Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 07:57 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,019,605 times

Advertisements

I googled "Grampus" and according to Wikipedia a Grampus is a type of Dolphin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 08:58 AM

485 posts, read 1,953,408 times
My mistake-try Giant Whip Scorpion.

It's a very large vinegaroon-and I know you've seen or heard of them in Arizona.

Grampus is another name for them.

They emit a smell of vinegar-acetic acid-and when you see one for the first time you think it's a black lobster!

I think they're at the very upper end for possible size in arachnids-they look like they might weigh as much as a bird-eating spider.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:15 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Ahhh, thanks. Never heard of that nickname for a vinegaroon before.

Yeah, those are strange looking (but harmless) bugs that would scare the living crap out of the unaware. Same goes for tailless whipscorpions.

Old 07-16-2008, 02:44 PM

A grampus looks like something out of HP Lovecraft!

A friend of mine had a ''pet'' scorpion, one of those big black ones that looks like it was made out of a suit of armor.

He wondered why it hadn't moved in quite a while.

Damn thing was dead, it mummified where it stood, so he varnished it and put it on a shelf.

Enjoy your arachnid pets, but I'll stick with white mice.

Old 07-17-2008, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krakenten View Post
A grampus looks like something out of HP Lovecraft!

A friend of mine had a ''pet'' scorpion, one of those big black ones that looks like it was made out of a suit of armor.

He wondered why it hadn't moved in quite a while.

Damn thing was dead, it mummified where it stood, so he varnished it and put it on a shelf.

Enjoy your arachnid pets, but I'll stick with white mice.
Sounds like he had either a Heterometrus spp or Pandinus spp. The Pandinus imperator are commonly known as "emperor" scorpions. They rule. Big, slow, friendly beasts. Let me guess, he probably kept it dry and on sand, like I see soooo many people do. Its native to Togo and Ghana in Africa, very humid and damp places. People think that since theyre scorpions they must come from the desert or something. They couldnt be further from the truth.

Old 07-17-2008, 12:36 PM

Yes, yes and yes.

While we're at it, give us your wisdom on the Camel Spider from Iraq-the troops are very afraid of them.

I know it's a sort of whip scorpion-sometimes it's called a Sun Spider.

Another ugly brute, but how venomous?

Old 07-17-2008, 12:38 PM

Oh, yes-thanks for the information so far.

Scorpions are not my thing, but it's good stuff to know.

Old 07-18-2008, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krakenten View Post
Yes, yes and yes.

While we're at it, give us your wisdom on the Camel Spider from Iraq-the troops are very afraid of them.

I know it's a sort of whip scorpion-sometimes it's called a Sun Spider.

Another ugly brute, but how venomous?
Theyre nothing to be afraid of. They dont have venom, but have strong jaws that can deliver a painful bite if you mess with them. They can be small (1" leg span) to quite large (5" leg spans on some species). Theyre not related to whipscorpions, they are solifugids. Your common name is correct as "sun spider". They are also known as "sun scorpions" and "camel spiders". In any case, that photo that went around the internet was blown WAY out of proportion. Those were just 2 solifugids locked together and held close to the lens. They were probably about 2-3" at best, which is quite common for Middle-Eastern solifugids. Ive seen many videos from Iraq on YouTube, showing them killing camel spiders and its sad, they arent harming ANY SOLDIERS OR ANY CAMELS. The soldiers just believe the stupid wives-tales like everyone else does I suppose.

Old 07-18-2008, 06:29 PM

I'm still sticking with mice.

But thanks again.

Old 11-29-2008, 06:06 PM

2 posts, read 3,402 times
Default flat rock

Hi there

I have a flat rock scorpion im not sure what the proper name for one is tho, and im interested in getting another but i would like something different any ideas on what to get, just as the place i get them from has said to mention what i want and they will see what they can do to get me one but im hoping for a few suggestions if possible please.

Many thanks

And this place also has a sun spider and he is ugly but really amazing to watch it feed and how quick he really is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets