Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 11:25 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Sheesh, BofA is the worst of the worst!
I judge by personal experience, not what other people say, and my experience with BofA has been very good. My account has been with various banks that merged and were acquired on the way to finally being part of BofA. Since the early part of the decade my account has been with BofA, and I have had absolutely no problems.

The few times I've had an issue with a charge on a debit or credit card, or one time when the ATM gave us less than we requested and we called to file a claim, they have been professional, courteous, and they got the job done with no problem.

I pay absolutely NOTHING for any of this service....I keep more than the minimum balance in my savings account and there is no fee for any other account. They're really taking advantage of me, huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2009, 11:30 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times
Quote:
No, dude, I never said we don't use cash. We just don't run to an ATM every day to get 20 bucks. Our ATM is the special drawer....the wife or kids need cash, they grab what they need.

If our stash is ever stolen in a burglury....no big deal...for us, the convenience far outweighs the miniscule risk...
Like totally dude. Do whatever you want, it makes no differnce to me, but keeping $10K in a drawer in your house is a bit strange, don't you think? Obviously you don't.

Old 09-19-2009, 11:31 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,681,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
I'm looking at a change of jobs (and cities) in the near future. In the town where I'll be working, a credit union looks like the most convienient financial establishment as far as location, hours, etc.

Not having any experience with this type institution, does it have any advantages/disadvantages versus a typical bank? I'll probably be direct depositing my pay.
Credit Unions will always have the edge on banks for one simple reason.....The customers own the place!!!

That's right members of a CU are voting members that together own that Credit Union. The only profit motive they have is to make money to loan to other members and pay the help.

Old 09-19-2009, 12:22 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,537,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Like totally dude. Do whatever you want, it makes no differnce to me, but keeping $10K in a drawer in your house is a bit strange, don't you think? Obviously you don't.
Not strange. I keep 5-10k at a certain location in my house. Many of my friends do it also. I suspect there are quite a few people that do, but won't admit it. I, too, don't use ATMs. Don't feel the need to run by one just to get $20 bucks.

Old 09-19-2009, 12:29 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,675,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
I judge by personal experience, not what other people say, and my experience with BofA has been very good. My account has been with various banks that merged and were acquired on the way to finally being part of BofA. Since the early part of the decade my account has been with BofA, and I have had absolutely no problems.

The few times I've had an issue with a charge on a debit or credit card, or one time when the ATM gave us less than we requested and we called to file a claim, they have been professional, courteous, and they got the job done with no problem.

I pay absolutely NOTHING for any of this service....I keep more than the minimum balance in my savings account and there is no fee for any other account. They're really taking advantage of me, huh?

Yes, that's how I came to be a BofA customer....through mergers with other banks I dealt with.

I had zero trouble with BofA myself for years...heck, I used to recommend them to people. But all of a sudden the card payment trouble started. Other silly stuff that happened was the time they refused to take my drivers license for ID. The problem was that I had just renewed it and it was "less than 3 months old". Well duh, doesn't everybody have to renew their drivers license? In my State, DMV takes your old one....so what's a customer supposed to do for 3 months? Carry your passport around is what! I had over 100K in various accounts there and they sent me home for my passport!

My trouble with the BofA coincided with them becoming a ward of the US Government. Personally, I think they lost all incentive to care about the little guy. Why should they? They're "too big to fail" and can just run to Uncle Sam the next time they get in a bind....they don't need me or my lousy 100K.

But, I hope your luck holds with them!

Old 09-19-2009, 01:45 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,435,320 times
Quote:
Sheesh, BofA is the worst of the worst!

I had a checking account and a credit card with them. For years, I mailed payment (in full) on that credit card the very day I received the statement, or at the latest, the next day. Then a few months ago, they claimed they didn't receive my payment. Of course, I couldn't prove I mailed payment, so I ate a $39 late fee, a $30 stop payment fee on the original check, and another $40 in interest (I never pay interest!)....as well as took a ding on my credit report. I figured it was a fluke and did nothing until the same thing happened again a few months later! Needless to say, I severed all dealings with BofA at that point.

And you stick CASH in one of their ATMs??? You got to be crazy!
I'm not a fan of BofA, but ...

Why are you blaming them, when it was probably the Post Office? (My Post Office routinely lost 4 to 5 utility bills a year, so I signed up for paperless billing)

And why are you still mailing checks? Why not go online and instruct them to pay out of your checking account?

Just wondering!

Old 09-19-2009, 04:05 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
For normal banking functions there is little difference.

Old 09-19-2009, 04:10 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,675,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
I'm not a fan of BofA, but ...

Why are you blaming them, when it was probably the Post Office?...

Well, that's what everybody says...."Post Office did it"....but I'm suspicious.

After 35+ years of mailing checks, I've never even once had one get lost. Then two are lost within a year....to the same payee? Then you read of all the tricks credit card companies are pulling in advance of the new law going into effect. I'm a convenience user of credit cards, in that I always pay in full every month, something that to the bankers, is only slightly better than someone who doesn't pay at all. So, would BofA throw my payment in the trash in order to collect a late fee and some interest? I honestly don't know, but I would not bet my life that they wouldn't.

About online banking, I wouldn't ever try that again after the nightmares I went through when an account at another institution was compromised. I do a lot of direct debits, like utility bills, but on a few accounts that I may potentially need to contest charges, etc....I mail a check.

Old 09-19-2009, 04:11 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
Not strange. I keep 5-10k at a certain location in my house. Many of my friends do it also. I suspect there are quite a few people that do, but won't admit it. I, too, don't use ATMs. Don't feel the need to run by one just to get $20 bucks.
I have a stash of cash as well. Made it a bit bigger than normal though over the past 2 years given the state of the economy. I have also moved to keeping smaller denominations as well...just in case.

Old 09-19-2009, 05:00 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
I love my credit union. They called me earlier today, and told me that there was possible unauthorized activity on my debit/Mastercard, and they wanted to verify it with me. It turned out to be a fraud attempt in the amount of $32.30 from Japan. They said that it was blocked, and didn't go through my account. So they canceled the card, and I'll go into the credit union Monday morning and they'll print me another one on the spot.

Now how's that for service? You wouldn't get that from a large commerical bank! They'd probably let it go through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance