Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2009, 11:06 PM

5 posts, read 22,933 times

Advertisements

I am unemployed. Well actually I make a few dollars as a contract worker. I have a pretty decent chance of getting my old also contract job back in the near future. Unfortunately before that happens I am seriously running out of money. So much so I will be totally broke very soon. I have a lot of equity in my home and it is just sitting out there. I bought my home 2 years ago for $241,000 with $160,00 down. I am kicking myself everyday for having put so much down. I could be using some of that money now. I was told my home is worth $226,000 today (by my bank.) I owe $78,000 and change on my existing mortgage.

I went to my bank and contacted another and they say there is no way I can get a no doc loan since the new regulations went through and of course I have no income for the loan. Is there anything I can do in this situation? Is there anyone out there who can give me a loan or a line of credit or anything based upon the equity I have in the home and nothing more? I would be putting up the home as collateral and there is no way the value of the home would ever drop to under what I have in it.

Anybody have anything out there for me? The home is located in North Carolina.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 11:44 PM

3 posts, read 12,670 times
I am in this exact same situation. Have you tried renting out a room or two? I was told by a lender this week that rental of a room to a possible family member can be considered as income towards re-fi/cash-out.

Old 10-22-2009, 12:17 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,087,251 times
Sell the house, a lender has no idea if your a job will materialize in your future or not.

Old 10-22-2009, 05:44 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
I basically have to agree with the suggestion that you may need to consider selling the property.

The funny thing is that had you opened up a HELOC back when you were working that might have been a way to keep things together a little longer, though of course there are LOTS of people that decided to tap their HELOCs for things that were far from essential / not likely to increase the marketability of the home. Those folks are technically in a WORSE situation that you, as it at sounds like you are could short sell for just a modest loss and if things pick up just a about 10% (which is not impossible if there things you can DIY to improve the property) you might actually be in the black...

Old 10-22-2009, 08:44 PM

328 posts, read 886,277 times
I am sorry about your situation. Unfortunately, obtaining a loan without a job is not going to happen. I would try to get roommates.

I recommend to all employed homeowners with 20% of equity to get a home equity line of credit. It does not cost anything and it can help during difficult times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance