Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 05:20 AM

45 posts, read 147,487 times

Advertisements

I was just curious as to how many NO KILL animals shelters are around? I am from central Wisconsin and we finally have one. In fact I volunteer at at.It is an eye opening experience.This is why I believe in mandatory spay/neuter.Come see all the unwanted puppies and kittens.(not to mention good pets that owners gave up for some stupid reason)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2007, 10:15 AM

1,587 posts, read 7,525,776 times
Rusk County in Wisconsin just became no kill think Barron is also..Hoping someday get this house sold start my own boarding kennel/no kill shelter for overflow from the local pound.

Old 07-01-2007, 10:47 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,406,757 times
I got my Great Pyrenese at a no kill in Dalhart TX

Old 07-01-2007, 12:02 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,288,552 times
One of our local No Kill shelters got closed down last year..That is why I too am for manatory spay nutering. Also a local no kill cattery just got put out of business. Between the 2 that is 200+ animals!!

Old 07-02-2007, 09:46 AM

36 posts, read 206,550 times
I am in Vermont and as far as I know we don't have any kill shelters. The closest I know of is Hartford CT. That is why so many people are trying to ship dogs up this way to keep them alive.

Old 07-02-2007, 10:53 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,231,607 times
Englewood, FL has a beautiful no-kill shelter. Shadow came from there as a puppy. Whenever I get old blankets or towels I take them to the shelter. They are always grateful to have them. I also always take Shadow with me so that they can see a sassy, well adjusted, healthy dog alumni.

Old 07-02-2007, 05:12 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,268,930 times
I'll take my tongue lashing - but there is a reason for kill shelters. Unfortunately, it's first in and first out, and therein lies the tragedy....that the dogs that COULD be re-homed are put to sleep all too soon, but it's an equal opportunity facility. I just can't agree with that, but I have a rescue dog that was hypothermic, had horrible heartworms, was absolute skin and bones, and had been used as a breeding machine - and I got her from a vet who was supposed to fix her up so she could be sent back to the shelter for her 3 days and then put down. Crazy. In all fairness, she would have taken a slot that a better "pet" should have had and to wait on an adoption, because this girl (even though she's a heart dog for me) will never get past the snakes in her head that her previous owners put there - she's scared of her own shadow.

There will always be the need for kill shelters until we as a society take spaying and neutering seriously....and you have to consider the number of dogs that simply quit being able to adapt after sitting in a kennel for weeks or months on end - I hate that there have to be kill shelters, but what in the world would we do with all of the animals that are strays that are picked up now that people don't take care of and don't want? Besides animal overpopulation, cities and counties would go broke trying to feed them all and hire help to take care of them, and they still may never find a home because of the puppymills and backyard breeders that are selling animals on a regular basis. It's sickening, but until we take responsibility for our actions and start supporting our animal control facilities so that they can consider even being no-kill for the best of the best, it will have to be the way it is. Very, very sad.

Old 07-04-2007, 09:34 PM

355 posts, read 2,402,796 times
I got my cat from Operation Kindness in North Texas, a very nice no-kill animal shelter. He has been the sunshine of my life ever since.

Old 04-10-2009, 04:55 PM

1 posts, read 5,123 times
I have a cat that doesnt use the litter box but I dont think she deserves to die. So i am looking for a no-kill around my area so I can take her there. Its like breaking a piece of my heart off but its the only thing I can do!

Old 04-10-2009, 05:15 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,146,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post

There will always be the need for kill shelters until we as a society take spaying and neutering seriously.....
I agree with you. There are fates worse than death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets