Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 07:17 PM

952 posts, read 3,710,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
I know someone who hopefully won't be trobule. The person went ahead and cashed a check that was from someone that she didn't know. However, she cashed it. Could have been a secret santa, someone letting her know thru junk email and she did not pay attention to it, etc. I called the number listed on the envelope, 3 days later that she got however and there is a recording claiming that the check is fradulent due to idenity theft. For all her and I know, maybe the voice on the answering machine is lying.
If this turns out to be true, however, could she be charged with anything legally? She's waiting to see if it goes anywhere (letting anyone who has an interest in it coming to her). However, she may report it to local law enforcement as well. She's not sure what she wants to do.
Until she is told by law enforcement that that is a bad check (for now, we know it COULD be one, not IS bad by someone who is not of authority, plus the bank cleared it, and there's no hold on the funds), I don't think she could be charged with anything.
Her checking account number is nowhere on the check according to the bank so, I don't see where she could be a victim of idenity theft.
She's had some hard times lately, so that's why she's going with the "wait and see attitude". If she spends any of the money, I think she just gives up whatever is left, if it turns out fishy.
Please be kind. Thanks.

are you talking about yourself?
Do what your heart tells you. do whats right. You know the answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 07:19 PM

952 posts, read 3,710,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guntersville Boomer View Post
I know someone who got a check for $2000 with no reason enclosed, was fed ex'ed to her. It was drawn on an account out of Alaska. I helped her research it and come to find out it was drawn off an elderly man's account living on a retirement income, we turned it over to law enforcement.

What is really interesting is why was it sent to you? Did you find out?

Old 01-06-2009, 08:40 PM

48,502 posts, read 97,039,291 times
If she cashed the check and the check is stolen and forged she will of course be a suspect because the law thinks ;would a reasonable person cash a check that she doesn't know the person and says she got in the mail.Often it is what a jury believes is the truth not waht you claim happened; so I think your friend is playing with fire and might get burned.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:23 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,437,472 times
The only thing I can think of is that she may be contacted to give the money back via wire transfer and later the check they sent her bounces.

Or that they will somehow obtain her account information and clear out her account. When I worked for a bank we had to write the account number on checks deposited. So, once the person who wrote this check gets it back, not only will they know your bank account number they will know the bank and your account routing number because of the stamps on the back. What's to stop them from doing an unauthorized electronic debit from your account.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:04 PM

1,297 posts, read 4,778,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
That's the thing that makes me skeptical about that warning. Wouldn't someone who stole someone's identity to write illegal checks spend the money on themselves or friends that they know?
Maybe they want to see if anything happens to those random people when they cash them. If not then they will write them to themselves or an alias and keep the money for themselves.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:25 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,861,296 times
I once had an extra $1200 appear in my checking account.

I asked the bank what I should do if someone made a mistake posting to my account and they told me that they don't make mistakes. So I took them at their word and didn't mention it.

Three months went by and the mistake that nobody made was never corrected. I closed my account, took the money, and never heard anything about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance