Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 07:20 PM

90 posts, read 115,631 times

Advertisements

I hear that some people own large snake species such as reticulated pythons and anacondas, even chimpanzees and bears.

But as these species are aggressive, and can kill humans if need be, do they naturally make good pets? Is a pet essentially an animal that can be tamed and effectively controlled? A mega-snake (so to speak) like an anaconda is an apex predator, is it possible to be tamed? Chimpanzees are essentially mini-humans, they can be very co-operative and altruistic when needs be, but also highly brutal. And bears, well enough said, bears sometimes even stalk and kill humans in forests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2011, 07:10 AM

1,457 posts, read 4,053,490 times
We've already domesticated enough animals, why add more? The more people want, the more accidents/deaths there will be, not to say that the animal will suffer too just being out of their environment.

Old 05-27-2011, 09:11 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightee View Post
I hear that some people own large snake species such as reticulated pythons and anacondas, even chimpanzees and bears.

But as these species are aggressive, and can kill humans if need be, do they naturally make good pets? Is a pet essentially an animal that can be tamed and effectively controlled? A mega-snake (so to speak) like an anaconda is an apex predator, is it possible to be tamed? Chimpanzees are essentially mini-humans, they can be very co-operative and altruistic when needs be, but also highly brutal. And bears, well enough said, bears sometimes even stalk and kill humans in forests.
Well, a dog is essentially a watered-down apex predator and many have all the tools necessary to kill a human.

Old 05-27-2011, 09:19 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,851,089 times
No, not all animals make good pets, the difference is domestication over a huge number of generations...

and in that domestication many traits are bred out, and manipulated to make a companion animal (or a working animal or livestock)
i also feel that in order to make a good "pet" for Most people an animal needs to have a certain amount of need for human companionship...this is why reptiles dont make good pets for a large number of people...becuase they dont NEED humans...

animals more prone to group living that need companionship make much better PETS than animals that live solitary lives...

(not knocking snakes and such, i love them, im just talking about what the majority of people look for in a companion animal)

in many species the line between wild and domestic is very fine...parrots and horses come to mind, it doesnt take much for a horse to revert to a wild nature, and parrots, well im a firm beliver that birds wer never realy domesticated in the first place and instead only accept we meer humans as flock mates because we usually bring the food :P

where as dogs...even after generations of running feral, most do not truly revert to the wolf nature, feral yes, fearfull of humans yes, ect, they do display many behaviours that would be considered "wolf like" but in reality, those dogs never revert back completly, they never de-volve back into wolves...instead most feral pack turns into a medium black and tan medium coated slightly curled tailed folded eared dog that more commonly resembles a dingo than a wolf...

animals like lions and bears...well, many are dangerous simply because the people that try to keep them in a domesticated fashion arnt taking the proper precautions, most deaths by large exotics are not eating...but instead maulings, usually from play gone wrong...
i dont think humans are capable of respecting large exotics like that in a "pet" situation, as a species we tend to associate the word pet with control and also it means the animal must "love" us...
but i dont feel that many animals feel love the way we do and by letting down that guard, you open yourself up for very dangerous situations...

then theres the apes, who in my opinion are a different matter completly, they do not make good pets because they are TOO inteligent, TOO like us...
we forget because we see them acting in such "human" ways that they think just like us and that we can treat them just like we would treat a child...and like with other large exotics, the guard goes down and the danger level goes up...
we also often forget that they are highly complex and prone to agrivation becuase we dont understand what there asking for...

so NO, not all animals make good pets, a good "pet" is typically a domesticated animal of a size managble by a human alone, whihc is also a "group" animal that desires interaction and companionship.

Old 05-27-2011, 11:50 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
What she said!

Old 06-07-2011, 08:05 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightee View Post

But as these species are aggressive, and can kill humans if need be, do they naturally make good pets? Is a pet essentially an animal that can be tamed and effectively controlled? A mega-snake (so to speak) like an anaconda is an apex predator, is it possible to be tamed?
Just an FYI about the "mega-snakes" you mentioned... snakes aren't naturally aggressive, nor do they kill humans unless by accident (or if they're venomous & you put yourself in their face). Common misconception, and unfortunately what leads to people calling me a "freak" or "attention-seeker" for collecting even my smaller snakes. Sure, a 25ft Anaconda has the STRENGTH to kill a human, but these deaths are incredibly rare - and dogs are actually more likely to harm us.

So why do snakes have such a bad rap? I guess for the same reason Pit Bulls have a bad rep, which is a combination of media sensationalism, bad owners, and misinformation about the species. Most snakes are wonderful pets, and one of the largest & most ill-perceived species (Burmese Pythons) is actually the most docile. Burms are fantastic!! And yes, most non-venomous snakes can be tamed, as you'd quickly learn if I introduced you to mine.

Do they make better or worse pets than dogs & cats? Well, I guess it depends on what you're looking for, and what you expect from a pet. I happen to own all three, and they each have something special to offer... the cats/dogs give you that outward love, whereas the reptiles provide you with a unique visual & sensory experience. Anyway, that's my two cents, and I think MANY different types of animals can make good pets. Now bears, on the other hand, are better left in the wild.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:46 PM

Btw, you mentioned that "some people have reticulated pythons," so I thought I'd say that LOTS of people own them! I personally know quite a few retic owners, and I'd get one in a heartbeat if I had the space... burms are the more docile of giants, but retics win the beauty contest hands-down. I'm actually planning to get a super dwarf retic (tops out around 6-7ft vs the usual 18-20ft), in a trade for a pair of spotted pythons I'm currently breeding. My dream, though, is to own a full-sized lavender albino one day...

How gorgeous is this??
http://www.constrictors.com/images/A...pleAlbino2.jpg
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...iISLujj48DiV-i

And here's a normal-colored super dwarf retic, which is what I'd be getting:
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...i4wxQfcNov1PNw

Old 06-08-2011, 07:04 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,851,089 times
those lavender albinos dont look real, what stunning colors, they look like something cgi'd stunning!

i dont think snakes make good "pets" in the normal sense of the word pet, because they dont "need" humans so they dont bond the same way (same reason i dont think sryian hamsters make good "pets"
but COMPANION ANIMALS, snakes, even ginormous ones, in the right hands make wnderfull room mates for someone whos looking for the kind of companionship and understands the mental needs of a snake in a captive situation.

Old 06-08-2011, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
those lavender albinos dont look real, what stunning colors, they look like something cgi'd stunning!
I know, huh? That second picture might be "tweaked" a little (not sure), but the first one is definitely real... I've seen them in person, and they're really that amazing!!

Quote:
i dont think snakes make good "pets" in the normal sense of the word pet, because they dont "need" humans so they dont bond the same way (same reason i dont think sryian hamsters make good "pets"
but COMPANION ANIMALS, snakes, even ginormous ones, in the right hands make wnderfull room mates for someone whos looking for the kind of companionship and understands the mental needs of a snake in a captive situation.
You are correct, and they're clearly not the right pet for everyone... but for those of us who understand & appreciate them, they make awesome pets! It really doesn't get more low-maintenance than a snake, and they're so beautiful to observe. I've been fascinated by them since childhood, and once I finally got one I couldn't stop - it's a serious addiction, LOL.

Old 06-08-2011, 09:46 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,436,651 times
I know people like and enjoy their pet snakes i have known people who own pets snakes, but when they have to feed rats or mice to them, something in me, makes me not like the snake, even though they have got to eat. Something not maternal about a snake, not only to look at, but they are just cold looking. And not needing human touch as a cat or dog would.

I think it takes the right people to own and take care of snakes and appreciate them. They are fascinating to observe, and to look at, personally for me a snake does not do it, but different pets for different folks.

I don't see snakes bonding with those that feed them either, or bonding with any human. But that is what makes this big world go on, people like and appreciate different things and i respect that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets