Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 07:44 PM

10,054 posts, read 14,418,692 times

Advertisements

This may be a dumb question, but if the IRS puts a lien on a house a person owns, does the IRS take action and make that person sell the house?
Or is it a scenario where that lien just sits there until the property is refinanced or sold?
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 07:56 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Generally the latter. IRS is evil enough in most people's mind, they are not really going to evict people...

Old 01-05-2009, 08:07 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Usaully the latter because they really don't want the house uitself. The lean tho will effect any future laons etc which is why tehy can wait.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:15 PM

947 posts, read 3,138,600 times
With the lien you can't refinance or sell the house without the IRS getting paid first.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:50 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,875,208 times
An IRS lien is different than a regular lien. They will take your home and sell it. they don't carehow much they get, because it it sells for less than you owe them, then the go after you for the balance. One way or another, they WILL get their money...
The IRS has the power to do anything they want, and they are heartless...!
A quote from Federal or State Tax Lien - IRS Tax Lien Certificate on Property - DebtHelp
A Notice of Federal Tax Lien gives the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) legal ownership over your property as payment for tax liability. The tax lien certificate may be filed if and only if (1) the IRS assesses your tax debt, (2) the IRS notifies you and sends a demand for payment, and (3) you do not respond in payment within 10 days of notification.

The tax lien certificate grants legal claim to the IRS over all of your property and removes your rights to the property. Your creditors will be notified of the lien, and your credit rating may be harmed. You likely will have difficulty securing a loan.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:00 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
All liens are like that.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:15 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Yes ;its the same with all lien. What they ultimately want and will get some day is the money which adds up.My suggestion is tpo try to workout a payment plan ;they are pretty flesibale on that from wehat I have seen .

Old 01-06-2009, 07:41 AM

181 posts, read 635,336 times
Do you think that there is any chance that the IRS would accept a reduced amount then what you originally owe?

Old 01-06-2009, 08:21 AM

10,054 posts, read 14,418,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
An IRS lien is different than a regular lien. They will take your home and sell it. they don't carehow much they get, because it it sells for less than you owe them, then the go after you for the balance. One way or another, they WILL get their money...
The IRS has the power to do anything they want, and they are heartless...!
A quote from Federal or State Tax Lien - IRS Tax Lien Certificate on Property - DebtHelp
A Notice of Federal Tax Lien gives the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) legal ownership over your property as payment for tax liability. The tax lien certificate may be filed if and only if (1) the IRS assesses your tax debt, (2) the IRS notifies you and sends a demand for payment, and (3) you do not respond in payment within 10 days of notification.

The tax lien certificate grants legal claim to the IRS over all of your property and removes your rights to the property. Your creditors will be notified of the lien, and your credit rating may be harmed. You likely will have difficulty securing a loan.

Thanks for the above info--very helpful. My particular scenario is such that I have a payment plan worked out presently with the IRS for a couple of years worth of taxes (almost paid off). However, they filed a lien on my house in Nov for my amounts I owe from 2 most recent years. Very frustrating!
The monthly amount I pay is significant (just under $700).
So, I suppose once my first 2 yrs are paid off under this agreement, I'll have to continue paying on the lien amount placed on my house. I imagine they wouldn't take any further action as long as I am paying on time each month.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:10 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,875,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
All liens are like that.
NOT TRUE...! In a regular lien, you may wait fifty years to get any money, only when the lien property sells does the person holding the lien get any money.
The IRS can immediately take possession of your property and it belongs to them. No waiting, no fuss, no muss, it's their property as soon as they show up at your doorstep.
That's why I included the web site, figuring people could read...!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance