Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 06:26 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,546,711 times

Advertisements

I got dinged by this. I have a department store credit card, and every month the bill has been due on the 3rd. All of a sudden, this month it was due a week earlier! I'm sure they sent a notice with the bill (or even separately from the bill), but I never saw it. I tend to let mail pile up; anyone else do this? So this is a free public service announcement to please check the due dates every month, because those late fees can be bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 08:12 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,420,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
I got dinged by this. I have a department store credit card, and every month the bill has been due on the 3rd. All of a sudden, this month it was due a week earlier! I'm sure they sent a notice with the bill (or even separately from the bill), but I never saw it. I tend to let mail pile up; anyone else do this? So this is a free public service announcement to please check the due dates every month, because those late fees can be bad.
Any credit card I have, as a backup up, I sign up online and have them email me when my statement is ready. If you choose to sign up, just be careful and make sure you don't check anything opting out of getting your statements in the mail too.

Old 01-02-2009, 08:58 PM

339 posts, read 1,518,193 times
Yes, it is a good idea to be in the habit of checking the due date on credit card payments. Thanks for the heads up SandyCo... as I am sure this will help some people. Quite a while ago I had read an article that outlined how credit card companies don't like people who pay their balances in full every month because they can't make interest off them and this is where the companies really make their profits from - that and the extra fees. It's actually quite common for the credit card companies to shorten the cycle (length of time) of when the payment is due for the purpose of intentionally making the payee miss the deadline. Then they slap extra late fees on them and/or to justify raising their rate.

Old 01-03-2009, 06:20 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,769,264 times
I always write on the env. the due date and min. wanted (as well as what I plan to pay) - they are then "layered" by date.

Old 01-03-2009, 08:19 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,444,847 times
I'm down to only one credit card. It's so much easier to track.

The due date changes each month. I think they have a 28 day cycle or something?

No, wait... that's me. I have a 28 day cycle. I'm not sure about banks.

Old 01-04-2009, 05:41 AM

2,305 posts, read 3,028,223 times
The day the bill comes in the mail I pay the bill. Never even look at due date. You will never be late then. The bill has to be paid once a month anyway.

Old 01-04-2009, 05:57 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,769,264 times
That's a great method if you can do it - sometimes one has to wait for a paycheck or whatever. I do always pay earlier though and the full amount if possible.

Old 01-05-2009, 12:59 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
My credit card company shortened the period I have to pay from about 3 weeks to about 10 days--I guess because I always pay it on time in full. As the OP said, I was "dinged" once and have been careful to check it ever since.

Old 01-05-2009, 01:10 PM

2,430 posts, read 2,766,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
when a credit card company or a bank does something lke that i just sent a complaint to customer service.......i say there are business like yours.on every corner . and explain what I was charged for was a rare mistake on my part. And please give me a credit. NO Credit....I.stop using the account and pay it off, Unless it is a low intrest

Old 01-05-2009, 01:36 PM

589 posts, read 1,559,869 times
This tactic is getting more prevalent. Another practice is to send the bill later and later, giving you only a few days to settle. They are hoping you will be late and they can raise the interest rate to the maximum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance