents about their finances? My parents are both 85 now (divorced for many years). My dad remained fairly quickly and their still going strong. I'm the youngest of 3 brothers but I live the closest to both parents. I would expect my oldest brother to take the lead if anything happened to our parents, but since I'm the closest I expect to be heavily involved as well.

Old 03-23-2024, 06:54 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I have never asked anyone what their income/net worth is and no one has ever volunteered that information. Nor have we ever been asked. Not by friends, not by family--except for my two daughters who had to know our income in order to fill out the FAFSA form for university applications.

I haven't shared that on this board or elsewhere online, either.
Same here. It's never come up with friends or family and I can't imagine any situation where I would inquire about someone else's.

That said, for most of my working career my salary was public information. Moreover, I was required to file financial reports annually which not only delineated all of my investments, but also included each and every stock trade I made during the year as well as any outstanding loans I might have. Any and all persons had the right to request a copy of my annual financial report at any time.

Old 03-23-2024, 06:56 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
I have 2 sons who are Independent and working good jobs. I have given them a general idea so basically to know I and they will be taken care of as required. And that I can afford the trips, travel and play I want to do now that I'm retired.

A peace of mind.

Old 03-23-2024, 06:58 AM

3,287 posts, read 9,183,864 times
No one but each other. If buying a house or requesting a loan or credit card, obviously the loan officer will know. But they have a legal responsibility for maintaining privacy.

Other than that, none of their business.

Old 03-23-2024, 07:15 AM

27,548 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
I'm not one to make a lot of friends, but the people I call friends I've known for decades. One in particular has a pretty good idea of my financial picture because we talk finances a lot. We share strategies, what we're doing and we're pretty aligned on financial moves. It's helpful to have someone to bounce off ideas.
I sometimes wish I could talk to a friend or family member about financial matters.

However, I experienced a lot of ego and jealousy from others when I attempted to do that in the past. People are very sensitive about money matters and status, at least in my social circles. It’s a taboo thing and like walking into a minefield.

So, I learned to keep my mouth shut. LOL

Old 03-23-2024, 07:22 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
No, I don't discuss any specifics about my salary or net worth.

Unless people are willing to show me their paystubs and account balances, I don't return the favor.
wouldnt dream of asking anyone either of their worth ..not anyones business..

Old 03-23-2024, 07:54 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times
My salary and bonus range are posted internally so anyone within the company would know. A few friends that are likeminded also know but it’s not something I just openly discuss with family/friends/acquaintance. Net worth doesn’t come up in conversation really at all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance