U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2010, 02:17 PM

58 posts, read 320,919 times

Advertisements

We filed my son's federal taxes using Turbo Tax. Given the options of how to get his refund we chose their debit card since it looked like the easiest option. The card arrived in early April, but the refund still isn't on it.

I checked the IRS.gov "where's my refund" site and after entering all the information I just got a message that they can't give any info about that tax return.

Any thoughts on this? Is there a chance that Turbo Tax messed up and didn't really file it? I have a confirmation email saying that it was received.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 12:39 PM

732 posts, read 2,878,065 times
Call the IRS and ask. It's possible that something was miscalculated on their end. Or, it's possible that the refund has been held up due to default on a student loan, but you would have received a notice about that. You'll never e able to find out unless you call. Just have all your data ready, including the DCN (declaration control number) that is your proof of electronic filing.

Old 06-08-2010, 06:31 PM

3,996 posts, read 10,778,449 times
Call and have your son there if he is an adult, since they cannot discuss with anyone else withoutdisclosure authorization. If a minor child is involved, be prepared to explain with date of birth and have a copy of the return at hand.

They can go over the return (it will be available online for them), confirm the amount of refund, and discuss the issues with the debit card. Or they can write up the problem and forward to the appropriate unit.

Old 06-08-2010, 06:39 PM

3,996 posts, read 10,778,449 times
Reread the question. The debit card is from Turbo Tax or whoever they are associated with since the IRS does not in any way issue debit cards. (I worked for the IRS 31 years and should know.) Contact the IRS for basic refund info to verify the issuance amount and date of the refund. They will NOT be able to help you get the money from Turbo Tax. You will need the date and amount to go further. You can do this online I think. Go to Internal Revenue Service and Where is my Refund? on the front page.

Then, if there is a missing refund, contact Turbo Tax or whoever is involved with this "debit card". They need to help get you the missing money/fix the card. If the money was transferred by the IRS to the designated account, the IRS is OUT OF IT.

Good Luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance