Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2007, 09:37 AM

2,489 posts, read 8,177,255 times

Advertisements

Hi - Not sure if this should go under pets or house, but figured I'd start with pets - We have a Catahoula who made her first acquaintance with a skunk last night.....We "de-perfumed" her last night with a lovely tomato juice bath and she's not quite as pungent as she was, but still carries some of the scent...as do parts of the house.

Anyone have any other ideas to "de-perfume" her and areas of the house? We used "Nature's Miracle" on the furniture and carpet, which seemed to work well last night, but this morning the smell is still quite noticeable. Is it just a wait and time will take care of it type of thing, or is there something else we can use on both her and the furniture/carpet?

Crazy dog seems to enjoy the perfume and doesn't seem to understand why we don't!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2007, 09:58 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,409,197 times
Open all the windows and leave em open. I got the same smell when i minced one with my car, man its disgusting.

Old 06-22-2007, 10:21 AM

Hi Brian - we have them open and we have ceiling fans on and window fans, but nothing is helping much. The smell is getting less, but it's still pretty gross....this was a pretty potent little critter! I had another dog with a penchant for skunk perfume, but I don't remember it being this bad, either on her or the house....of course I could have just erased it from my memory, too <g>. I've "gotten" a skunk with my car, too, and that's no fun either! Thank you for the suggestion, though!

Old 06-22-2007, 10:59 AM

284 posts, read 1,681,604 times
Did you see Episode 16 of MythBusters about skunk cleaning? Wikipedia has the results of the episode and a link to the skunk article that has the recipe for the mixture that supposedly works best. You might check the commercial products to see if any are safe for household items. You can also Google "Krebaum Skunk Eliminator" for the recipe that they seem to be talking about in the episode and on Wikipedia.

Old 06-22-2007, 11:31 AM

Hello Scholar - Thanks for the suggestion - I'll google the Krebaum Skunk Eliminator and see what it has to say....I didn't see the episode on MythBusters, although someone did tell me about it.......At this point I'll give anything a try, as long as it's safe. The house seems to be much better...our dog, however, still stinks!

Old 06-22-2007, 02:18 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,681,129 times
I read in another thread (real estate/house forum I think) that simmering some Vinnegar in a pan is great for helping eliminate long-time cigarette smell build-up, so you never know :>) Maybe if you simmer it real long?? Just an idea for the meantime :>) Good luck!!

Old 06-22-2007, 02:26 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,349,004 times
In a large bucket, mix 1 quart of hydrogen peroxide (the brown bottle you find at the grocery), 1/4 cup of baking soda, and 2 tablespoons of dishwashing liquid like Dawn. Wash your dog down with this mixture, keeping it out of your dog's eyes. Then rinse very well with cool, not cold or hot, water. Make sure your dog is rinsed well or the peroxide will burn. Do this outside.

Old 06-22-2007, 05:39 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone - our dog and house seem to be skunk odor free at the present time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets