Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 03:28 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,761,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVTechMan View Post
Yes, you can use a debit card that is linked to your checking account. Never max your credit card or exceed the limit because once you do you will be slapped with the OL (Over Limit) fees. If you have a debit card and have the enough funds to cover your purchase, then I would recommend that instead of using the credit card, and best part is that since the amount is deducted from your checking account, its paid for. No bills, no hassles.
NOOOOOOOOO. Don't ever use your debit card to pay for anything. Here is what could happen:
1. You hand your debit card and the person enters the wrong amount. You notice and tell them. They then issue a credit in that amount. Then they charge the correct amount. So there are 2 charges and 1 credit. The 2 charges post on day 1 and the credit the next day. During that time you can have checks bounce. Then there would really be a hassle.
2. You card number get stolen and charges added. Well while you straighten all that out you are out your money. Hopefully you get it back and don't have any checks bounce.

Better use your credit card and set it up so that the balance is paid off automatically from your checking account on the due date. That way you can dispute any charges before they are paid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
And what is so wrong with paying from your already-accumulated cash? Why is there so much emphasis on building up "credit" (which is really "debt", not "credit") and worrying about FICO scores? At 19, you should be looking forward to a life filled with education, sports, enjoyable work, meeting girls, and having fun. NOT being saddled with debt!

My best advice to a young man: if you can pay off what little (I hope it's "little") debt you have accumulated so far in your young life, do so. Cut up the stupid credit cards. Don't go near a bank for anything but checking (there are better ways for saving). Don't get mixed up in this business. You are still in your teens. Those sharks will eat you alive; the name of their game is to get you on a debt and payment treadmill for life. Hop off now, while you still can, and thumb your nose at the banksters. They are nothing but crud and scum.

Probably nobody else will tell you this. This is the voice of experience.
I get cash back from my credit card. I never pay them any interest or late fees. I do not have to look for ATMs or worry how much money I have in my pocket. To me credit cards are great.

Here is a good site about credit cards. Compare Mortgage Rates | CD Rates | Credit Cards Home Equity Loans Mortgages Best Rate Calculator Bankrate.com You can search for the best credit card for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBSer View Post
off topic. i also transferred from allstate to statefarm car insurance. all state gave me an outstanding bill of $29.20. i called them and told them i dont understand it. they told me their manager will call me to explain further. no calls. and now.. i received a collection notice from them for the same amount. will this affect my good credit history coz i dont plan to pay $29.20. i believe i dont owe them anything. i was in autopay payment with allstate.
Take care of it or it will cost you. We had an issue with our best buy card over a $29 fee which they inflated to $240. We still believe we are right. Well after we moved we got a higher car insurance rate because of it. It didn't hurt us to buy a home because is such a small amount. Basically we have paid for it more that it was ever worth.
There two ways to take care of it.
1) Call allstate and try to convince them you don't owe it.
2) Call collection agency and negotiate a payoff. I used to work for a collection agency and they will always negotiate with you. Putting it on your credit is part of the negotiation. Read the letter they send you it probably says "if you don't pay we will put it on your record". You say to them I'll pay but don't put in my record.

To the OP don't worry so much about scores. Just make sure you are not paying money for nothing (i.e. interest on purchases or late fees). To buy a house what matters is that you can pay for it and have a history of being responsible with money. Part of the big mess we are in now is the heavy reliance on scores in the lending industry. Things have changed an a good down payment is more important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 04:25 PM

432 posts, read 1,662,768 times
Should I use Paypal when it comes to online purchase(s) that cost more than my credit card limit? Can I link my checking account to a Paypal account?

In addition, should I ask the bank to send me my credit card bill so I can start using my checks or should I always pay my bill online?

Old 07-14-2008, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BORGUSX View Post
In addition, should I ask the bank to send me my credit card bill so I can start using my checks or should I always pay my bill online?
Why pay for stamps? Why do you want to use your checks? They are rapidly becoming a thing of the past.

Don't know about pay pals policies if the product you purchase doesn't arrive. It should be easy to get another credit card with a higher limit.

Old 07-14-2008, 04:48 PM

Well, I believe that it is a waste of money by buying my first box of checks and not using it unless I just look at them for fun!

Old 07-14-2008, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BORGUSX View Post
Well, I believe that it is a waste of money by buying my first box of checks and not using it unless I just look at them for fun!
It will be a bigger waste of money to pay for stamps to use them. What is it now 42 cents? Occasionally you will come to a situation that requires you to use checks, save them for then. I pay for yard maintenance with a check.

Old 07-15-2008, 08:57 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,498,734 times
Quote:
NOOOOOOOOO. Don't ever use your debit card to pay for anything. Here is what could happen:
1. You hand your debit card and the person enters the wrong amount. You notice and tell them. They then issue a credit in that amount. Then they charge the correct amount. So there are 2 charges and 1 credit. The 2 charges post on day 1 and the credit the next day. During that time you can have checks bounce. Then there would really be a hassle.
2. You card number get stolen and charges added. Well while you straighten all that out you are out your money. Hopefully you get it back and don't have any checks bounce.

Better use your credit card and set it up so that the balance is paid off automatically from your checking account on the due date. That way you can dispute any charges before they are paid.
I've never had a problem with my debit card or known anyone else who has. I use it for everything and keep a close watch on my account.

I got my credit card at 19 because I was told that I needed to "build credit" So I racked up bills to build the credit, and ended up 5,500 dollars in debt. Fortunately I'll have it paid off by October. But all that money could have gone to other better things, and I would have saved myself a lot of anxiety if I never got the card in the first place.

If someone tells you you should get a credit card, run for the hills!!! There are other ways to build credit without getting into debt, you just have to look into alternatives. I only know of one person who has a credit card and can handle it.

I recommend you look into Dave Ramsey. he's written several books and has his own show. And he has excellent advice.

Debt is financial slavery. It's not worth it

Old 07-15-2008, 09:18 AM

2,589 posts, read 10,575,278 times
Because of the potential issues with both debit and credit cards (either mispostings, delayed credits, identity theft, etc) I do have one credit card with a low balance that I use ONLY for internet and phone transactions. That way if there is an issue with identity theft or comprimise from a card-not-present situation then its limited to that one card and doesn't directly impact my primary card or checking account. I also monitor that one credit card extra closely for any unauthorized transactions.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
I've never had a problem with my debit card or known anyone else who has. I use it for everything and keep a close watch on my account.

I got my credit card at 19 because I was told that I needed to "build credit" So I racked up bills to build the credit, and ended up 5,500 dollars in debt. Fortunately I'll have it paid off by October. But all that money could have gone to other better things, and I would have saved myself a lot of anxiety if I never got the card in the first place.

If someone tells you you should get a credit card, run for the hills!!! There are other ways to build credit without getting into debt, you just have to look into alternatives. I only know of one person who has a credit card and can handle it.

I recommend you look into Dave Ramsey. he's written several books and has his own show. And he has excellent advice.

Debt is financial slavery. It's not worth it
Yeah anyone that can't handle a credit card shouldn't have one. Credit card does not equal debt. I have them and the only debt I have is mortgage and car payment.

Why can't someone learn to handle credit cards?. Why is it so difficult?. People don't write checks for money the don't have why do they charge things they can't pay?. I just don't get it.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:48 AM

2,589 posts, read 10,575,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
People don't write checks for money the don't have .....
Yes they do - otherwise the collection companies that charge high high fees for going after them wouldn't be making good money.

Old 07-15-2008, 10:02 AM

Some people can't handle credit card just based on the ideology of buy now and pay later! So, there are people who just use a credit card to get whatever they want because they want it now and it is convenience for them! People would think oh well, I can worry about paying off my balance later!

Here is an update:Well, I found out that somehow my credit card limit went back to what it used to which was $500.00 USD! I guess that someone working at the bank mistakenly increase my credit card limit! I am $7.75 USD in debt (in theory) because it hasn't show up as my credit card balance online yet!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance