U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2013, 10:33 AM

36,756 posts, read 13,691,228 times

Advertisements

It's happened again.

Neighbors have apparently been complaining to authorities and local "animal welfare" agencies about a German Sheperd reportedly being abused since he was a puppy, about a year ago. Evidently, it's the fun thing to do at this house of horrors to have the kids shoot paintballs at the tied-up dog, have the father hose off the paint outdoors, and then beat him with a rake.

When Lollypop Farm claimed they couldn't do anything without proof, the neighbors videotaped the abuse and sent it to the police and LF. An investigation ensued but, since the owner has "stopped cooperating," they claim they can't do anything. What are they waiting for? Another dead dog?

That's what happened a few years back in the middle of summer. Neighbors complained about a dog chained in its backyard with no shade in upper 90-degree heat. Weeks later, authorities found the dog, dead with its water bowl (empty, anyway) a foot further than the dog's chain.

I can tell you story on story of these cases in which viewers and readers are reminded that pets are personalty in this state, and that's why they "can't just remove animals without cause." Then we're reminded to call the anonymous hotline when we suspect abuse. Why?

Reasonable people are outraged, and I don't blame them. But, even if you're not personally aware of such cases, a quick search will tell you that this is par for the course at far too many agencies whose mission is purportedly to care for animals.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 10:42 AM

1,286 posts, read 3,360,745 times
Neighbors need to go up the chain....local idiots do nothing, then go to the next level...they may be knuckle-draggers too so then go higher. Take photos, call national groups.

Makes me sick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
It's happened again.

Neighbors have apparently been complaining to authorities and local "animal welfare" agencies about a German Sheperd reportedly being abused since he was a puppy, about a year ago. Evidently, it's the fun thing to do at this house of horrors to have the kids shoot paintballs at the tied-up dog, have the father hose off the paint outdoors, and then beat him with a rake.

When Lollypop Farm claimed they couldn't do anything without proof, the neighbors videotaped the abuse and sent it to the police and LF. An investigation ensued but, since the owner has "stopped cooperating," they claim they can't do anything. What are they waiting for? Another dead dog?

That's what happened a few years back in the middle of summer. Neighbors complained about a dog chained in its backyard with no shade in upper 90-degree heat. Weeks later, authorities found the dog, dead with its water bowl (empty, anyway) a foot further than the dog's chain.

I can tell you story on story of these cases in which viewers and readers are reminded that pets are personalty in this state, and that's why they "can't just remove animals without cause." Then we're reminded to call the anonymous hotline when we suspect abuse. Why?

Reasonable people are outraged, and I don't blame them. But, even if you're not personally aware of such cases, a quick search will tell you that this is par for the course at far too many agencies whose mission is purportedly to care for animals.

Old 10-22-2013, 01:20 PM

18,694 posts, read 10,691,981 times
Good grief, people are sick...

How frustrating and heartbreaking. I agree with atina to keep pushing it higher. Can you get the local news to take an interest in this problem? If there is some publicity to the case perhaps some momentum can be generated to change the laws to actually give some power to animal welfare officers.

Old 10-22-2013, 01:52 PM

27,076 posts, read 14,293,507 times
Then you do something: post photos on posters in stores, pay for an ad in the newspaper (make sure your facts are provable to avoid a lawsuit), and then there's always facebook.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Good grief, people are sick...

How frustrating and heartbreaking. I agree with atina to keep pushing it higher. Can you get the local news to take an interest in this problem? If there is some publicity to the case perhaps some momentum can be generated to change the laws to actually give some power to animal welfare officers.

Update: After weeks of protests by people after the video was posted on Facebook and appeared on every local news station, the owner took the dog to Lollypop Farm, and was then arrested. His court date is Thursday.

What's not clear, though, is whether or not he surrendered the dog, an important distinction since the neighbor who took the video is considering withdrawing her complaint due to harassment and threats from the family.

Old 10-23-2013, 01:34 PM

429 posts, read 921,229 times
Quote:
Update: After weeks of protests by people after the video was posted on Facebook and appeared on every local news station, the owner took the dog to Lollypop Farm, and was then arrested. His court date is Thursday.

What's not clear, though, is whether or not he surrendered the dog, an important distinction since the neighbor who took the video is considering withdrawing her complaint due to harassment and threats from the family.

I would think that since the video has already been made public and copies of it are circulating that it wouldnt matter if the neighbor withheld the video or not since a copy of it could be provided to the courts from many other sources. I dont know the laws in regards to thi sort of thing, so i could be wrong.

Old 10-23-2013, 06:12 PM

18,694 posts, read 10,691,981 times
Quote:

What the neighbor did was a very good thing. Sorry she is being harassed by the family. If they were not animal abusers they would not have any reason to bother her...they deserve everything they get for this.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beans213 View Post
I would think that since the video has already been made public and copies of it are circulating that it wouldnt matter if the neighbor withheld the video or not since a copy of it could be provided to the courts from many other sources. I dont know the laws in regards to thi sort of thing, so i could be wrong.
That's what I thought, too. Since it's already been made public, anyone could submit the evidence. In addition, there are multiple neighbors who're on record as having complained, some going back months.

His court appearance is today; we'll see what happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets