Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 02:35 PM

33 posts, read 106,763 times

Advertisements

The recession has hit some of us. I got laid off 2 years ago hence rely on part time temporal jobs to make ends meet. I'm back on my rent by 6 months, can't afford to pay all my credit cards and personal loans but i would get you into all my troubles.

Discover card sued and won. Now Discover card/ bank is going after my Rollover IRA and Roth IRA. My bank account was overdraft and I haven't been keeping money in the bank since I lost my job. I have no assets is that the reason why they are going after my retirement account?

Of all the debtors only Discover card is refusing to acknowledge I am unemployed and the only 1 to sue me. I still receive solicitations from other debtors 2 see if my situation has improved.

I'm dreaming......"What in heavens name is happening in America!!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 03:10 PM

51 posts, read 110,519 times
Please read.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/02/bu.../02CREDIT.html

Old 10-12-2009, 05:09 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,921,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridachic View Post
Well done for posting this article. Very interesting reading.

Old 10-12-2009, 05:15 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,289,364 times
Damn those credit card companies.

Who do they think they are, going after the money that they lent you. How unfair. I think you're right in letting everyone else pay for your poor decisions.

Old 10-12-2009, 05:34 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,517,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post

Who do they think they are, going after the money that they lent you. How unfair. I think you're right in letting everyone else pay for your poor decisions.

The OP losing his job was not a poor decision. I don't know of ANYONE who wants to be jobless and struggling as so many are right now. He hasn't asked anyone to foot a bill for him. But this person has worked very hard I am sure and just because poor choices by corporate america and this nation have put him/her where they are right now does not give carte blanche for the banks to attach to anything one has. They are the ones who should pay for their poor business practices.

This is a sad place in which this country and it's citizens are in right now and I hope that you don't ever find yourself in those shoes, you might get hurt if you fall off of your pedestal.

Old 10-12-2009, 05:59 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,471,504 times
Quote:

Wow, that's not cool at all. You don't know the exact details here. You stand one lost job, or one catastrophic illness away from the OP. We all do. And if you think any credit card company or hospital will cut you any slack or offer a payment plan, you are very mistaken.

Old 10-12-2009, 06:09 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
It depends on whixch state you live in. That is why OJ is in florida to gaurd his NFL pension.Might should ahve prepared for this by seeking a lawyers advise which is what OJ did.

Old 10-12-2009, 06:49 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,190,154 times
I have no creditors after me.

However, I am one of the few who get my SS check in the mail.

In case something catastrophic should happen, no oone can put a hold on my SS check.

If you have direct deposit, they can put a hold on your bank account.

Old 10-12-2009, 07:01 PM

1,275 posts, read 3,415,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
The OP losing his job was not a poor decision. I don't know of ANYONE who wants to be jobless and struggling as so many are right now. He hasn't asked anyone to foot a bill for him. But this person has worked very hard I am sure and just because poor choices by corporate america and this nation have put him/her where they are right now does not give carte blanche for the banks to attach to anything one has. They are the ones who should pay for their poor business practices.

This is a sad place in which this country and it's citizens are in right now and I hope that you don't ever find yourself in those shoes, you might get hurt if you fall off of your pedestal.
+1000 I hope the poster who felt the need to feel to feel superior never loses a job or gets sick. No one is immune to that.

Old 10-12-2009, 07:08 PM

282 posts, read 526,194 times
Quote:

Hey Mikey likes it, do you feel like a big tough man when you act like a sarcastic a hole behind your keyboard? Just a question??? I do notice there are a lot of people like you here on city data~~and I do wonder...are you like that in real life also?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance