Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2019, 06:16 AM

23,222 posts, read 29,066,081 times

Advertisements

I read that some time ago, true or not, and if not true, what would be the 3rd most popular?

I've had 7 ferrets over 25 years, and have met any number of ferret owners, even in CA where they are illegal yet.

I just moved to a 55+ senior mobile home co-op here in Tucson and I'm the first to have one here, and I take him on leash walks every night in the community (they're nocturnal, can't walk them in the day time) and he's become the darling of the community. Most are surprised you can walk them on a leash. In my 22 years in Las Vegas, I regularly walked one of my ferrets on the Las Vegas Strip, and that where I'd run into any number of visiting Californians who told me of the ferrets they had over there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2019, 07:39 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,085,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I read that some time ago, true or not, and if not true, what would be the 3rd most popular?

I've had 7 ferrets over 25 years, and have met any number of ferret owners, even in CA where they are illegal yet.

I just moved to a 55+ senior mobile home co-op here in Tucson and I'm the first to have one here, and I take him on leash walks every night in the community (they're nocturnal, can't walk them in the day time) and he's become the darling of the community. Most are surprised you can walk them on a leash. In my 22 years in Las Vegas, I regularly walked one of my ferrets on the Las Vegas Strip, and that where I'd run into any number of visiting Californians who told me of the ferrets they had over there.
I used to keep them, but I prefer skunks.

Old 04-29-2019, 07:22 PM

577 posts, read 495,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboa View Post
I used to keep them, but I prefer skunks.
Bet you do not have any problems with people stopping you and saying," Oh, its SO cute. Can I pet it" ??

Old 04-29-2019, 08:10 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 11 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,989,189 times
There was a time when ferrets were very popular.

Not so much now. As amusing as they were, they stink and bite. So not so great.

If I had to guess now, they're way way down in the noise after dogs, cats, birds, reptiles, rats, hamsters, etc.

Old 04-29-2019, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post

If I had to guess now, they're way way down in the noise after dogs, cats, birds, reptiles, rats, hamsters, etc.
Today when you buy a ferret at a pet store, they come de-scented.

I would be leery of handling any ferret that's been caged, and all 7 of mine over 25 years wouldn't even know what a cage looks like. When I'd walk my ferrets on the Las Vegas Strip at night, with any number of tourists picking him up for a selfie, never a bite. I walk my ferret downtown and around my 55+ community, people holding out heir hands to pet them, and never a bite.

I took in a ferret, one time, who had been caged for a couple years, and for the first month, he bit and bit, fearful, perhaps, I was going to put him into a cage. He finally got over it and trusted me.

One of the reasons I have ferrets is the bark of a dog goes right through me, and I wanted a pet I could take on leash walks, that didn't make any noise, and I like the fact that my ferret sleeps at least 20-21 hours a day and they're not demanding at all.

Last edited by tijlover; 04-29-2019 at 09:13 PM..

Old 04-29-2019, 09:13 PM

14,327 posts, read 11,719,111 times
I live in California where ferrets are, indeed, illegal, and though I have known a few people who have them, birds and fish are far more common as pets than ferrets.

I had a friend who worked at one of the Disneyland hotels, and one day he found a ferret running down a hallway. He caught it, but it was never claimed--no doubt because they are illegal!--so he kept it. It was a spayed female, and she was cute and funny.

Old 04-30-2019, 04:26 AM

When I walked my ferret on the Las Vegas Strip, many a year, naturally, you're going to run into visiting Californians, and I met up with a great number of them who had ferrets in California, legal or not, and they were envious that I could walk my ferret openly and they couldn't.

I was asked a number of time where to buy them in Las Vegas (Tropical Pets on Tropicana always carried them) and I told them where and a number of them were planning to buy one there and transport back to Southern California.

From my understanding, it's Big Ag that's opposed to their legality, fearing they'll get loose and run rampant through the agricultural area, but that hasn't happened elsewhere in this country.

If a ferret is confiscated by the police in CA, they're generally sent over to Phoenix to Ferret Rescue Centers, which is where I bought one of mine when living there.

Old 04-30-2019, 07:38 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 11 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,989,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
When I walked my ferret on the Las Vegas Strip, many a year, naturally, you're going to run into visiting Californians, and I met up with a great number of them who had ferrets in California, legal or not, and they were envious that I could walk my ferret openly and they couldn't.

I was asked a number of time where to buy them in Las Vegas (Tropical Pets on Tropicana always carried them) and I told them where and a number of them were planning to buy one there and transport back to Southern California.

From my understanding, it's Big Ag that's opposed to their legality, fearing they'll get loose and run rampant through the agricultural area, but that hasn't happened elsewhere in this country.

If a ferret is confiscated by the police in CA, they're generally sent over to Phoenix to Ferret Rescue Centers, which is where I bought one of mine when living there.
They're all spayed when you buy them, aren't they, so there's no real risk of them getting loose and populating an agricultural area.

Old 04-30-2019, 10:53 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,085,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post

Some folks just can't get over the fact that all wild animals have a musky odor and even though the skunks I used to keep had their the scent glands "snipped", they still had a musky odor. I remember when Arctic Blue Foxes became popular. Folks thought they could be house broken and there was that musky odor. Most were turned into shelters or rescues within 6 months.

Old 04-30-2019, 09:06 PM

I've always like the musky smell!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets