U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 09:32 AM

6,558 posts, read 6,725,684 times

Advertisements

Now's the time of year when the ASPCA puts all those heart tugging ads on tv, so I decided to do some research to determine whether or not to give money to them.

Here's what I've found:

Charity Navigator, which rates ALL charities throughout the country, gives the ASPCA an overall rating of 50.06 out of 70. Their financial score is 41.97 out of 70, transparancy score is 67 out of 70 (so that's good, anyway.)

Here's how they spend the money they take in:

58.4 % on program expenses (what they say they are there to do)
5.2 % administrative expenses
36.2 % on fundraising ( way out of whack, in my opinion, compared to the amount spent on programs)
3.6 % on revenue growth
12.8 % program expenses growth

Their president is Edwin J. Sayres. He earns $566,064.00 a year (OH MY GOD!!!!!). That is .38% of the total ASPCA budget.

The Humane Society of the United States, which performs the same mission, scores 62.86 out of 70.

So, now, what do they DO with their program spending. The ASPCA is based in New York City. How much of those funds come to Minnesota, my state?

According to their website: "The Anti-Cruelty Group is the branch of the ASPCA that halts and prevents animal cruelty through professional education, enforcement of New York City's anti-cruelty laws and by lobbying for stronger humane legislation nationwide." Ooops - a clear and stated emphasis on action in New York City.

Also according to their website: "It happens more often than you might think: ASPCA Humane Law Enforcement (HLE) Agents receive a call about a New York City resident who, like thousands of hoarders nationwide, is housing more animals than she can care for adequately." Ooops again, a clear and stated emphasis on action in New York City.

From their website: "So what can the ASPCA do? How can we help the animals involved? Enter our Cruelty Intervention Advocacy (CIA) program, created to assist HLE Agents with animal hoarding cases and to protect New York City companion animals who are in danger of abuse or neglect . . . "
Oops, again.

Well, I send best wishes to the animals of New York City, but I will give my money to my LOCAL shelter, which is desperate for money and which helps animals in my area.

Hope everyone else who is moved by those ASPCA tv ads does their research, too.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2013, 01:58 PM

26,707 posts, read 14,083,340 times
me too. Charity Navigator is one of my favorite sites.

Old 12-23-2013, 02:32 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,031,486 times
If you local group is a simply a small foster based one then most likely it is ALL VOLUNTEER, with no paid help beyond those professional services such as the vets and maybe a tax preparer or accountant.

If they have a shelter, even a small one, then they generally have to have a small paid staff to keep things running but still rely on volunteers for the vast majority of the work done, from caring for animals, record keeping, fund raising, etc.

If you can afford to donate any time that is so needed by every organization, big or small. There are lots of things that can be done from your own home, helping keep up with the website, facebook pages, e-mail, voice mail, writing thank you notes to donors, working on a newsletter if they have one, etc.

If they take animals and supplies to adoption events at such places as Petsmart, Petco, etc. they can use a hand helping out for a few hours to handle to dogs, help unload and set up and take down equipment (canopies, tables, crates, x-pens, etc.) and I know that at the end of the day when we and the dogs are tired a helping hand for half an hour makes a difference.

One the weekends there are transports that need drivers to help get critters from one rescue to another or to their forever homes when there are approved adopters who are not local. Driving one leg of about 50 to 80 miles can save so many lives.

Some shelters have "weekend foster" programs so that dogs that have been there for a bit can have a chance to live in a house and maybe get to do some extra fun things such as a trip to the park or beach and to get a good dose of one on one attention.

Lots of ways to help, all depending on how much time and energy you have.

Old 12-23-2013, 02:41 PM

6,209 posts, read 6,968,394 times
Thanks for the great post.

I agree, there are many organizations which really play the pity card --- because it works well enough to make them money.

We keep pet food in our car so that when we are out and meet a friend in need, we are prepared to ease their hunger.

The world isn't the way I would like it to be, so all I can do is feed one hungry mouth at a time, and avoidithe greedy promoters.

Not to be too selfish, but it would be nice if the critters at my house at least left a little space my in bed for me!

Old 12-25-2013, 03:34 PM

8 posts, read 10,968 times
I know how your feel Heidi60, my furry babies don't want the whole bed, only the CENTER. And then they want to stretch out as loooong as they can. Across the width of the bed, of coarse, rather than the length. We're kind of left clinging to the edges. Love them "kids".

Unfortunately we found out last week that our local shelter will be closing down at the end of the year, due to lack of money. All the animals will need to find homes by the end of the year or be put down.

Old 12-26-2013, 11:24 AM

1,119 posts, read 2,090,556 times
Thanks for a great post!! Think and act locally and your $$$ and time has SO much more impact and you can actually SEE where it goes, now doesn't that feel good??

I donate blood and obviously can't see where that goes but other than that all my donations are to local charities. I shop at the local animal shelter thrift store. They have weekly tag sales and I purchase whatever's on sale, launder it then take it to work and put it in the clothing closet for patients. That way the local shelter benefits and so do my patients. I think of it as local recycling =)

If you can't donate money think about donating time, or those items you no longer use/want that are gently used. Most of us have enough for a decent box or three =)

Opportunities for giving abound, all it takes is a few minutes to decide what suits us best.

Old 10-01-2015, 08:55 PM

3 posts, read 4,042 times
When you give to ASPCA instead of the Humane Society you are supporting PETA and a few millionaires. Please donate to your Humane society shelter or your local no kill shelter.

Old 10-01-2015, 08:56 PM

3 posts, read 4,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren Yates View Post
When you give to ASPCA instead of the Humane Society you are supporting PETA and a few millionaires. Please donate to your Humane society shelter or your local no kill shelter.

Old 10-02-2015, 12:02 PM

6,209 posts, read 6,968,394 times
I read some reports generated by a pathologist which detailed how lab animals, especially puppies are treated. It made me cry for the little ones that only know a caged life waited to be used for profit.

Old 10-06-2015, 06:51 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,194,787 times
Please do not associate all local Humane Societies with HSUS. The Humane Society of the United States is an animal rights organization with ties to PETA and is widely known to be corrupt. Most Humane Societies are NOT affiliated with HSUS and are honest and well run and are animal WELFARE organizations. Big damn difference.The HSUS gives to no shelters and maintains no shelters of their own. This watchdog group can fill you in,

humanewatch.org
Home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets