U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2013, 06:11 PM

1,122 posts, read 3,353,357 times

Advertisements

I took my 6-months old foster kitten to a low cost clinic at Petco to get her a rabies shot and microchip. I take most of my foster cats there for these things and never had a problem. Yesterday was a different story though. This vet was an elderly man with quite a different protocol than I've ever seen and I've had dozens of cats and dogs microchipped at different places. This guy started by shaving a 2x2 area between her shoulder blades shaved, used two very cold antiseptics and gave her a local anesthetic which required an injection in three different places. It took ten minutes for the local to set in so we had to put the kitten back in the carrier, walk around the store and come back. The vet cleaned the area again, inserted the microchip and then poured a big glob of surgical glue over the puncture wound. It was so much that it spilled out covering almost half of the shaved area. This is being done in the middle of a busy pet store full of people and dogs so, needless to say, the kitten was pretty freaked out. Something that should have taken five seconds turned into a fifteen minute ordeal.

I thought the whole thing was ridiculous and unnecessarily complicated and drawn out but the kitten is being adopted this coming week so it had to get done. I was a bit annoyed by the overkill because it was stressful for the kitten but by the time we got home she was just fine.

Later last night though she started to become quite uncomfortable. She started to run around, stopping here and there to rub her back on the floor. She couldn't sit still and seemed very itchy. The glue had dried and seemed to be pulling on her skin. When I touched it she cried. The poor thing was miserable. She eventually scratched the spot so much that the dried glue started to come off like big scabs pulling hair and skin with it. Now she was still itchy but it was too painful to scratch and the whole thing seemed to be driving her nuts. She wouldn't even take her favorite treats from me.

She's doing better today but she now has a bald spot around the puncture wound where her short hair was pulled out by the glue. The glue pieces are still attached in one corner which puts her at risk of pulling it off taking more skin and hair with it. I was a bit annoyed by the long microchipping procedure at first but with all the discomfort the poor kitten went through last night I'm pissed.

Has anyone else had all this done to get an animal microchipped? Am I overreacting?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 08:43 PM

18,842 posts, read 35,630,498 times
Odd. Jasper was recently microchipped, it is a huge needle, I thought it would be drama. The tech held him, the vet put the needle in his neck, between his shoulder blades. No drama. I don't even think Jasper noticed it. No anesthesia, or shaving.

Old 03-04-2013, 12:37 AM

970 posts, read 2,108,535 times
All of our animals (dogs and cats) received their microchips via a very quick injection. I've never heard of using a local anesthetic.

Old 03-04-2013, 05:30 AM

7,329 posts, read 15,576,621 times
That's insane. I would complain to Banfield, telling them exactly what you told us. And never see that vet again.

Old 03-04-2013, 08:09 AM

19,856 posts, read 63,033,246 times
None of my 12 or so dogs/ cats got anything more than the quick shot. Write a letter to the manager of thsat section.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 03-04-2013, 10:07 AM

7,329 posts, read 15,576,621 times
Just looked again, and you said Petco, not Petsmart. Sorry Banfield!

Old 03-05-2013, 02:23 PM

6,591 posts, read 23,968,720 times
ive had most of my pets chipped and i DO microchipping...and NEVEREVER EVER have i heard of such a process...
some dogs and cats will get a tad upset (ive found this especially true of the bully breeds and goldens the only 2 breds ive ever consistently had yelp on me) but if youve got a good chipper is quick and easy (i wont say painless as ive been abed ith a chip needle and its a large guage) but MOST pets barly even flinch, that sounds much more painfull/stressfully thn any microchipping done on any animal ive ever known.

Old 03-05-2013, 02:47 PM

28,814 posts, read 21,465,788 times
My two hoodlum dogs are microchipped and it was over before I knew it. I did more worrying than the dogs even thought to do. It was quick, painless, (at least, no complaints from them), and there was no glue or anything of the sort.

Very strange. I would question it, too.

Old 03-06-2013, 06:31 PM

14,785 posts, read 22,485,602 times
this is what is known as padding the bill and yes you should complain to banfield . Yep my one boy is micro ed and it was really simple . No anthesia either .

Old 03-07-2013, 04:49 AM

6,191 posts, read 17,343,777 times
Ditto the others - had animals microchipped many times. No shaving, no glue, no pain injection.

Granted it's a big needle and probably not that comfortable but it's over in seconds and apart from a brief yowl or yelp, no distress.

I'd also question this practice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets