Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did you cry when your pet died?
Yes, I totally bawled 165 86.39%
I shed a few heartfelt tears 17 8.90%
I got a little moist/emotional 5 2.62%
I felt a little sad but that's it 2 1.05%
I didn't feel much 2 1.05%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 01:13 PM

2,087 posts, read 4,291,275 times

Advertisements

Did you cry when your pet died?-dsc02443.jpg

Did you cry when your pet died?-dsc02518.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
So sorry to hear about Meeko. He sure was a stunningly handsome. It sounds like you had such a wonderful relationship with him if he was ready to walk on a leash! Wow. That's bonding!

It is so worth it to take the effort to train your cat and spend time communicating with him or her. Isn't it? It brings the closeness to a much deeper level. My cat would answer me with a tiny meow every time I asked a question and usually respond by following thru if it involved a command. He probably started learning after figuring out that when I asked him, "Are you hungry?" before feeding him that food would follow. I would ask him if he wanted "to play" or "do tricks -- which would involve a session of begging, lying down, sitting up, giving paw and speaking or "jump up on the sofa" or "come over here" and so much more.

You can train a cat to do just about anything but getting them to walk on a leash is the hardest thing to teach them because they hate to be restrained. You must really miss him...... My cat slept with me too and waited for me and both cats waited for me at the door.
I just saw your post, I haven't been on CD for awhile, it's lovely ... Thank You. I still hate walking up to the front door of my house, re-realizing that he isn't waiting for me on the other side ... walking into a dark house, because I no longer have to leave the lights on for him ... he was afraid of the dark.

It's too bad more people don't "train" their cats. A few fun rituals really do add to the relationship. Meeko was raised in a family run daycare environment, or so said the "please don't hate us because we became allergic to our hand-raised, bottle-fed cat after 7 years and left him at a county shelter" note tape to his small cage.

I know he was learning right along side the children. He was wicked smart. There was also a picture of him sleeping curled up with the family dog, I'm guessing they didn't become allergic to the dog.

Because of that picture, and Meeko's osmotic ability to learn from the environment around him, I decided to try "dog" commands with him. He already knew "stay" so I tried "sit" and he sat, but even I was surprised when he knew "roll over"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 02:59 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,987,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leanansidhex View Post
Attachment 111487

Attachment 111486

I just saw your post, I haven't been on CD for awhile, it's lovely ... Thank You. I still hate walking up to the front door of my house, re-realizing that he isn't waiting for me on the other side ... walking into a dark house, because I no longer have to leave the lights on for him ... he was afraid of the dark.

It's too bad more people don't "train" their cats. A few fun rituals really do add to the relationship. Meeko was raised in a family run daycare environment, or so said the "please don't hate us because we became allergic to our hand-raised, bottle-fed cat after 7 years and left him at a county shelter" note tape to his small cage.

I know he was learning right along side the children. He was wicked smart. There was also a picture of him sleeping curled up with the family dog, I'm guessing they didn't become allergic to the dog.

Because of that picture, and Meeko's osmotic ability to learn from the environment around him, I decided to try "dog" commands with him. He already knew "stay" so I tried "sit" and he sat, but even I was surprised when he knew "roll over"
What a majestic looking cat. I'm sorry that you are without him.

It is surprising at how much they know, how well they can learn, without knowing language or speaking. I read a book authored by a person who had a multiple cat household. He had house rules for his cats. He said the first was the most difficult to train and subsequent cats became increasingly easy to adapt to the house rules. He was certain that somehow they were training each other.

Old 05-10-2013, 08:34 PM

2,087 posts, read 4,291,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
What a majestic looking cat. I'm sorry that you are without him.

It is surprising at how much they know, how well they can learn, without knowing language or speaking. I read a book authored by a person who had a multiple cat household. He had house rules for his cats. He said the first was the most difficult to train and subsequent cats became increasingly easy to adapt to the house rules. He was certain that somehow they were training each other.
Thank You, I think there was something different/unusual about Meeko.

My kitten, is learning a lot from my other cats, I often see him imitating something he has just watched one of them do. If it's Alfredo he's imitating, I'm thrilled, Olivia ... not so much

Old 05-18-2013, 12:55 AM

29,220 posts, read 22,410,518 times
I don't cry easily, but I'm growing more emotional as I age, so I cried more when my last dog died last year than in previous dog deaths. But I mourned all my dead pets deeply even if there were no tears. My mourning was the deepest and longest ever for my last dog, and was so painful I may never get another.

But the odds are I will, in time. All my dogs except for one or two have lived very long full lives, and there have been periods of several years when I didn't have a dog after I lost one. I have never gotten a puppy right away after one died, so I'll probably get another eventually.

I seldom have to look very hard; I have always owned border collies or australian shepherds, as I was raised on a ranch, and I know lots of folks who have good dogs; more often than not, someone will call me when they learn I'm looking for a puppy. Often, a family member will find one and give it to me. Since I look for intelligence most, and I'm not picky about looks, it is never hard for me to find a puppy who will suit me fine. And I'll suit the puppy fine, too.

Who knows? This is the time of year when puppies are born. I can say right now I don't want another dog, but all that can change in an instant when I see all the right stuff in a bumbling fuzzball who lands in my lap.

Old 05-19-2013, 03:34 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,020,645 times
I have had both cats and dogs as pets throughout my life, from infancy. I form very close mutually emotional relationships with my pets. Many times I have had a pet that has seen me through the loss of a human close to me. There has never been a pet I that didn't cry for, just as I have cried for the loss of mother, father, brother, sister, aunt, uncles, and more. I have had to say " goodbye" more times than I care to mention. It doesn't get any easier as I get older . I am 54 years old.

Old 05-17-2017, 08:51 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,872,031 times
Unhappy *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee
My beloved maltese, Tiger, died in my arms on New Years Eve of this year. I cried my eyes out. He was my first dog and the most gentle, loving, loyal, empathetic companion. He taught me a lot about unconditional love and I miss him terribly. Geesh, now I'm crying again.
Im so sorry............

I have cried almost everytime one of my pets has died........ One time I was sleeping and my dad came down to my room and told me buppy passed away....... It didnt really hit me right then but later when I got up,I cried like crazy!!

I miss bup-bup!! (She was my favourite I think... Her and my kitty cat that passed away a few years ago near christmas time)

Old 06-05-2017, 04:58 PM

27,175 posts, read 15,356,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyselec View Post
I lost my first dog in 1999 cried everyday on the way to work for over a month and got tears in my eyes right now. In 2010 my second dog went to visit my first dog because she was sick (throat cancer) I cried before and after she past but smiled when she took her last breath because she was in so much pain . I look at my wife and said why don't we get this option because it was so peaceful and she was out of pain. The worst part is I'm a big 6'2" 215lbs so I felt sorry for my Vets to see me crying like a baby. I even took the next day off of work to grieve. But like I told the wife a dog gives you 10-12 yrs of pure love, 6-12 months of hard grief and a lifetime of memories . The 6-12 months of grief is worth it

I'm an electrician and took the day we lost our Miniature Schnauzer, Gretchen, and the following two days off. Like yourself my long ride to & from work was filled with tears of heavy grieving and even at work when alone or with my head above the ceiling.

Old 06-07-2017, 08:13 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,082,515 times
I bawl.
Then I question why I do this to myself and say that I'll never get another dog/cat.
With time I realize I have the love to give and get another pet even though I know how it ends. All my pets hold a special place in my heart.

My boss let me have the day off when I put my cat down 3 years ago. I needed it and was very thankful

My dog is getting older and I sometime think of the day when he will pass. I will be a wreck...I honestly can't imagine life without him. Just typing this make me emotional

Old 06-07-2017, 08:25 PM

331 posts, read 316,352 times
I have taken as many as two days off work when I've lost a beloved cat. My wife and I just had to put to sleep the best cat who ever lived, and we are both still basket-cases 5 days later. I'm an elderly lawyer, and I have no shame in crying like a baby in my vet's office. My wife had to leave the office and walk around in the parking lot by herself. For that matter, our vet cried too. Anyone who doesn't cry after owning a pet for years should stick with potted plants, because odds are you're not much of a pet owner while they're living either.

Old 06-10-2017, 02:51 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,904,698 times
I've cried when I have had to have cats put to sleep due to them suffering ill health associated with age. I absolutely hate doing it and the hardest one was a cat named Ozzy who we had when my husband I had first got married. He was just a unique personality and was just shy of his 22nd birthday when we had to have him euthanized due to an aggressive jaw cancer. The vet was crying because she had taken care of him since he was a kitten.

I have cried over rabbits, a tarantula, rats, mice, hamsters, hermit crabs, fish, a cockatiel, finches, you name it...lol.

I got angry when someone laughed at me crying over a small fish I accidentally put down the kitchen sink drain while I was trying to change its water.

I'm sensitive when it comes to animals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets