Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 10:40 AM

32,937 posts, read 36,359,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocontengencies View Post
Why is it considered harassment? If you have something that is rightfully theirs I don't see how it can be considered them harassing you. $660 car payment? Does anyone else see the obvious here? No one needs this much car when they can't afford it. I think this person screwed them self. Get rid of it before your credit is ruined.
I hope that they were able to clear up that problem in the interim... 2 years and nearly 2 months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2010, 05:03 AM

16 posts, read 31,772 times
I don't think that these calls are illegal, though, I can't say exactly. I suppose it depends on the way you present them. But still, due to the fact that they borrow you money, they seem to have the right for calling. Just try to pay in time or don't mind on these calls.

Old 12-06-2010, 06:35 PM

4 posts, read 23,360 times
I am exactly 30 days late on my car note. The finance company starts calling me when I am around 20 days late and continues to call and text my phone. I have at times ignored them but today they caught me by surprise by calling with a local number I did not recognize. I answered only because me and my fiance have applications out looking for jobs. They were asking me questions like what is your source of income, which is unemployment, when do I certify and when do I usually get my money. I am trying hard to keep up on my payment but am in a financial hardship with trying to also keep up with rent, bills and child support. I have to pay for their calls when talking to them and I pay 20 cents every text they send me. What can I do about them calling and texting and is there anything that I can do about lowering my payment??? I need to keep my vehicle and it is crucial that I do so.

Old 04-14-2011, 03:07 PM

1 posts, read 3,954 times
They can call as many times till you talk to them. You owe the money. You didn't pay, you signed a contract, you have to deal with the calls. That's your fault not theirs. Telemarketers are different. But debt collectors have must more lax rules because they are not soliciting, they are trying to collect a debt that is OWED. Nothing wrong with that. A business is in business for money. If you sign that you owe money, you owe the money. Getting an attorney to stop the calls is insane. You can notify them in writing (every company has this option with loans) that they cannot call, they must only communicate through the mail. You have to mail a signed statement in though. This isn't difficult. You're avoiding your responsibilities and trying to blame them trying to collect money on your mistakes. It's not their fault they trusted you to pay, it's yours.

Old 04-17-2011, 08:53 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
I do not give my creditors my home phone numbers. I give them my cell phone that I can put on mute. I also , if I can avoid it do not give them a phone number at all.
Just change your contact information on their web site.

Old 04-17-2011, 08:57 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I was getting collection calls for some guy named Ernesto -- I assume he gave them a fake number which turned out to be mine....

And the collection company wouldn't believe that Ernesto wasn't here. Talk about going around in circles!

Funny. That happned to me also. Someone kept calling for some girl that wasn't me. I told them that and told them to stop calling. They said "if you pay your bill we will stop calling"

Old 04-17-2011, 09:17 AM

929 posts, read 2,092,641 times
Go to this website and follow the instruction on how to get a debt collector to stop calling you. It is the law.

Debt Collection FAQs: A Guide for Consumers

Old 04-17-2011, 09:25 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,546,851 times
And stop buying your (depreciating) cars on credit.

Old 04-17-2011, 09:38 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTR36 View Post
This is a question posed by one of my coworkers. She has her car loan company calling her 6-7 times a day when her payment is late about 5 days. She says it's a computerized call and it has a recording that says "please call XXX at 1-800-XXXX) blah blah. It leaves a message on her voice mail. If she answers the call to talk to them and tell them she already mailed it, she only hears the same recording. Is it legal for them to contact her every single day umpteen times per day?

I told her I would ask here
You guys know everything.
Just pickup say hello let them reply and hangup. They can't call again if they have spoken to you.

If they call again on the same day, keep track and report them. You can get paid for the violation of Fair Collection Laws.

Old 04-17-2011, 11:46 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,067,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebino View Post
They can call as many times till you talk to them. You owe the money. You didn't pay, you signed a contract, you have to deal with the calls. That's your fault not theirs. Telemarketers are different. But debt collectors have must more lax rules because they are not soliciting, they are trying to collect a debt that is OWED. Nothing wrong with that. A business is in business for money. If you sign that you owe money, you owe the money. Getting an attorney to stop the calls is insane. You can notify them in writing (every company has this option with loans) that they cannot call, they must only communicate through the mail. You have to mail a signed statement in though. This isn't difficult. You're avoiding your responsibilities and trying to blame them trying to collect money on your mistakes. It's not their fault they trusted you to pay, it's yours.
Don't post unless you know what you're talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance