Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2013, 09:13 PM

610 posts, read 3,009,153 times

Advertisements

For those of you on here who either have a Roth IRA or know a lot about them, what is the best investment vehicle to fund and grow a Roth IRA?

Mutual Funds? CDs? Annunities? Brokerage investments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 03:57 PM

102 posts, read 211,823 times
Mutual funds. CDs are worthless right now. Annuities I don't know much about but I can't imagine them paying out as much as equity-based mutual funds. If you're young, go with some aggressive funds and re-balance your portfolio as you get older to be more conservative. Or you can invest in a Target fund which essentially does the re-balancing for folks that plan on retiring by a target year. I need to invest more in the stock market but for now my $$ is better invested in small businesses.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:48 AM

17,670 posts, read 29,561,379 times
A mix.
If you are young, then 100% stocks. Two mutual funds: USA and global.
Any large mutual fund company can help. Just make sure their fees are low. Check Morningstar for grades.

Old 02-27-2013, 03:31 AM

30,856 posts, read 36,754,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heeha View Post
For those of you on here who either have a Roth IRA or know a lot about them, what is the best investment vehicle to fund and grow a Roth IRA?

Mutual Funds? CDs? Annunities? Brokerage investments?
I think a mutual fund that invests in a mix of stocks and bonds is best. They are known as "balanced", "hybrid", and "asset allocation" funds...all different words for the same thing. They will lose money in bad years, but typically less than funds that invest purely in stocks. The better balanced funds come close to the performance of the stock market as a whole with less volatility. Some balanced funds, such as T. Rowe Price Capital Appreciation, have actually outperformed the large company stock market with less volatility.

I wouldn't put an annuity inside an IRA. Sounds like a rip-off.

"Brokerage investments" is a very vague term. I don't even know what you mean by it.

Some good balanced mutual funds that you could buy and hold for decades would be:

--Vanguard Wellington: www.vanguard.com

--T. Rowe Price Capital Appreciation: T. Rowe Price - Corporate Home

--Mairs and Power Balanced: Mairs and Power, Inc.

Pick one of the 3 above funds. Add money to it regularly. Hold it for decades. Assuming our economy doesn't totally go down the toilet (which, unfortunately, is a very real possibility...but nothing you can do about it if it does), you will very likely do pretty well with any of these 3 funds above.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:16 PM

79 posts, read 103,589 times
Gold ETF (ticker GLD).

This is always a solid investment choice, as it hedges many other investments you may have.

Old 02-28-2013, 01:16 PM

30,856 posts, read 36,754,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalPete View Post
Gold ETF (ticker GLD).

This is always a solid investment choice, as it hedges many other investments you may have.
Gold is very volatile and shold only be only a small portion of an investment portfolio. It's not a good first investment.

Old 02-28-2013, 05:32 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,862,358 times
Mutual fund or ETF that pays dividends, dividends and dividends.

Old 03-01-2013, 02:47 AM

105,720 posts, read 107,700,939 times
buy ones that go up, who cares if the total return consists of dividends or all capital appreciation. total return is total return no matter how it is made up.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:44 PM

5,342 posts, read 6,133,777 times
I'd say an ETF like ticker SPY. Very low fee and tracks the S&P 500. That for US investments and ticker BIK for BRIC investments. Cheapest way to go and very few mutual funds beat the S&P and almost none do once you take the yearly fees out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance