U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2007, 06:16 AM

351 posts, read 1,035,251 times

Advertisements

We should be able to do better than this.....

newsobserver.com | Euthanasia rules don't appease animal lovers (http://www.newsobserver.com/news/story/640868.html - broken link)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2007, 06:35 AM

402 posts, read 2,161,240 times
I understand the want not to put an animal through that, BUT....

what do you do with the vicious animals? No offense, eastern NC is pit-bull fighting capital....do you want to try and get near a vicious animal to try and sedate it to then get in the euthanasia solution? (this is not against Pits...the article is from Raleigh, I used to live east of there, it would apply to any vicious animal)

Sorry, in this case, the safety and sanity of the human that has the horrid job ranks over how smooth the euthanasia goes for the animal.

(and some of these would be wild animals as well....too much risk!!)

Old 07-18-2007, 07:39 AM

3,412 posts, read 9,873,470 times
This is not about case of vicious animals, no one is arguing about their fate, but HOW the animal dies. Gas chambers are the worst, most unhumane death available to these poor animals. It should be totally eliminated. I just don't understand how anyone can work in place like that, day after day, listening to the screams of these animals while they're dying, my heart wont be able to handle such ways. And it takes a long time before animal actually dies, imagine horror of all of it for poor creatures.
I hate people who can't take care of their animals and giving them no opportunity to live. It's a sad fact of life, but we as humans, should be smarter, but we're totally barberic.

Old 07-18-2007, 07:47 AM

128 posts, read 262,950 times
i completely agree with shepsmom i couldnt have said it any better myself.. its discusting and repulsive.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:00 AM

1,397 posts, read 4,716,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSOM View Post
i completely agree with shepsmom i couldnt have said it any better myself.. its discusting and repulsive.
AGREE!!!It is so sad...

Old 07-18-2007, 02:01 PM

525 posts, read 2,288,158 times
Well, there is ONE more thing worse than a gas chamber.......It is a gas BOX. Yes, you heard, it is a homemade gas chamber, usually using cynder blocks and plywood. Problem is, there is no seal so it takes hours, hours, hours, like 24 sometimes, to finally kill these innocent animals. Ohio was using them a few years ago, I bet my butt the poorest counties in Ohio are using them right now. This is the most horrific situation that I ever have come across.

We have so long to go to get this situation right. I don't think any animals should be killed for space, but I am sadly realistic. Gas Chambers, boxes, heartsticks SHOULD BE AGAINT THE LAW. A bullet is also often used in rural, poor areas, and while that turns my stomach, at least is is faster than the methods listed above. It is often said, a bullet is $0.20, cheepest way to get rid of 'um.

Old 07-18-2007, 02:14 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,708,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vetegnc View Post
(this is not against Pits...the article is from Raleigh, I used to live east of there, it would apply to any vicious animal)

You're right...because APBT are NOT vicious.

Old 07-19-2007, 01:28 PM

3,402 posts, read 13,053,404 times
I was too nervous to start my own thread about this.. but I needed to vent it somewhere... my family had to consent to putting the beagle to sleep last weekend.. (see "Do pets have souls" if you need to) ...and I just wanted to mention, in all of the euthanasia hype I've been hearing, the most demoralizing was, when we got the bill, down at the very bottom, was the itemized list of expenses, and right under 'private cremation' was an amount listed for "sympathy".

We were a little boggled by that... sympathy? they're billing us for sympathy?
Do they charge by the hug? We didn't get it, until 2 days later in the mail, we get a "Sympathy" card from the vet clinic, sharing their condolences with us on our loss.

The humane thing to do would at least of been to sign the card ~ they must be a busy clinic. . . . .

Old 07-19-2007, 02:02 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,708,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlekitten View Post
I was too nervous to start my own thread about this.. but I needed to vent it somewhere... my family had to consent to putting the beagle to sleep last weekend.. (see "Do pets have souls" if you need to) ...and I just wanted to mention, in all of the euthanasia hype I've been hearing, the most demoralizing was, when we got the bill, down at the very bottom, was the itemized list of expenses, and right under 'private cremation' was an amount listed for "sympathy".

We were a little boggled by that... sympathy? they're billing us for sympathy?
Do they charge by the hug? We didn't get it, until 2 days later in the mail, we get a "Sympathy" card from the vet clinic, sharing their condolences with us on our loss.

The humane thing to do would at least of been to sign the card ~ they must be a busy clinic. . . . .

I've never heard of charging for "sympathy".
If it were me I'd be giving them a call and asking what that's all about.
It's not too late to ask.
If you want, give me the number and I'd be glad to find out for you...my fee is *free*

Sorry for the lack of sympathy you and you're family seems to have experienced through this. That's terrible.
Not signing the card? How tactless can they get?
It's awful when you're not validated.

I haven't read the other thread you mentioned yet, but I will.
And I hope your family finds a more caring vet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets