Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2010, 03:57 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,500,053 times

Advertisements

When are social security benefits taxable? (We are newly receiving social security benefits this year.)

BIGGER QUESTION - HOW DO YOU FIGURE OUT THE TAX?

This is what I found:

Income Tax on Social Security Benefits.

The Basic Rule. Up to 50% of Social Security benefits are taxable if total “provisional income” (adjusted gross income, tax-exempt interest and one half of Social Security benefits) exceeds a base amount: $25,000 for single taxpayers and $32,000 for married taxpayers filing jointly. At this level, taxes are payable on the lesser of (1) 50% of Social Security benefits received, or (2) one half of the difference between provisional income and the applicable base amount.

The Second Tier. A second tier of income tax - reaching up to 85% of Social Security benefits received - kicks in (1) for single taxpayers with provisional income over $34,000, (2) for married taxpayers filing jointly with provisional income over $44,000, and (3) for all married taxpayers who file separate returns, but do not live apart.
http://www.nosscr.org/1pixel.gif (broken link)
For these second-tier categories, income taxes are payable on the lesser of (A) 85% of Social Security benefits or (B) the total of (1) 85% of the difference between provisional income and the applicable adjusted base amount ($34,000/$44,000), plus (2) the lesser of (a) half the benefits or (b) $4,500 (for singles / $6,000 (for married couples filing jointly). The adjusted base amount for married persons filing separately but living together is zero; taxes are payable on the lesser of 85% of benefits or 85% of provisional income.
------------------------------------
How do I translate that? (Do we need tax reform? - Dah! Another topic!!)

One makes about $46,000 per year and one receives $1,337 monthly social security starting in May. (H/W filing how ever is best.)

Wizards - How much Soc Sec will be taxable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2010, 08:22 PM

1,534 posts, read 4,259,925 times
Your 1040 package includes a worksheet for this purpose. I've used it previously with no problems.

Old 03-27-2010, 09:04 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Do the social security worksheet on page 29 .

Old 03-28-2010, 12:13 PM

Default Thank you

Thank you!! (Really!!)

I did try the worksheet on page 29, however, it says put the number (from 1040 line so/so) on line so/so of pg 29, and the number form line so/so on this line -- and I didn't want to go figure out what those lines were (look in another form / instructions that says put this number on line so/so if it's less/greater than so/so or look at the worksheet on page so/so) ------- but I just thought -- I can look at my 2009 1040 lines so/so's to kind of figure out what those numbers are for lines on page 29!!

I will tell you one thing for CERTAIN -- there is JUST NO WAY our tax calculus system could be any more complex!!!! (Evidence -- that so many of us have to hire experts and pay serious money to have it figured out!!)

THANKS AGAIN!!

Old 03-28-2010, 12:26 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,427,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelva View Post
Thank you!! (Really!!)

I did try the worksheet on page 29, however, it says put the number (from 1040 line so/so) on line so/so of pg 29, and the number form line so/so on this line -- and I didn't want to go figure out what those lines were (look in another form / instructions that says put this number on line so/so if it's less/greater than so/so or look at the worksheet on page so/so) ------- but I just thought -- I can look at my 2009 1040 lines so/so's to kind of figure out what those numbers are for lines on page 29!!

I will tell you one thing for CERTAIN -- there is JUST NO WAY our tax calculus system could be any more complex!!!! (Evidence -- that so many of us have to hire experts and pay serious money to have it figured out!!)

THANKS AGAIN!!
::: chortling :::

I'm sorry, I shouldn't be laughing, but that all sounds so familiar and true (line so/so, another form/instructions, line so/so, less/greater, line so/so).

Get TurboTax. That's what I had to do because of my Mom's finances. TT should walk you right thru it. (Or try the online version, I've never used that one)

Old 03-28-2010, 09:35 PM

If you can't use it then i suggest that you have your taxes prepared. With the tax laws this follow the numbers is as simple as it gets really.

Old 03-29-2010, 01:22 AM

Thanks Texdav -- I always have my taxes prepared..... it's that I want to have the TAXES PAID for the year too, so I need to project or plan somehow.... so see my earlier post.... I think I can now use the page 29 thing.... and keep my rabbit's foot on my person all this first year!! :-D

Old 03-29-2010, 08:30 PM

Yepand just when you thnik you have it figured out they will change it.Of course if your the secretray of the treasury they let you off with no problem;claiming you were not aware it wasn't paid.I see alot of people that are compalining their not get as much of a return this year.duh;Obama changed the withholding tables to get people to spend it.Just when you have things figured out government wil change thi.ngs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance