Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2010, 01:56 PM

845 posts, read 2,744,524 times

Advertisements

I had an issue 6 years ago with my apartment rental company. Long before my lease had ended I had informed them that I was moving out of the state. I visited the leasing office and handed whoever was on duty my written notice that I was not renewing my lease. Well a month after my lease ended I received a bill from them asking me to pay 2 months rent as a penalty for not informing them that I was leaving. I contested this bill and told them that I dropped my notice off in the office and I was not paying $1500 for a clerical error on their part.

After I sent them my letter contesting the bill I never heard from them again until now, 6 years later. I recently started getting collection calls about this bill even though it doesn't show up on my credit report. I wonder what I should do about this, should I just ignore the collection calls?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2010, 03:17 PM

11,556 posts, read 53,204,055 times
Unfortunately, "ignoring" collection calls can lead to adverse consequences for your credit rating, if not a judgement against you which may be aggressively pursued.

Your best course is to get back to the collection agency and let them show you what they have as a basis of collection. If they're acting as agents for the old landlord, then you have a very contestable dispute, should it go to court ... your word against theirs that you'd given proper written notice. If, however, they bought the account (usually for pennies on the dollar), then it's a lot tougher for them to prove what happened so many years ago, and to get a judgement against you. But you need to stay in communication with them so that you know if they're going to court ... and for $1,500, they most likely will ... so you need to stay on top of the situation so there's no miscommunication about what they're doing.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:32 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,930,915 times
I think the OP's experience underlines the importance of obtaining proof that a written communication was delivered.

When I moved to AZ from NY, I sent back my NY plates by certified mail. NY then pretended that they had never received them. I told them I had sent it by certified mail and that I had proof it was delivered. They then tried to tell me it was my problem. So, I asked them who they though the judge would believe. Never heard from them again

Old 05-14-2010, 01:45 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,078,885 times
They have 5 business days to send you a dunning letter, telling you what the debt is for and explaining your rights to dispute the debt, known as "requesting validation"

If they don't send this letter, or don't send it within 5 days of initial contact, you have an FDCPA violation. When you receive the letter (or even if you don't receive it say, 15-20 days after the call) you should send this collection agency a certified letter with return receipt demanding that they provide validation of the debt. By law, they must stop collection activity immediately upon receiving a demand for validation letter provided it is timely.

There is more, but it's late, my foot is killing me after having a box dropped on it and I can barely stay awake, so I'll have to add more later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance