Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 05:33 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,056,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by school bus drivers View Post
If a school bus driver is picking up children in your dog friendly neighborhood and he sees you outside with your pet who is crossing the road to return home...the driver accellerates to hit the animal...what charges can the pet owner take?

As a cdl holder, the driver should be reported. If the bus driver intentionally hits the animal, h/she should be charged with a preventable accident and receive points affecting CSA.
RIGHT? And,
Should driver also be subject to lawsuit?
Is this for real??? Sounds very bizarre and not believable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 08:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,451 times
On the way to work this morning I was driving and there was a black swan on the road, its was wet and i didnt put my brakes on hard enough it went to the left and went under the tire, i couldnt stop as i was in traffic on a highway and i feel really bad, i dont know what to do, they are on the endangered list, i would really appreciate sum help, it looked dead in the rear view mirror.

Old 07-30-2014, 12:55 PM

4,965 posts, read 5,686,527 times
Don't think I've ever run over an animal. I ran over this drunk hominid creature wearing a beanie a few years back... having given it a good few warnings with my horn - it did not get off the road and continued to go infront of my car. It apparently got up and walked off afterwards though.

Old 08-08-2014, 09:23 AM

1,174 posts, read 2,512,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop1920 View Post
On the way to work this morning I was driving and there was a black swan on the road, its was wet and i didnt put my brakes on hard enough it went to the left and went under the tire, i couldnt stop as i was in traffic on a highway and i feel really bad, i dont know what to do, they are on the endangered list, i would really appreciate sum help, it looked dead in the rear view mirror.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXOwNOf2QXY

Old 08-12-2014, 12:01 AM

1,965 posts, read 3,307,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Is this for real??? Sounds very bizarre and not believable.
ANother money grubbing scam..

Old 09-11-2014, 12:34 PM

33 posts, read 75,493 times
depends. i saw a rabbit that got skinned when it got run over by the car in front of me and was wailing alll over the road. i was not going to allow him to suffer...at the time i was 18years old. i was bawling my eyes out at the time when i saw it. i had to hit it 2x in my astro van to put him out of misery. he was putting up a fight, but he was skinned to his muscle...so i wasnt going to allow him to suffer any longer.

if you cant put an obviously severely injured animal out of misery by yourself, you are not only causing great suffering to the animal waiting for "help" (who are going to shoot the animal or wait until it dies by itself...which is AWFUL, because lets be honest, no one is going to take the time to save a squirrel unless it poops gold) but should feel ashamed you can not put a selfless animal out of its worst moment.

Old 09-13-2014, 04:15 PM

289 posts, read 504,454 times
hmcruz, I'm with one that one. On a country road once, the person in front of my ran over a raccoon, and coming up on it I could see it was still alive and wriggling around, but would never make it with its injuries- not even if wildlife rescue could come out and get it (which they wouldn't have anyway)- so I ran it over to put it down quickly. It hurt me a lot to do that, but I looked back in my mirror and saw it stopped moving and knew that was better than leaving it to suffer.

Another time I ran over someone's pet dog. The poor thing ran right out in front of me and even though I cranked my car into the oncoming lane to avoid it (thankfully no cars coming), it kept running and got rolled. I thought the decent thing to do would be to stop and check on it. The owner came over and saw the dog was dead, agreed that it was a good thing it didn't survive with the extent of its injuries, and she thanked me for stopping to check instead of just driving off. It made me feel a little better that the dog's owner didn't think I was a monster, at least.

Old 09-15-2014, 09:42 PM

33 posts, read 75,493 times
That's life though. To me, the well being of any animal important. It is a very selfless act to put it out of misery. Me being a very big animal lover and to run over an injured animal at 18 years old should show that anyone that is in the situation should be able to do it. But for some reason, people are not in touch with reality and think everything is cupcakes and rainbows. My husband read through the thread and we both agreed that people like to live in a pretend world. We guess it is because they are just afraid of truth.
There was a time though that I really regret not stopping. It was on the freeway and there was a deer that was on its side flipping all around the highway. I wanted to pull over and just shoot it. I was worried about all the traffic, it being dark, how was I going to pull this heavy deer to the side of a 4 lane and shoot it in the city. But looking back, I will never let that happen again. I dont care what the circumstances are. It comes up in my mind every once in a while and I absolutely regret not doing anything for the poor thing.

Old 09-15-2014, 10:02 PM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
I hate seeing animals hit.

But one time I was with my sister and her husband. My sister was driving. All of a sudden she yelled and I heard a thump and felt something hit under my feet. It was a cat that had been walking in the street and she hit it. She pulled over and we got out and it was lying in the middle of the road but not squished or anything, and she didn't want more cars to run over it so she made her husband go get it. She was crying and hugely pregnant and felt so bad. He picked it up by its tail and brought it to the side of the road and threw it on a pile of snow.

And as soon as the damned thing hit the snow, it jumped up on its feet, shook its head a few times, then walked off the snow pile onto the sidewalk and disappeared around the corner. We were shocked but so relieved.

Old 10-08-2014, 06:46 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times
I stop and check on anything I hit except for black and white cats.

Why not those? I hit one once, didn't injure it that badly as I thought. Also discovered that it was a skunk not a cat. And it was angry....very very angry.

I did hit a squirrel once and went around the block to finish it off. It was just flopping around in agony, no way I was going to leave it to die slowly. It would have been inhumane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets