Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 01:43 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,054,767 times

Advertisements

I'd never checked my credit score before, or even cared. But I just now took a look online. My score was 600-700. I was wondering why it is so low.

I've been completely debt free for 15 years or so, and paid the few bills I've had on time. Paid cash for my car (<$5K). I have 2 CCs, one I use occasionally (DC), one I use regularly (Visa), both PIF each month. They don't like deadbeats?

I've been in college f/t (non-trad, grants and scholarships) with no debt from that, but my income has been very low for the past few years (<10K/yr) since I've only worked p/t.

I need to learn more about all this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 02:03 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,528,172 times
Your score isn't "low". Supposedly the 'average' score is 693. You need to contact the "big 3" to get a copy of your reports, which may show something that is not correct. It is rare for someone to have all 3 reports be 100% correct.

I have suspected for a long time that the 3 reporting agencies are in bed with the bankers. If you pay off everything right away and never give them their due of 'interest', they don't like it much. If you are hell-bent on having a great FICO score, try stretching out your payments for 3 months. It won't make you a "dead-beat".

My opinion is, who cares? Why bother with credit (debt) anyway?

Old 08-21-2008, 02:35 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,618,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Your score isn't "low". Supposedly the 'average' score is 693. You need to contact the "big 3" to get a copy of your reports, which may show something that is not correct. It is rare for someone to have all 3 reports be 100% correct.

I have suspected for a long time that the 3 reporting agencies are in bed with the bankers. If you pay off everything right away and never give them their due of 'interest', they don't like it much. If you are hell-bent on having a great FICO score, try stretching out your payments for 3 months. It won't make you a "dead-beat".

My opinion is, who cares? Why bother with credit (debt) anyway?
I agree. The score is how well you make payments and manage debt. It you don't plan to go into debt, it doesn't matter.

Old 08-21-2008, 02:37 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,976,999 times
One reason may be becuase you have too little debt. Sad as it seems, the system looks at the # of accounts, mix of different types, length of history, etc.

So having only credit cards and only 2 might keep you from the top tier. You will get a good score, but its harder. Now don't go crazy and get 6-7 accounts, but you want a few, different types of accounts with long term history (>3 years) that you pay consistenly.

Credit has zero to do with income, employment, savings or how you pay bills... those are not included in the score. So all they can gauge you on is the history of paying debts back. Too little debt history makes it harder to judge your true credit profile.

Old 08-21-2008, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarrillo View Post
One reason may be becuase you have too little debt.

Old 08-21-2008, 03:24 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,714,840 times
Yeah..what a sham. The more debt you have the better your score (assuming you pay on time). Can't fathom that.

Those folks that live nearly debt free should have scores near 1000 IMHO.

Old 08-21-2008, 03:28 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,812,021 times
not having a car loan or a home loan in your history probably hurts. those are big ticket items

Old 08-21-2008, 03:36 PM

I only have 1 debt..my mortgage. I got a car with a loan and paid it off in 1.5 years.
I pay my CC in full each month.

I just don't like debt and try to pay it off ASAP. I do add extra principal to my mortgage payment each month..and calculated this 30 year mtg will be paid off way before that time.

Old 08-21-2008, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Yeah..what a sham. The more debt you have the better your score (assuming you pay on time). Can't fathom that.

Those folks that live nearly debt free should have scores near 1000 IMHO.
My SO is thinking of maybe buying a house in a year or two. I've been doing some homework on house buying and mortgages. I'm not sure if I'll be part of the buying equation or just pay "rent" to him when I live there. (I'm not hung up on owning things....)

He's never checked his credit score either. He got his first credit card at 39 yrs old. PIF every month. He never had car payments: payed cash for a Toyota truck that he drove for 20 years, then paid cash for replacement truck a couple years ago. He had a small student loan (<10K) that he PIF after graduation. He got a modest inheritance after his mom passed away. Was thinking of around $30K dwnpmt on modest house. Can he get a loan?

Old 08-21-2008, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eofelis View Post
My SO is thinking of maybe buying a house in a year or two. I've been doing some homework on house buying and mortgages. I'm not sure if I'll be part of the buying equation or just pay "rent" to him when I live there. (I'm not hung up on owning things....)

He's never checked his credit score either. He got his first credit card at 39 yrs old. PIF every month. He never had car payments: payed cash for a Toyota truck that he drove for 20 years, then paid cash for replacement truck a couple years ago. He had a small student loan (<10K) that he PIF after graduation. He got a modest inheritance after his mom passed away. Was thinking of around $30K dwnpmt on modest house. Can he get a loan?
If I ran a bank then he'd be one of my "star" customers..but alas that is not how the banking industry works.

He can go to a bank and ask to get pre-qualified for a mortgage. There's no committment and the bank will run the numbers and tell him how much of a mortgage he can qualify for and how much of a house he can buy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance