Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 05:29 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,544,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Your question is not clear.

Generally speaking, housing costs should not exceed 25% of the household's income, maybe 33%.

The basic rule of thumb is that the purchase price of the house should not exceed 3x one's annual income.

Generally speaking, rental rates and housing prices are in equilbrium when, putting 20% down on a house, mortgage, taxes, insurance and basic maintenance on a monthly basis come to about the same as the monthly rental rate.

Hope this answers your question(s).

Hey bale, thanks for trying . . .

What I was actually wondering is if say a house is valued at say $500,000 it should rent for $XXXX per month. Or if it is valued at $100,000 it should rent for $YYYY per month.

Or vice versa if the equation exists -- a typical house that rents for say $2000 a month should be valued at $ZZZ,ZZZ.

Does that make sense? I see prices and supposed comps all over the place and the same with rents without a clear relationship -- and maybe one does not exist, but I was wondering if anyone knew any rules of thumb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 05:32 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,251,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
If I wasn't living with my parents then it would be 65%+

Just think 9.05 per hour and then have to pay 800 for rent.
At $9/hr, $800 rent is 55.56% ... tack on all the other stuff, home expenses would be waaaaay more than 65%. I stayed home, too, when I was in a similar position. Sometimes, I wish it were still the case. Paying bills suck!

Old 09-23-2008, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
Hey bale, thanks for trying . . .

What I was actually wondering is if say a house is valued at say $500,000 it should rent for $XXXX per month. Or if it is valued at $100,000 it should rent for $YYYY per month.

Or vice versa if the equation exists -- a typical house that rents for say $2000 a month should be valued at $ZZZ,ZZZ.

Does that make sense? I see prices and supposed comps all over the place and the same with rents without a clear relationship -- and maybe one does not exist, but I was wondering if anyone knew any rules of thumb.
I haven't kept up with this conversation but just based on the above post, what I can add is, value of home and rental price are not directly related.

It all boils down to one simple equation:

Revenue - Expenses = Gross Profit

Revenue in this case would be rent and expenses are directly related to the operation of your business (ie renting out the house). Of course, there's also depreciation but I won't get into that.

Don't value the rent based on the value of the home. Base it on what your expenses are every month and how much of a return you want to make on your investment. For example, it costs me $500 every month to maintain the house - normal upkeep, repairs, monthly HOA dues, etc. If I set the rent to $600, I'd make $100 profit; if I set the rent to $1,000, I'd make $500 profit.

What does matter, however, is the location of your rental property. Are you in a highly desirable area or somewhere in the hood? I rent a house out in the country for about $900/mo. If it were closer to town, they could probably charge me around $1200/mo but since nobody wants to live way out here and there are a LOT of rental homes, my landlord really can't go much higher than $900.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Old 09-23-2008, 05:42 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,477,418 times
5% only utilities,taxes, insurance, repair. We paid off our house over 20 years ago and when we had a corporate move, only bought what we could afford with those funds. We resisted getting a bigger and "better" house.

Now dont have the best house currently but its location gave me the ability to go back to work easily and I am ready to retire with Federal Health insurance = Priceless. Plus we can live here for the next 10-15 years.

Old 09-23-2008, 05:43 PM

Caveat to what I just said: Duh, if you have a $1,000,000 home versus a $100,000, then yes, the value of the home does matter.

Old 09-23-2008, 05:50 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,785,978 times
rent+gas+water/trash+electricty = 21.7% of my take home pay

I rent a 650sqft 1 bedroom though, this is South Orange County which is very expensive, most people cannot afford to rent out an entire apt. by themselves and usually split a 2bd with another or they are couples.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:39 PM

472 posts, read 872,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
Was reading in the news that more people are spending at least half of what they make on housing. In this thread, I do not want to know what your rent or house payment is. I want to know, what percentage of your income it consumes.

Housing costs should include:
  • mortgage payment or rent
  • Utilities (gas, oil, and electric)
  • taxes, PMI, insurance
  • water
  • trash pickup
If you are married, then your income should include that of your spouse.
P.S. Let's consider income as after-taxes "take home" pay.
mortgage payment- 21%
Utilities (gas, oil, and electric) -9%
taxes, PMI, insurance-11%
water 0%
trash pickup-.003%

Old 09-23-2008, 09:46 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,462,012 times
About 8%. House is paid off, so we have taxes, insurance, electric, gas, water, cable, internet, land line.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:58 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,446,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
About 8%. House is paid off, so we have taxes, insurance, electric, gas, water, cable, internet, land line.
What about maintaining the house?

I should have included that as well. Most people probably spend several hundred a month in maintenance alone -- and that includes things like replacing the roof or septic or buying a new stove or fixing the furnace, and so on. Repair bills can really add up.

Woofers

Old 09-23-2008, 10:02 PM

Yikes, SEVERAL hunderad a month?! Woof, you're not making a good argument that I should be a homeowner!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance