Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2007, 11:01 PM

673 posts, read 3,145,810 times

Advertisements

Tonight my husband went to get our hamster, Ms. Huny, out of her cage. He played with her and was putting her into her little ball. She went in and then he closed it up and he DROPPED THE BALL! He felt soooo horrible! He immediately picked it up and Ms. Huny was laying on her back with her little legs moving wildly. He got her out and tried to comfort her and calm her down and he was soooo sad! He is a big animal lover I know he wouldnt do it on purpose. I just happened to be cutting up an apple and gave her a small piece which she ate happily. However, her poor nose is now bruised! Turns out she must have fallen face first and I checked her a while ago and she seemed to be ok but her bruise looks bad. This is what it looked like not long after it happened. Its a little bit larger now and is a little darker as well. I plan to keep a close eye on her but not really sure what I can do for her. I just feel so bad and I know my husband does too!

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b388/vturnage/100_0552.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2007, 12:07 AM

18 posts, read 117,302 times
Child services have been notified.

Old 10-21-2007, 12:55 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,478,979 times
Poor little guy! He should be ok, but keep an eye on him. He'll probably just have a sore nose for a few days.

Old 10-27-2007, 08:02 PM

768 posts, read 2,100,669 times
Poor baby! How's she doing now?

Old 10-28-2007, 05:42 PM

4 posts, read 14,482 times
Default I'd give arnica

Whever something like this happens I give the homeopathic remedy arnica which helps with bruises too. I also give rescue remedy to both the animals and myself to calm us all down. I hope your darling will be all OK soon.

Old 10-28-2007, 05:57 PM

673 posts, read 3,145,810 times
Update:

Ms. Huny is doing very well. It was discolored for about a day and then went back to normal. She is fine going back into her ball again and all is well!

Old 10-28-2007, 06:06 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,110,824 times
from an email that I received

If you have raised kids (or been one), and gone through the pet syndrome including toilet-flush burials for dead goldfish, the story below will have you laughing out LOUD!!
Overview: I had to take my son's hamster to the vet. Here's what happened:
Just after dinner one night, my son came up to tell me there was something wrong with one of the two hamsters he holds prisoner in his room. "He is just lying there looking sick", he told me, "I'm serious, Dad. Can you help?"
I put my best hamster-healer look on my face and followed him into his bedroom. One of the little rodents was indeed lying on his back, looking stressed.
I immediately knew what to do. (Call my wife.) "Honey", I called, "come look at the hamster!"
"Oh, my gosh", my wife diagnosed after a minute. "She's having babies."
"What?" My son demanded. "But their names are Bert and Ernie, Mom!"
I was equally outraged. "Hey, how can that be?!" "I thought we said we didn't want them to reproduce!" I accused my wife.
"Well, what do you want me to do, post a sign in their cage?!" She inquired. (I actually think she had the gall to say this sarcastically.)
"No, but you were supposed to get two boys!" I reminded her (in my most loving, calm, sweet voice, while gritting my teeth together).
"Yeah, Bert and Ernie!" My son agreed.
"Well, it s just a little hard to tell on some guys, ya know" she informed me. (Again with the sarcasm, ya think?)
By now the rest of the family had gathered to see what was going on. I shrugged, deciding to make the best of it.
"Kids, this is going to be a wondrous experience" I announced. We're about to witness the miracle of birth."
"OH, Gross!" they shrieked.
"Well, isn't THAT just great! What are we going to do with a litter of tiny little hamster babies?" my wife wanted to know. (I really do think she was being snotty here, too. Don't you?)
We peered at the patient. After much struggling, what looked like a tiny foot would appear briefly, vanishing a scant second later.
We don't appear to be making much progress, I noted. "It's breech," my wife whispered, horrified.
"Do something, Dad!" my son urged.
Okay, okay. Squeamishly, I reached in and grabbed the foot when it next appeared, giving it a gingerly tug. It disappeared. I tried several more times with the same results.
"Should I call 911?" my eldest daughter wanted to know, "Maybe they could talk us through the trauma." (You see a pattern here with the females in my house?)
"Let s get Ernie to the vet," I said grimly.
We drove to the vet with my son holding the cage in his lap.
"Breathe, Ernie, breathe," he urged.
"I don t think hamsters do Lamaze," his mother noted to him. (Women can be so cruel to their own young. I mean what she does to ME is one thing, but this boy is of her womb, for God's sake.)
The vet took Ernie back to the examining room and peered at the little animal through a magnifying glass.
"What do you think, Doc, a c-section?" I suggested scientifically. My son appeared impressed by my observation.
"Oh, very interesting," he murmured. "Mr. and
Mrs. Cameron, may I speak to you privately for a moment?" I gulped, nodding for my son to step outside.
"Is Ernie going to be okay?" my wife asked.
"Oh, perfectly," the vet assured us. "This hamster is not in labor. In fact, that isn't EVER going to happen... Ernie is a boy."
What!?
"You see, Ernie is a young male AND occasionally, as they come into maturity, like most male species, they um.... er.... masturbate, just the way he did, lying on his back."
He blushed, glancing at my wife. "Well, you know what I m saying, Mr. Cameron."
We were silent, absorbing this. "So Ernie s just...just...Excited?" My wife offered.
"Exactly", the vet replied, relieved that we understood. More silence.
Then my vicious, cruel wife started to giggle. In addition, giggled then even laugh loudly.
"What s so funny?" I demanded, knowing, but not believing that the woman I married would commit the upcoming affront to my flawless manliness.
Tears were now running down her face. "It's just...that...I m picturing you pulling on its...its...teeny little...", she gasped for more air to bellow in laughter once more.
"That's enough", I warned. We thanked the Veterinarian and hurriedly bundled the hamsters and our son back into the car.
He was glad everything was going to be okay.
"I know Ernie s really thankful for what you've done, Dad", he told me.
"Oh, you have NO idea", my wife agreed, once again collapsing into laughter.

Enough said.

Old 11-01-2007, 07:58 AM

Location: Boonies of Georgia ~~~~ nuttier than a squirrel turd !
1,950 posts, read 5,159,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
from an email that I received

If you have raised kids (or been one), and gone through the pet syndrome including toilet-flush burials for dead goldfish, the story below will have you laughing out LOUD!!
Overview: I had to take my son's hamster to the vet. Here's what happened:
Just after dinner one night, my son came up to tell me there was something wrong with one of the two hamsters he holds prisoner in his room. "He is just lying there looking sick", he told me, "I'm serious, Dad. Can you help?"
I put my best hamster-healer look on my face and followed him into his bedroom. One of the little rodents was indeed lying on his back, looking stressed.
I immediately knew what to do. (Call my wife.) "Honey", I called, "come look at the hamster!"
"Oh, my gosh", my wife diagnosed after a minute. "She's having babies."
"What?" My son demanded. "But their names are Bert and Ernie, Mom!"
I was equally outraged. "Hey, how can that be?!" "I thought we said we didn't want them to reproduce!" I accused my wife.
"Well, what do you want me to do, post a sign in their cage?!" She inquired. (I actually think she had the gall to say this sarcastically.)
"No, but you were supposed to get two boys!" I reminded her (in my most loving, calm, sweet voice, while gritting my teeth together).
"Yeah, Bert and Ernie!" My son agreed.
"Well, it s just a little hard to tell on some guys, ya know" she informed me. (Again with the sarcasm, ya think?)
By now the rest of the family had gathered to see what was going on. I shrugged, deciding to make the best of it.
"Kids, this is going to be a wondrous experience" I announced. We're about to witness the miracle of birth."
"OH, Gross!" they shrieked.
"Well, isn't THAT just great! What are we going to do with a litter of tiny little hamster babies?" my wife wanted to know. (I really do think she was being snotty here, too. Don't you?)
We peered at the patient. After much struggling, what looked like a tiny foot would appear briefly, vanishing a scant second later.
We don't appear to be making much progress, I noted. "It's breech," my wife whispered, horrified.
"Do something, Dad!" my son urged.
Okay, okay. Squeamishly, I reached in and grabbed the foot when it next appeared, giving it a gingerly tug. It disappeared. I tried several more times with the same results.
"Should I call 911?" my eldest daughter wanted to know, "Maybe they could talk us through the trauma." (You see a pattern here with the females in my house?)
"Let s get Ernie to the vet," I said grimly.
We drove to the vet with my son holding the cage in his lap.
"Breathe, Ernie, breathe," he urged.
"I don t think hamsters do Lamaze," his mother noted to him. (Women can be so cruel to their own young. I mean what she does to ME is one thing, but this boy is of her womb, for God's sake.)
The vet took Ernie back to the examining room and peered at the little animal through a magnifying glass.
"What do you think, Doc, a c-section?" I suggested scientifically. My son appeared impressed by my observation.
"Oh, very interesting," he murmured. "Mr. and
Mrs. Cameron, may I speak to you privately for a moment?" I gulped, nodding for my son to step outside.
"Is Ernie going to be okay?" my wife asked.
"Oh, perfectly," the vet assured us. "This hamster is not in labor. In fact, that isn't EVER going to happen... Ernie is a boy."
What!?
"You see, Ernie is a young male AND occasionally, as they come into maturity, like most male species, they um.... er.... masturbate, just the way he did, lying on his back."
He blushed, glancing at my wife. "Well, you know what I m saying, Mr. Cameron."
We were silent, absorbing this. "So Ernie s just...just...Excited?" My wife offered.
"Exactly", the vet replied, relieved that we understood. More silence.
Then my vicious, cruel wife started to giggle. In addition, giggled then even laugh loudly.
"What s so funny?" I demanded, knowing, but not believing that the woman I married would commit the upcoming affront to my flawless manliness.
Tears were now running down her face. "It's just...that...I m picturing you pulling on its...its...teeny little...", she gasped for more air to bellow in laughter once more.
"That's enough", I warned. We thanked the Veterinarian and hurriedly bundled the hamsters and our son back into the car.
He was glad everything was going to be okay.
"I know Ernie s really thankful for what you've done, Dad", he told me.
"Oh, you have NO idea", my wife agreed, once again collapsing into laughter.

Enough said.
Got to help a brother out.... don't you !
Too Freaking funny !
This story would become a running joke in my house !
LOL

Old 02-03-2015, 05:28 PM

1 posts, read 4,645 times
My hamster missey got her toe stuck in her cage. Got her out okay but now she has a bruse on the toes. Should I be worried?????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets