Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 11:11 AM

1,116 posts, read 2,963,324 times

Advertisements

I just got one of those pre-approved credit offers in the mail. Normally I just chuck them out, but I'm glad I opened this one up.

It had a CHECK inside! Apparently you endorse the check, deposit it, and the $1200 loan goes straight to your account. At a 33% interest rate.

What are these people thinking?! I live in an apartment, and although I'm careful to make sure I change my address when I move, mistakes happen. What if I had just thrown it out and not ripped it into teensy tiny pieces like I did? Someone would have had $1200 bucks, and I'd have almost $1600 worth of debt in my name!

What is wrong with people?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2009, 06:54 PM

23,552 posts, read 12,517,887 times
Chances are good that the check came from a creditor that you currently have, or had, been doing business with.
You might consider opting out with that creditor to avoid seeing those offers in the future.

You can do a full opt out which will stop any creditor from sending any type of offer. Though, if you do like to receive other types of offers from creditors you might consider not doing the full opt out.
If you are considering it, Google FTC Opt Out and read the info on it.

You would have rights if someone had stolen and cashed that check. You would have to look at your own states statutes along with the federal statutes.
Google Unsolicited Loan Consumer Protection Act and read.
You might also read the TILA (Truth in Lending Act).

It is a shame that they haven't outright banned the practice of sending unsolicited loan checks, like they had with sending unsolicited credit cards.

Old 07-04-2009, 07:05 PM

1,802 posts, read 8,162,103 times
You are so right. I've gotten these in the past, too. I worry because my mail carrier seems to have a problem getting everyone's mail in the correct box. I've often had mail in my slot that belongs to my neighbors, so I know they have sometimes gotten mine.

Old 07-05-2009, 11:50 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,526,360 times
I never throw out mail addressed to me, I put it through my shredder unless it is actually something I want or need.

Old 07-05-2009, 02:30 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
To get to the first question'because there are alot of crooked people and means to do it. The secondis because my people just don't read and thnik. Look at the housing loans many took out.

Old 07-05-2009, 05:08 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,053,112 times
Most identity theft is from people who know each other where there is abuse of trust. The biggest losses are from those who steal strangers and pump the heck out of it. Those stupid things don't help anyone save the rare person who uses it and generate more money for the CC company and should be stopped, but not the biggest reason for identity theft.

Honestly I think the punishment for it is entirely too lenient and promotes the abuse, but that's just my own opinion.

Old 07-06-2009, 01:01 AM

314 posts, read 935,840 times
Identity theft is so rampant especially with the recession and all. I had a co-worker tell me that her friend went to buy a car and she was denied because her credit report had so much crap that wasnt hers on it and it took her years to clear it all up.

Old 07-06-2009, 01:00 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,653,116 times
Speaking of identity theft. Over the weekend there was a man on the news who got an extortion note......oops sorry I mean a ticket in the mail for going through a red light camera. So he decided to contest it by writing in a request for a list of other so called violaters.

Much to his surprise the list came. It had every name of every summons issued............and it had the persons Social Security # as well as checking acct #s with routing #s. Thousands of them!!!!!!

Nothing is safe anymore. I been a victim of idenitity theft but it was the bank who gave my money away and refused compensation.

I thought those stupid letters offering free loans and credit cards have stopped.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:37 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,673,901 times
When I moved permanently to Colorado for a while in 2004, I needed to open a local checking acct which I did and decided to get a visa debit card for convenience. They said it would be coming in the mail soon. Fine. Time passed. I was busy working. Debit card never arrives in the mail. Call the bank, they sent it out but I haven't gotten it. An hour later the fraud dept. calls, someone is using the card. I ask how that could be since you have to activate the card from your home phone. Turns out this dumbass bank was sending it's debit cards out ALREADY ACTIVATED! The person could not use the atm because they did not have my pin, but were using it over the phone as a credit card.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:24 PM

23,552 posts, read 12,517,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
When I moved permanently to Colorado for a while in 2004, I needed to open a local checking acct which I did and decided to get a visa debit card for convenience. They said it would be coming in the mail soon. Fine. Time passed. I was busy working. Debit card never arrives in the mail. Call the bank, they sent it out but I haven't gotten it. An hour later the fraud dept. calls, someone is using the card. I ask how that could be since you have to activate the card from your home phone. Turns out this dumbass bank was sending it's debit cards out ALREADY ACTIVATED! The person could not use the atm because they did not have my pin, but were using it over the phone as a credit card.

I hope that bank is going to cover any charges made from the theft and any overdrafts those charges may have created.

Debit cards suck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance